Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 13:21   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Opinions on Owen Easton 40

Heya CF'ers

I'd like to hear any opinions, concerns, thoughts about the best way to approach a purchase consideration on this cat:

Catamaran 1992 OWEN EASTON CATAMARAN Catamaran For Sale

She's currently in Malaysia. I'm in Oregon. The listing agent offered to have me pay the 11k to sail it here for my inspection - I have declined this offer.

However, I am quite interested. Since she's older I'd want to get a top notch survey of course. If anyone has any ideas on how to explore this without making a big dumb pricey goof I'm all ears. I've thought perhaps I'd offer some charter fee to go over then and sail her and see if I take a liking.

Given I'm a rookie to the cat world albeit I am shopping for a vessel that would be worthy to circumnavigate I'm casting for any wisdom/opinions that you all might offer about how/what to look out for and how to proceed with an intelligent consideration of this boat.

Thank you kindly!
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:27   #2

Re: Opinions on Owen Easton 40

Sounds like a great opportunity for a trip!

The boat looks like it is ready for anything! I wonder about the displacement and performance in 15 knots of wind at various points of sail.

The spreaders are enormous as well.
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 14:09   #3

Looks like a well equipped, reasonably priced boat. A thorough survey by someone experienced with aluminium would be wise.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 15:53   #4

Boat: Seawind 1160 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Looks like a well equipped, reasonably priced boat. A thorough survey by someone experienced with aluminium would be wise.
The market for second hand vessels in Asia is very small as most Asian buyers prefer to buy new, suggests the price would be very flexible if the seller is really motivated, there are a lot of boats for sale in the region that have been " for sale" for many months. That said USD 150k seems way overpriced for a vessel this old.
Lagoon hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 17:59   #5

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Make an offer. Start somewhere low and come up a bit if you have to. Make your earnest money deposit, fly to Malaysia and take a look. If still good, get a survey. If you find issues, get a price adjustment or opt out and get your earnest money refunded. You'll be out plane fare and accommodations, but you'll have learned a lot. If you like the boat, you're in business.

We're in Seattle. Granted that Florida is not Langkawai, but it seemed like another country. The process worked for us.
Old 27-10-2015, 18:24   #6

Boat: Max Cruise Marine, Twin Hybrid Electric, 44SC

Psychfeld, Let me tell you that Savannah is a fine boat. I actually was aboard her when she was in Palau. The owner of the boat was fastidious in her upkeep, preparations for her travels to say the least. My wife and I would swoop her up right now if we were in the position to do so. Alas, we are still at least 1.5 - 2 years out from being in the market for a vessel. I can not give you guarantees but she is sound and well worth the price from what I saw. This is an aluminum boat and it would be prudent to have her surveyed by someone knowledgeable about AL as has been stated already. That being said, repairs are fare simpler than glass so long as you can weld AL... Just my 2 cents from a long time lurker, first time poster...

FYI, for some insight on the boat and her adventures Savannah
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 13:31   #7

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Just found this blog about Savannah:

Savannah
Old 28-10-2015, 16:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Good boats, get an excellent surveyor who knows alloy AND Multihulls, there is one in Australia that I would use.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 01:03   #9

Boat: Easton Aluminum Catamaran

This boat is back on the market, new name "Ocean Rover" Can anyone tell me about anode tests? With a multi meter and a silver half cell it reads 0.6v dc. I'm pretty sure that means the anodes are gone? How bad is that?

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.co...%20Systems.pdf
chphotographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chphotographic View Post
This boat is back on the market, new name "Ocean Rover" Can anyone tell me about anode tests? With a multi meter and a silver half cell it reads 0.6v dc. I'm pretty sure that means the anodes are gone? How bad is that?

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.co...%20Systems.pdf
More info needed. The readings, as I understand, are relative, but that reading appears out of whack and it can be assumed there is corrosion going on. It depends on how long it has been corroding since the anodes have been last installed. The boat should be hauled, bottom paint removed and further investigation is needed to determine the overall damage done. But Google is your friend and I'm almost certain that there are far more learned people here on this forum that can give you better info. You also might want to post this inquiry elsewhere to cast a wider net of responses. Good luck. Kills me that that boat was let go.
https://www.boatingmag.com/protectin...rosion#page-14
Old 18-11-2017, 05:35   #11

Hey, yes I assume there is some corrosion going on. She has been left sitting for a while in the marina, by the looks of it, certainly bears closer inspection... I will take your advice & start a new thread as I am eager to gather as many knowledgeable thoughts as possible.
Sad to see any boat left in that state, but it would be especially painful if you had known her in her prime (I see above you have been on her a few yrs ago). Her previous owners have clearly just walked off it without bothering to clean up... a rat has started to get at things . It needs a lot, just trying to discern right now if it is over the edge... it would take A LOT to get her safe and ready to cruise!
Old 18-11-2017, 15:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chphotographic View Post
Hey, yes I assume there is some corrosion going on. She has been left sitting for a while in the marina, by the looks of it, certainly bears closer inspection... I will take your advice & start a new thread as I am eager to gather as many knowledgeable thoughts as possible.
Sad to see any boat left in that state, but it would be especially painful if you had known her in her prime (I see above you have been on her a few yrs ago). Her previous owners have clearly just walked off it without bothering to clean up... a rat has started to get at things . It needs a lot, just trying to discern right now if it is over the edge... it would take A LOT to get her safe and ready to cruise!
If the price is right and the hull damage not too extensive...
As a thought, I came across this aluminum boat forum and might be a great place to post your question.
acid washing your Alloy... - AluminumAlloyBoats.com
Old 18-11-2017, 22:39   #13

Thanks, really appreciate all the advice I can get - hard to know if the price is right considering the amount of work she is going to need... Was having a look at her today, the hull is a real worry considering how long she has been sitting in a marina, there is all kinds of JB weld or some sort of epoxy globs all over the bilge, I am assuming to patch pitting holes. There is a built up of salt, and there is water running along the lowest stringer, so she must be actively leaking, but only a little bit. But then there is the rest of it - the batteries are resting at 12.1 volts, water was below the plate and the solar charge controller had an error on it, so I don't think its charging. Lot of oil around the engine bay and there must have been a raw water leak or something because there is a fair bit of rust here and there. The standing rig is 17 years old, and the running rigging is just rotten... its got a new autopilot, but it feels like its full of rocks or something when you turn the wheel (?). Kind of everything i looked at looked like it might be on its last legs. I am sure it was a fantastic boat in her day, but it would just cost so much money to get her back there, even if you could do all of the work yourself, would still be so much. Sad to see it happen to any boat.
Old 19-11-2017, 17:50   #14

Interesting, I just saw her listing come up – I like the look of her and had had half an eye on her when she was Savanah. Did a little googling and found this

Ocean Rover Owner Blog

(in Chinese, but google translate gives you the gist): Interesting reading (!), basically a bizarre blog of her last owner (who christened her Ocean Rover). This poor boat has copped a flogging – the owner has basically logged all the mishaps he had on her including running hard aground, disabling the rudders, successive engine failures, windlass breaking, water in the engine room, and it sounds like the repairs were always rushed so he could keep going … looks like she has had a hard life.
SteveCat79 is offline   Reply With Quote