Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 07:58   #46

Re: overpriced storm damaged catamarans40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It’s really no different than a damaged house. If the work is done properly it can be as good as new.
That's a pretty big IF.

If you fix bad cracks around your house windows and doors with weak cosmetic work, you might risk water on your floor during the next storm.

If you fix bad cracks around your boat's chainplates and rudder post with weak cosmetic work, you might risk your life during the next storm.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:03   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's probably folks who either made enough repairs to attract a higher price, or who have realized that they have bitten off more than they can chew. Or maybe a little of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
No, it’s boats that someone bought, made a stab at repairs, and realized they were in over their heads and threw in the towel. Most of the boats on YW have some level of “repairs”, mostly amateur glass work. Some even come with “donor” boats that have completely wrecked hulls.
Might also been this kind of situations, but a few boats i saw are auctioned again by the same companies that made the first "sale".
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:17   #48

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

I was looking at a cat with lightening damage and another which needed a new mast.. does anyone know if this makes them worth less despite being fixed (based on op's comments)
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 16:07   #49

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I was looking at a cat with lightening damage and another which needed a new mast.. does anyone know if this makes them worth less despite being fixed (based on op's comments)
What happened?
A boat needs a new mast because the original one was damaged while laying somewhere in the yard? No problem.
The boat was dismasted in a violent storm? Different story.
It was dismasted because it flipped? Oooops

Lighnintg depends on the damage. We once had a close missed lightning strike on our boat (it actually hit the boat anchored a few meters away in a crowded anchorage).This just killed the chartplotter and the mast head unit. Really doesn't count as lightning damage to me.

I also had a boat which had more damage while with the previous owner. The strike took out all electronics onboard. All! Including alternators, enegine panels, etc.

But again, it could be much worse, with damage to the standing rigging, chainplates, or even the laminate, especially if there is even the slightest amount of moist in the core. So it really depends.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:13   #50

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Well, here is your chance. BVI government has given notice, so these storm damaged boats will need to be moved or go to auction soon. Of course, you will need to hire locals with cranes, backhoes, barges or trailers to get them back to the water. Not much space left in any of the marina work yards.

https://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=29290
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:18   #51

Do not waste time with storm damaged boats. You have no idea what you will be getting into. Much easier ways to spend time and cash and get on the water.
Flextron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:06   #52

Seasoned broker advised to steer clear.
His tips:
'It's really only economical if you own a boat yard!'
and 'once an insurer has 'written off' that hull number, they will not re-insure it.'
ozwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:18   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwrangler View Post
'once an insurer has 'written off' that hull number, they will not re-insure it.'

Good point which I haven't seen mentioned in any similar threads about such "project boats".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 21:22   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

Hell, in the early salvage process they weren't even stripping anything, just squishing. Boats with good winches, blocks, davits, ect, just squishing and carting away. People were begging to go and remove parts, but were refused by the gun totting guards. Heartbreaking to watch a fantasic set of davits get squished by a track hoe.
Also heartbreaking to the starving, when they do that with crops and foodstuffs to maintain prices
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 00:26   #55

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
What happened?
A boat needs a new mast because the original one was damaged while laying somewhere in the yard? No problem.
The boat was dismasted in a violent storm? Different story.
It was dismasted because it flipped? Oooops

Lighnintg depends on the damage. We once had a close missed lightning strike on our boat (it actually hit the boat anchored a few meters away in a crowded anchorage).This just killed the chartplotter and the mast head unit. Really doesn't count as lightning damage to me.

I also had a boat which had more damage while with the previous owner. The strike took out all electronics onboard. All! Including alternators, enegine panels, etc.

But again, it could be much worse, with damage to the standing rigging, chainplates, or even the laminate, especially if there is even the slightest amount of moist in the core. So it really depends.
I'll have to ask a few questions.. on the lightening damaged one it fried everything electric but this was replaced under insurance.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 00:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I'll have to ask a few questions.. on the lightening damaged one it fried everything electric but this was replaced under insurance.
Define "everything".

If it was truly everything including cabling, circuit breaker panels, engine wiring, etc..., probably fine. If it was just the heads of the electronics, I would still be concerned about hidden damage that may not show up for a few months.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 00:43   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Also heartbreaking to the starving, when they do that with crops and foodstuffs to maintain prices
Where do people eat winches and davits?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:16   #58

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Define "everything".

If it was truly everything including cabling, circuit breaker panels, engine wiring, etc..., probably fine. If it was just the heads of the electronics, I would still be concerned about hidden damage that may not show up for a few months.
I think the opposite.
It only takes a minor voltage spike to kill all connected electronics. Once these are replaced, there should not be much to worry.

If not only the delicate electronics but also all electrics like wiring and switches etc have to be replaced its a massive strike. One that could damage fibreglass, wood or standing rigging along it's path. Much harder to determine the full extend of the damage.

With a lightning strike boat I'd thoroghly check standing rigging, as well as all structures around chainplates, mast, keels, bow sprit, hull anodes, through hulls, etc
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:22   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I think the opposite.
It only takes a minor voltage spike to kill all connected electronics. Once these are replaced, there should not be much to worry.

If not only the delicate electronics but also all electrics like wiring and switches etc have to be replaced its a massive strike. One that could damage fibreglass, wood or standing rigging along it's path. Much harder to determine the full extend of the damage.

With a lightning strike boat I'd thoroghly check standing rigging, as well as all structures around chainplates, mast, keels, bow sprit, hull anodes, through hulls, etc
Problem is it's hard to say if it was a minor or major hit and insurance companies don't like to pay for replacement of anything that can't be proven. The problem is arcing can leave damage that accelerates failure a few months down the road.

If absolutely everything is replaced, I'm not too worried. If only pieces are parts are replaced, I don't know what hidden damage is left.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:35   #60

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

What a very interesting thread , displaying differences in prices and situations in different parts of the world .
I am based in one of the most remote boat locations in South West Australia and to find a boat I have to search well away from our restricted local market.
I have bought and rebuilt several project boats and often wondered about storm damaged multihulls ,even contemplating flying to the Carribean for a look .

My formula to go sailing has evolved and eventually each time I look for and purchase what I consider a bargain (rare) vesell with good bones at least and then I go sailing with the intent to do a refit just prior to selling, this experience has produced a variety of plus and minus results to the budget , but each time I have had the usable time experience on the water first and then calculate the value of my journey within my pfofit and loss costs.

I am not a fan of the production charter Cats anyway but suppose as mentioned if you can be quick and grab one at the right price it might be worthwhile.

Pretty sad thinking of all that gear going to the scrap heap, the vagaries of import export I suppose , but wastage of expensive , financially and environmentally produced good is not a good look globally.
I once saw a load of wrecks on the beach at Cabo San Lucas (81?) getting chopped up and the clever Mexicans charged the owners import tax .

I am not sure how your customs works but the time I imported a very nice near new Cat into Australia my Registered Valuer explained the purchase cost was irrelevant and that he used a firesale tomorrow auction valuation that in my case was accepted .
After all as he explained if they challenged his value maybe I could ask them to find the money to buy my boat at their price .
I think in Thailand they can value an import at whatever price they like .

It seems nowadays there is very little amateur building going on but there are quite a few well built and designed boats here on the east coast of Australia , and if you purchased one, moved on board you would be half way home already.
Good luck .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, price