Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 08:45   #16

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Re: Outboard fuel deteriorating how long

Actually it is a 1948 ragwing 170, per dates A model. I do have a B model now it is just not as pretty yet so I use this picture.
Thanks
Old 16-12-2013, 08:48   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
You forgot to mention how "yummy" Av gas smells when you burn it!
Haha. yes it does, particularly when you have the mixture set to full rich during run up and take off.
Old 16-12-2013, 09:16   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBrown View Post
I think people that have life expectancies for the fuel should include the climates the fuel is stored in. I would think the humidity and temperatures could make a significant difference in bio contamination. Also, what did it take to convert to propane? I assume it must be for 4 stroke motors?
Gasoline does not biocontaminate. Only Diesel.
Old 16-12-2013, 09:31   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Haha. yes it does, particularly when you have the mixture set to full rich during run up and take off.
I guess it's sad when the smell of av gas "does it more for me" more than looking at a beautiful woman....

(present company excluded of course....)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 10:01   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

CapnBrown, I'm a dealer for Lehr outboards. I bought a 2.5 Lehr to replace a 2 hp Suzuki. My little outboard tends to not get used for a month or more at a time and the carb on the Suzuki had to be cleaned every time I wanted to use it.

RoyM, I think you'll like the Lehr 15. I'm going to buy one to put on a 14 ft plywood skiff I'm building. I'm going to get the electric start as well. They even make one with a lithium battery under the engine cover. No need for a separate battery. It is an expensive option so I'm just going to put a very small sealed battery in the boat.
Lehr Propane Outboards
Old 16-12-2013, 10:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
I do something that solves the problem for me that is probably not common but is useful to know.

I have found that aviation fuel works great (100 low lead) is actually leaded gas but never has ethanol and has stabilizer in it (because airplanes often sit in the hot sun for long periods and the gas has to remain good). It is at least $1.00/ gal more expensive.

Anybody can buy it and it is the most dependable gas I have found.

Slightly more polluting but used is small amounts not a big deal.

Just and idea.
You might be able to buy it, but it's totally illegal to be using it in the marine environment. The potential fines are massive.

To the OP, it sounds like a slightly blocked jet. You've compensated for it by adjusting the idle.

My question is, are you following good practice by always running the carb dry or draining it, after use?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 10:24   #22

I find that my lawn tractor or my kicker seem to run rough when first started in the spring with 7-9 month old gas. After it's refreshed and run for a while they both get better. What that means I'm not sure....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 11:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Propane is probably more available internationally than fresh gasoline.
Not from what I've seen. Every fishing boat and car is burning gasoline so there's lots of turnover and freshness. Diesel has been harder to find, maybe 60% of the gas stations carry it, and propane is a one-plant-per-large-city affair with the installation being five miles away from civilization.

Plus if you're screwed and run out it's a lot simpler and more acceptable to bum a gallon or two of gas off of someone than it is a pound or two of propane.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 11:55   #24

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
arnt they illegal!, have you much call for such a device dave
The law mower keeps the HOA settled........
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 14:49   #25

PeterP, I'm not sure about stabilisers, avgas, or US gasoline, however I have experienced big problems with Australian petrol in outboards, especially non-premium low octane fuels.
My advise is to use before 6 weeks old. Premium grade fuel may last a bit longer.
I 'm not a petroleum scientist, but have been told that newer fuels lack "stability" an soon lose the "high volatiles".

Bottom line is that 4 strokes have trouble starting and run rough with low power outputs. Two strokes run better, but the high horsepower varieties are very vulnerable to melting pistons, which is inconvenient and expensive.

The supply of fresh fuel is easy, but beware of all that old fuel in the filters and fuel lines that the engine actually starts and initially runs on. Best to use the motor regularly and not buy large amounts of excess fuel. Cheers
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 15:01   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
... I 'm not a petroleum scientist, but have been told that newer fuels lack "stability" an soon lose the "high volatiles"....
This may close to the truth in many cases:

a. Ethanol fuels have much higher vapor pressure and do lose volatiles more rapidly. This is specifically attributable to ethanol blending.

b. Lack of volatiles causes low temperature drivablity issues.

c. Because ethanol has less fuel value per volume, many engines suffer from ethanol induced enleanment. Loosing volatiles only makes this worse. Automobiles with computers can compensate for this (the oxygen sensor detects enleanment) but small boat motors just run too lean and misfire.

Which comes back to why I suggested keep tanks full, keeping vents closed, and using a vent filter. In addition to reducing water problems, vent filters have been proven to reduce gasoline volitiles losses. They work!

Sail Delmarva: Gasoline and Fuel Tank Vent Filters
Old 16-12-2013, 15:11   #27

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You might be able to buy it, but it's totally illegal to be using it in the marine environment. The potential fines are massive......?
Never heard this one, California thing?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 15:26   #28

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Run your carb dry after each use. Use fresh fuel every couple months and don't ever use ethanol in your outboard. That's all just to play it safe. No scientific proof here but just experience.

I've found the Honda engines pretty dependable but each one I've used has had that idle problem after a time. I think they are susceptible to any little spec of debris that might get into the fuel system. Hope you have a clean filter.
Old 16-12-2013, 15:29   #29

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You might be able to buy it, but it's totally illegal to be using it in the marine environment. The potential fines are massive.

Are you sure you're not confusing this with red diesel on the road?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 15:43   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
ALL leaded fuel is illegal, going purely by legalities, 100LL is illegal. Of course it is still being manufactured, when the law was passed obviously aviation fuel was not intended. But that didn't stop a lawsuit by the "friends of the earth" trying to stop it's manufacture. 100LL is a Boutique fuel and accounts I believe for less than 1% of the fuel used. Arguing legal use of 100LL is silly as it's illegal to start with.

100LL may not run well in some engines though, it may require slightly different jetting.

How many thousands of "stink pot" boats are put up every year with lots of fuel on board and yet run fine when taken out of storage? I buy only non ethanol fuel and use sta-bil, so far for the last six years and have had no problems.
Ethanol (ETH) is simple to test for, all you need is a graduated cylinder, a ball mason jar is perfect. Fill the jar up about 1/4 or less with water to a measured point, fill the rest with fuel, put the top on and shake vigorously several times, allow to settle, if the level of the water increases, the fuel has ETH in it. Reason is the water and alcohol will mix, making amount of water increase.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, outboard