Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 11:20   #46

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Outremer 45

Earlier in my life I was quite involved in Pdq yachts and from what I can tell the boats that are for Sale now closely match in price what the owners would paid. I agree with the earlier post that related the price for boats based on layout and quality. When we were looking for a boat our choices where very limited and with my back ground in cats we even considered one offs .All the boats we looked at wher 8-10 years old and 350 and up we saw a

great blue water cruiser called key of D custom crowther
Chris white voyager 46
Crowther 431 owners version (my target boat) only two were listed in our time frame
Shuttle worth advantage 40
Neel 50 ( I think)
Fioleau electric drive boat ( very well built )
All in Florida
48 Perry called white wings in the Bahamas it had an 80 air draft but was NICE
One Outremer 45 in Corsica and and the other in Grenada
WE took about a year to find the right one and were willing to travel ,and this was about all there was in our price range .
If I had wanted an ex charter boat there where dozens if not hundreds available at less cost .
A well built owner style catamaran will always ,in a general sense,command more money.

I remarked to Someone in our sailing club who has bought and sold many types of high quality sailboats about this and he responded "big in big out" I know this sounds cavalier but I think it makes a bit sense
David

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-10-2014, 12:36   #47

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
THX

OK. Now I understand very short production run quality boats become collector's items and with supply next to non existent any demand will keep the prices well above what we see with normal goods. This makes sense.

This also to some extent explains why the Bougainvillea I like so much gets further and further away from us ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Not necessarily. Our last boat was an Island Packet. It was 10 yrs old when we bought it for the same price as new and sold it 10 more yrs later for about the same price. Hardly a short production run boat. But you have to keep in mind these anecdotes are not in real $$, they don't take inflation into account.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 13:23   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Not necessarily. Our last boat was an Island Packet. It was 10 yrs old when we bought it for the same price as new and sold it 10 more yrs later for about the same price. Hardly a short production run boat. But you have to keep in mind these anecdotes are not in real $$, they don't take inflation into account.
Neko,

What has changed since then? It seems today IP boats are priced and losing value just like the rest of the world.

Was inflation in the US this high? Were there other factors?

Below I am posting current askings from yachtworld.

E.g. an IP370

2014: 430
2007: 250
2004: 220

As we both know 'new' has no extras on broker's site so we can assume the 430k is actually something close to 500k at the dock (yours, not the brokers).

This translates to 50% loss in the first 7 years and then some 5% loss each consecutive year. This would place a 20 y.o IP at roughly 30% price of a new one.

This would be in line too with my study of the EU market of comparable (quality, production and client niche) manufacturers.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 23:01   #49

Boat: PT-11

Ours was an older one. That may have had something to do with it. But this data doesn't help because we don't know original sellling prices and these are just three data points. But really, the point about inflation is that, due to it, X dollars 10 years ago does not equal X dollars today. No one is saying that these older boats sell for what they cost new now just what they cost new way back when. And the older the boat the easier it should be to satisfy. Can you find what a Bristol 27 cost new in the mid 70s?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 05:38   #50

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Neko,

What has changed since then? It seems today IP boats are priced and losing value just like the rest of the world.

Was inflation in the US this high? Were there other factors?

Below I am posting current askings from yachtworld.

E.g. an IP370

2014: 430
2007: 250
2004: 220

As we both know 'new' has no extras on broker's site so we can assume the 430k is actually something close to 500k at the dock (yours, not the brokers).

This translates to 50% loss in the first 7 years and then some 5% loss each consecutive year. This would place a 20 y.o IP at roughly 30% price of a new one.

This would be in line too with my study of the EU market of comparable (quality, production and client niche) manufacturers.

Cheers,
b.
This is EXACTLY what I've been finding as well. Thank you for posting that.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 05:43   #51

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

...btw... really good thread. I'm learning a lot.. so, carry on!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 17:47   #52

Boat: FP Elba 45

On the resale topic where do you value factory fitted extras I spent over a 100K
over and above the base boat, the are so many options with a new boat.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 19:29   #53

Boat: a sailing boat

This depends on the extras, on the buyer, and the age of the extras.

E.g. Humble I would pay extra $ for items like e.g.

- quality winches (e.g. Andersen SS top st), - quality furling gear (e.g. Facnor), - folding props, - bigger engines, - etc.

I would not pay extra $ for items like e.g.

- extra electronics, - fancy cloth sails, - deco choices, - etc.

A genset and a watermaker are always a plus. Aircon and extra fridges are important to many people too. As is a proper gun locker, an ice maker, a garbage compactor and a full set of PCV signal flags.

Etc etc etc.

In fact, I would always shop for a bare one and add all the toys myself. I love shopping, fitting and never using more stuff.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer