Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 10:07   #1

Boat: Baba 30
Owning a Catamaran in Puget Sound, WA

Hi. My wife and I are nearing retirement, having owned 5 cruising sailboats over the years, cruised to Mexico and Alaska from Puget Sound. We've decided to make the move from monohull to a live-aboard cruising catamaran. I'd like to hear from any cat owners in this area regarding the logistics of owning a 40ft catamaran in Puget Sound; mooring availability & cost, haul-out facilities, etc...
As a Marine Technician I've worked on plenty of catamarans and even delivered a few around the area, but I never had to consider the nuts and bolts of ownership here in Wa. The boats we're considering are 40 footers.

Thanks so much!
Bob and Sharon.
Old 24-07-2019, 07:55   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Owning a Catamaran in Puget Sound, WA

I just had a 34' tri here but I'll give my 2 cents. It appears that you are in Port Townsend and that's just about the best place for haul out and repairs. Anacortes and Everett have facilities and I think Seattle too. There's nothing in the south sound anymore that can haul out a cat. I kept my 24' wide tri in Port Orchard mainly because of the reasonable rates. Gig Harbor would have been triple the price if they had room. However there are cats in Bremerton, PO, and GH now. There's a Lagoon 440 in PO which is about the biggest I have seen in a marina. A Venezia 42 is currently cruising the sound and there's a Voyage 440 that has a private mooring ball.
Old 25-07-2019, 16:34   #3

Boat: Baba 30

Thanks Sand Crab. That's exactly the kind of info we're looking for. Unfortunately Port Townsend and Port Hadlock don't have much lineal dock space available, and what they do have is exposed to traffic and weather. Liberty Bay marina in Poulsbo will probably be our base, we had a slip there several years ago, it's protected, clean, and there's not a 4 year waiting list!
We are seeing more cats haul-out in Port Townsend, using the big lift. We like Anacortes and Everett, it's good to hear they can haul us out.

Thanks again.
Bob
s/v DejaVu
Old 26-07-2019, 08:43   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My old tri is/was at Port Hadlock and he had to wait a bit for an opening.
When you do get your boat I recommend a cruise down to Gig Harbor. There are a few transient docks and you can pull up to the public one for free during daytime hours and pumpout is free. It has a free dinghy dock if you want to anchor in the harbor. 2 restaurants also have their own docks for diners. And there is a free bus to get you to the grocery stores if needed.
I forgot to mention the 3 breweries.
Old 13-09-2019, 23:11   #5

Boat: Seawind 1160

I’ve hauled my Seawind 1160 multiple times in Bellingham at Seaview North. Personally, I think Squalicum Marina is a great spot, as the town has good dining options, and it’s an easy sail out to Sucia.
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, puget sound