Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 08:36   #16

Boat: Catana 41
Re: Owners of a Catana - The two helms exposed and your experience

We'll see if it's a great deal or not in the long run, but we certainly got it for a good price. As for purchasing during Covid. I'm furloughed from my job running a dinner cruise boat here in Honolulu, and we'd sold our old boat over a year ago. Hawaii and French Polynesia both have kept the virus pretty well under control. We certainly spent some money on Covid tests, but one the biggest hassles was that they aren't running the direct flights anymore, so I had to travel for over 24 hours through San Francisco for what used to be a 6 hour flight. Of course the bureaucracy took almost a month after we transferred the money to get us all the paperwork we needed to leave the country and get back into the US, but I needed that time to get the boat prepped anyways.

Comparing the helm position to a monohull, is kinda tough. I feel like I get a lot less spray on this boat than I did on my old monohull, but I just haven't owned it long enough. I cruised my old Downeast 32 for 8 years all through the Pacific with no dodger, so I'm probably not a good data point when it comes to demanding creature comforts. The helms on the Catana 41 are exposed, there's no dodger and the bimini stops a few feet away. I've seen little biminis that people have put over the helm stations on outboard helm cats and they always look awkward and look like they'd be of questionable value. As always in boat design, to get one feature, you give up another. I like the openness of the cockpit with the outboard wheels. I like the feel and relative simplicity of the steering. I like feeling like I'm sailing when I'm hand steering. I love the layout of the sailing controls. I'm willing to tolerate wearing hats and lots of sunscreen as well as standing out in the pouring rain from time to time.
JasonBRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:31   #17

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBRose View Post
...I cruised my old Downeast 32 for 8 years all through the Pacific with no dodger, so I'm probably not a good data point when it comes to demanding creature comforts.

...I'm willing to tolerate wearing hats and lots of sunscreen as well as standing out in the pouring rain from time to time.
At least you are under no illusions and made an educated choice/compromise
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:09   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
An interesting fact. The catana 45 one off was built for the in the time Catana designer Christophe Barrault. Barraults Cat was built with one helm just behind the saloon bulkhead. May be liked strong sailing in more shelter....
There are 2 of these Catana 45 one offs. My friend here in Denmark owns the other, and it also have central bulkhead wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D80M.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	234168  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:25   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I zoomed in on the pic and it appears the C45 still has absolutely no protection unless there's a bimini that I can't see. All the other Catanas have the coach roof which is better than nothing.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:48   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I zoomed in on the pic and it appears the C45 still has absolutely no protection unless there's a bimini that I can't see. All the other Catanas have the coach roof which is better than nothing.
In Denmark it never rains and we need all the sun we can get! ;-) I didnt have bimini on my Lagoon 380 the first 8 years either ...
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:56   #21

There are some exellent and very robust helm shades on the Catana forum.

The new Ocean 49' will have a bulkhead wheel. It will be interesting to see how the mainsheet is controlled given Catana's history with the twin mainsheet and winches.

The rear wheels make for good feel, very easy maintenance, less stress on the autopilot and a full sail plan. I like to winch - it keeps me fit - and so I like to get over the winch like on a monohull, rather than at chest height. Steering from the stern I am another crew member when docking and leaving a berth.

There is nearly always a shady side and that aspect has never been a problem (and I don't like being in the sun even though we're currently cruising the Med).

When would I like a bulkhead? At night during a blow, which is, ironically the opposite situation to what most people ask about, and when carrying bulky items on board or off past the wheels.

Would I buy a Catana with a bulkhead wheel. Yes.

When would I like a flybridge - never (but then we are normally 2 up and don't charter).
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:44   #22

Here are some images of helm biminis on Catanas. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	234228Click image for larger version

Name:	a3-f28-m208961-efa8462808db640f6f4ae664274862fafc49cdb1.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	234229Click image for larger version

Name:	a3-f28-m208961-9663c90d6b7a872ace97d1aae55eff4311f06ef7.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	234230Click image for larger version

Name:	20210206_110656.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	234231Click image for larger version

Name:	20210206_110709.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	234232
Old 10-03-2021, 06:05   #23

I've seen those little helm biminis before but they look inadequate. I don't think any bimini there would do much good. I still like Catanas though. They were better than average I think.
That C90 is for sale if you got a couple extra mil laying around.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:37   #24

That's 25 or 30mm stainless steel secured to a helm station at two points. Not going anywhere. You could.swing on it. If you are serious pm me and I will put you in touch with some owners to discuss how they have faired.

As someone said earlier, this is as strong as a monohull bimini and you don't have to worry about whether the topping lift is.clearing it as is the case with a bulkhead or fly bridge canopy.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:46   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
That's 25 or 30mm stainless steel secured to a helm station at two points. Not going anywhere. You could.swing on it. If you are serious pm me and I will put you in touch with some owners to discuss how they have faired.

As someone said earlier, this is as strong as a monohull bimini and you don't have to worry about whether the topping lift is.clearing it as is the case with a bulkhead or fly bridge canopy.

I’m sure the Bimini’s are extremely strong, but will only protect you fully if the sun is dead overhead and partially if the sun is in any other position. Just to small.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:21   #26

That's what you need it for. When the sun is at an angle the mainsail and main bimini creates shade at one helm. The exception is if the sun is dead behind, when you would be correct, but then I either go forward of the saloon on the AP and steer from there, or throw on a hat and t-shirt (otherwise called a portable sun shield) ;-)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:40   #27

I like the new helm location on the “Ocean” series as it’s our preferred general style. Elevated for great views, which is important to us. (BUT not a top mount “flybridge” which distances you from cockpit and salon activities as well as forces an unacceptably high boom). We also like the versa helm on the Balance. From early on we loved the helm as set up on Leopards and it’s colored our view for sure.

As we’ve explored different options, we’ve pulled from our sailing experiences, and then when on boats we’ve not been out sailing on, we concentrate on just sitting and imagining all the different scenarios and necessary functions we encounter on multi-day passages. For a multitude of reasons, this resulted in us both giving a thumbs down to hanging out at the stern or aft gunnel of a couple different manufacturers. We also found these tiny patches of cover almost silly, both from practicality and aesthetics. We also give low points to boats where you are forced to look through the salon windows 12’ or so away. It’s like driving from the backseat of a van. Nice to see Catana get this right for cruisers. Well, at least these cruisers. Everyone is different.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’m sure the Bimini’s are extremely strong, but will only protect you fully if the sun is dead overhead and partially if the sun is in any other position. Just to small.
Yup. That's what I meant. I still like Catanas though.
Old 10-03-2021, 14:13   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
There are 2 of these Catana 45 one offs.
Now there's a concept!

Jim
Old 10-03-2021, 15:41   #30

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBRose View Post
We'll see if it's a great deal or not in the long run, but we certainly got it for a good price. As for purchasing during Covid. I'm furloughed from my job running a dinner cruise boat here in Honolulu, and we'd sold our old boat over a year ago. Hawaii and French Polynesia both have kept the virus pretty well under control. We certainly spent some money on Covid tests, but one the biggest hassles was that they aren't running the direct flights anymore, so I had to travel for over 24 hours through San Francisco for what used to be a 6 hour flight. Of course the bureaucracy took almost a month after we transferred the money to get us all the paperwork we needed to leave the country and get back into the US, but I needed that time to get the boat prepped anyways.

Comparing the helm position to a monohull, is kinda tough. I feel like I get a lot less spray on this boat than I did on my old monohull, but I just haven't owned it long enough. I cruised my old Downeast 32 for 8 years all through the Pacific with no dodger, so I'm probably not a good data point when it comes to demanding creature comforts. The helms on the Catana 41 are exposed, there's no dodger and the bimini stops a few feet away. I've seen little biminis that people have put over the helm stations on outboard helm cats and they always look awkward and look like they'd be of questionable value. As always in boat design, to get one feature, you give up another. I like the openness of the cockpit with the outboard wheels. I like the feel and relative simplicity of the steering. I like feeling like I'm sailing when I'm hand steering. I love the layout of the sailing controls. I'm willing to tolerate wearing hats and lots of sunscreen as well as standing out in the pouring rain from time to time.
You don't need a dodger like you do on a mono because the 2 helms are so far apart. Ie for weather the leeward helm effectively has a dodged as big as the saloon bulkhead.

One helm will always be sheltered.

I put one of those biminis on one helm for the admiral who is very fairskinned. It worked well for her. You can add a roll up shade for when the sun is astern. Good shade the rest of the time on it's own.

I found a always preferred the open helm though as better view of sails.

Like I said the compromises to this arrangement all have workable solutions.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana, enc, helm