Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 04:20   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Owned More Than One Type of Multihull ?

haven't known you long enough to predict how reasonably you might say something.
Old 15-01-2012, 00:00   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac, sailing catamaran, 10 meters

the Wharran Tiki30 tiller steering ersus hydraulic steering with my Catalac10m. Weather helm, perfect trim and balance very easy to achieve with the tiller steering, no autopilot, on the Tiki no proble as the steering is exhilirating, the cat is very light, smallest steering corrections total feeling of being one with the elements and the cat. Hydraulic steering not great fun hand wheel steering, as i once had to do for three days and nights with autopilot problem. The autopilot has taken over and yes there is a sense of less contact, feel, fun sailing, but more time to play with sails and trim, observe, relax, concentrate on the piloting. Both cats make quite a bit of leeway in certain conditions, but once you get used to that doesnt seem to matter much. The steering is ofcourse very different when motoring, the Tiki had 15hp 4stroke outboard in central well, as cat light easy to steer and correct errors, with Catalac i end up motoring more as sails dont go up or come down as easily as on Tiki, the twin inboard diesel marine engines give great control, under way motoring with one engine and the autopilot compensating the power from port or starboard located engine. In a windy conditions under sail the autopilot demands good balance or will kick out even after fine tuning adjustments.
quirimbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 01:47   #18
cruiser

Boat: Catalac, sailing catamaran, 10 meters

Richard Woods actually deals with issues we multihull sailboat owners are
concerned about and which we can comment about from our own multihull owner experience: Eclipse review
quirimbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 02:06   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
now that's being proa active.
ROFLMFAO
Old 15-01-2012, 04:18   #20

Boat: Manta 42

I currently sail and live onboard a Manta 42, but my wife and I started sailing as kids on a Hobie Cat 16 that we just loved. We moved on to keel boats and went as far as living aboard an Island Packet 350 for five years, which is as far away from a catamaran as you can get.

In 2007 we bought a new Gemini 105 to accommodate our dog that refused to heel, but found it a bit too small for a couple and a dog to live on. I know folks do it but for us it was too small; I'm a big guy. The Gemini was well thought out and had a few slick features.

Now on the Manta 42 plenty of room, sails good, and all the systems you could want, but when I see a Hobie flying accross the water I miss those days. It was great fun and I think more yacht clubs should have a feet of Hobies as with other dinghy classes. The thrill of sailing a Hobie blows away the wave runner water bug things kids want now a days. I'd like to pull a Hobie behind my Manta, this is of course humor. rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 05:53   #21
One of Those

Put a Tandem Island on board?
They come apart real easy into the main hull, two amas, four akas, and the mast. Assemble in five minutes. Could you distribute those pieces around the boat? The amas are light. And provide floatation, don't forget. stick em someplace where you'd like to have floatation if you ever needed some, ha ha. Anyhow the Heaviest piece the main hull, at about 90 lbs. I think. Goes like stink with the Mirage Drives as a tandem kayak alone. You can go 4 kts. all day long on your legs, with your hands free.
With the sail, we've hit 11 kts. on the GPS a couple of times, typically reefed a little, with the tramps rolled up, in the lee of a sand bar, in 20 kts. kind of setup. We hit 9-10 kt bursts often. that feels really quick when your butt is at water level. Think go-cart with a pedal drive backup. Paddles too, come to think of it. 3 forms of propulsion. We typically only use paddles for reversing and as a whisker pole.

We did have to scale the dog down to the little tri, but he loves the tramps...

If we had a cat big enough to distribute the load, we'd love to take a TI along. I think total weight is around 190 lbs. would that strap across the tramps? 90 lb part is 18 ft. long.

sails really well, with two big people, cooler, snorkel gear, and dog, no prob.
Old 15-01-2012, 06:21   #22

Very cool, already went online to check them out. It's always good to have one more toy on board and our dog likes a fast sail on a boat better than a pick-up truck ride. rich
Old 15-01-2012, 06:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Put a Tandem Island on board?
They come apart real easy into the main hull, two amas, four akas, and the mast. Assemble in five minutes. Could you distribute those pieces around the boat? The amas are light. And provide floatation, don't forget. stick em someplace where you'd like to have floatation if you ever needed some, ha ha. Anyhow the Heaviest piece the main hull, at about 90 lbs. I think. Goes like stink with the Mirage Drives as a tandem kayak alone. You can go 4 kts. all day long on your legs, with your hands free.
With the sail, we've hit 11 kts. on the GPS a couple of times, typically reefed a little, with the tramps rolled up, in the lee of a sand bar, in 20 kts. kind of setup. We hit 9-10 kt bursts often. that feels really quick when your butt is at water level. Think go-cart with a pedal drive backup. Paddles too, come to think of it. 3 forms of propulsion. We typically only use paddles for reversing and as a whisker pole.

We did have to scale the dog down to the little tri, but he loves the tramps...

If we had a cat big enough to distribute the load, we'd love to take a TI along. I think total weight is around 190 lbs. would that strap across the tramps? 90 lb part is 18 ft. long.

sails really well, with two big people, cooler, snorkel gear, and dog, no prob.
your'e definitely going to have to get a bigger dog,that one's not going to feed you for long on a desert island......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:03   #24
One of Those

We're training him to dive for conch and steal wallets from tourists.
Briefly thought about putting him though a DEA dog school, and then letting him flunk out after he learned all the basics. But he refuses to sign an employment contract and you know how the government is about their paperwork.

bigger dogs okay. each ama will float 220 lbs. You can stand up in the boat with them out. There are videos of families of four or more cruising around on Tandem Islands. There are some good deals around on used Adventure Islands, which was the original one person design. Those are a lot shorter, easier to pack, but you need to look at how much weight you want to sail with. Other than that, those are great, too. People use them for fishing, diving, etc. all over the world. Great little boats.
Old 15-01-2012, 10:33   #25

Our dog can't dive but she can fly and she can sleep. I dive for fish and shell while KT sleeps, she looks at us as ship wreaked treats. rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flying glen of imaal.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	36020  
Old 15-01-2012, 10:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamarich View Post
Our dog can't dive but she can fly and she can sleep. I dive for fish and shell while KT sleeps, she looks at us as ship wreaked treats. rich
i take it back if she can catch conch,dive for wallet's,snort drugs and fly,your probably best off with a small dog lol.....a stoned airbourne st.bernard could be a handful.....they are bad enough in the snow when they have been drinking
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:09   #27

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

A bi-rig catamaran? What, pray tell, is that?
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:12   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
A BI-RIG IS ONE THAT LIKES BOTH MALE OR FEMALE PRODDERS.....
Old 15-01-2012, 20:18   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
A BI-RIG IS ONE THAT LIKES BOTH MALE OR FEMALE PRODDERS.....
had to laugh
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:34   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1917_1web.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	36035  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull