Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 16:21   #1

Outside opinions on cats. What would you choose?

I'm eyeballing two cats, and I'm having a tough time choosing between the two.

One's a Bali 4.3, the other is a Leopard 45. Both are evenly optioned in the 400K range, owners versions, and appear to be in the same condition. As far as I can tell, the main difference is the boat design itself. Bali, with the flybridge/lounge, solid foredeck, house style fridge, the large "garage door" style back end, and the Leopard with the walk-through lounge, front seating area, trampolines, 2ft in length, and protected helm position.

If you were considering either boat as a live-aboard, with the eventual goal of sailing around the world, which would you choose and why?
Morndenkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 16:58   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Outside opinions on cats. What would you choose?

Between those 2 the Leopard, given the price range neither.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 17:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Between those 2 the Leopard, given the price range neither.
What's wrong with the price range?
Old 19-06-2021, 17:54   #4
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morndenkainen View Post
What's wrong with the price range?

Nothing wrong with the price range. Just for that given price range I would choose a different cat.
Old 19-06-2021, 18:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Outside opinions on cats. What would you choose?

The Bali if your living aboard and staying coastal or maybe a pop over to the Bahama's.. definitely not an ocean boat.
A poseurs palace for hot chicks on the foredeck.
Just looked at the Leopard 45 and its a bit better but not by much..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 18:15   #6

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the price range. Just for that given price range I would choose a different cat.
Like what? Both of these boats seem to be pretty well equipped. Solar, water makers, Lithium batteries, dinghies included, etc. If there's a better boat out there for the price and time I'm going to spend on it, I'd hate to think I didn't even bother to look at it.
Old 19-06-2021, 18:25   #7
smj

Outside opinions on cats. What would you choose?

Quote:
Like what? Both of these boats seem to be pretty well equipped. Solar, water makers, Lithium batteries, dinghies included, etc. If there's a better boat out there for the price and time I'm going to spend on it, I'd hate to think I didn't even bother to look at it.

Your looking at a boat and judging it for its comfort and amenities. I look at a boat and judge it for its performance, ease of handling under sail, motion, build and how hard it is to work on. Nothing wrong with either scenario, just different priorities. Remember, there is life outside the basic production boats, and sometimes a better life.
Ask Boatman what he would do with a $400k budget and he would probably say buy a $50k Wharram and put the rest into a cruising kitty!
Old 19-06-2021, 19:34   #8
cruiser

Quote:
I'm eyeballing two cats, and I'm having a tough time choosing between the two.

One's a Bali 4.3, the other is a Leopard 45. Both are evenly optioned in the 400K range, owners versions, and appear to be in the same condition. As far as I can tell, the main difference is the boat design itself. Bali, with the flybridge/lounge, solid foredeck, house style fridge, the large "garage door" style back end, and the Leopard with the walk-through lounge, front seating area, trampolines, 2ft in length, and protected helm position.

If you were considering either boat as a live-aboard, with the eventual goal of sailing around the world, which would you choose and why?
Leopard.. because length, trampolines make great beds and protected helm.
What's sheet access like on both?

Be careful as liveaboard. Might get used to performance coastal and enjoy reaching speeds. Might want to load vessel up with ballast to emulate provisions of a long haul and test handling in a controlled environment such as a bay to realise alot more volume to displace, might find a redo chart spans as twice the period of a coastal provisioned cat.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 08:25   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Totally agree.

Both these boats are designed for charter.

BVI - Things that are important. Nice flybridge or forward cockpit for sunbathing. 3 or 4 equally appointed cabins with heads and showers. Will the generator run the AC all night when on a mooring? Can I motor to the next marina if the wind is against me? Are there enough fridges to cope with the demand for cocktails? Is the BBQ big enough? How easy is it to get on and off the stern into the dinghy?

RTW - Things that are important. Can I single hand this while my partner is ill or asleep? Can I run all the systems completely autonomously? How will I feel burying the bow in 8m waves? How safe will I feel at the stern surfing down 8m waves? How will I reef when it's blowing 40kts . . . down wind? Do I really need 4 heads and showers?

Crew across an ocean or get some offshore experience in some interesting weather before you make a decision to sail round the world in one of these.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:14   #10

In my opinion cats are the floating equivalent of a condo. Great for living on and your wife will love it, but not on my list for serious sailing.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:24   #11
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
In my opinion cats are the floating equivalent of a condo. Great for living on and your wife will love it, but not on my list for serious sailing.

Please tell us of your experiences with cruising cats to be able to form your opinion.
Old 20-06-2021, 09:42   #12

Quote:
Please tell us of your experiences with cruising cats to be able to form your opinion.

You know what they say about opinions......
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:57   #13

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Leopard. Fly bridges exaggerate any sea motion and offer minimal protection from sun, sea and wind. Will those curtains hold up in 30knots of wind and 5 meter waves that are breaking over the deck? How secure will you feel accessing the fly bridge in those conditions?

Solid foredecks can really bury the bows, especially when going downwind under sail. A trampoline will drain quickly, but may need replacing every five or so years.

Get the experience sailing someplace with 50 to 100 mile day trips and learn the ins and outs of the boat, both sailing and mechanical. Lots of couples start out wanting to cross oceans, but relatively few do. A bad experience early on can ruin your relationship, so start with well planned easy passages.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 10:35   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Louisiane 37

I sailed a 2018 Bali 4.3 from Italy to Belize. They are not designed for long ocean passages. You do not feel safe handling sails from a flybridge during a squall. The large "garage door" has to be shut while underway, and does a lot of creaking in any substantial seas. And that "house style fridge" dumps it's contents on to the floor when you open the door as the boat lumbers over a wave. It's now a charter boat, which is what it's designed to be. They're really cool at the dock or anchored.
jeffscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 10:44   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I like Persians personally.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote