Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 05:54   #1
MLR

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42
One off Dolphin Ocema 42 catamaran

Good day fellow cruisers.

I'm looking to join the cruising lifestyle and community.
Been looking at catamarans for about a year now and I am finally ready to pull the trigger.

This is the boat in question - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...ma-42-3471480/

Seems like a good value, good condition but with a few quirks.
It is a one of two built in Brazil. ex dolphin cat yard and tooling.
My concern is the weight of this boat. It is strip plank under the waterline and marine ply above.

Any reason stated above or otherwise that I should steer away.
Note that I have seen this boat offered for sale for quite some time and has been discounted some.

Thank you all, for your time in replying to this concern of mine and all the treasure trove of info that I have been reading and learning from over the years!

Cheers Alex.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 02:35   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: One off Dolphin Ocema 42 catamaran

Hi and welcome!

Just looking at the pictures, she looks to be a well built boat with a good pedigree. Should be light and sail well.
As always a good survey would be needed, especially to check for water damage to the ply.

By the way, Olhão is a great place!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 02:36   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Looks like a nice boat with just too much stuff on-board. Needs a life launder, toss the generator and a lot of other stuff including some remodelling maybe. I would be concerned about the weight 11000Kg, the max displacement is stated as 8400kg with a base of 6400kg.

The builder has a good reputation and the timber available in Brazil is very high grade. I would still insist on a survey. Strip plank 'cedar' and marine ply is very robust and repairable compared to balsa core prevalent in many mainstream production cats.

While they are not greyhounds the Dolphin 46's are excellent performers.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 03:30   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That boat has been for sale for over a year. It was in the US (I think) when first offered for sale. Maybe you can get a good price.
I like strip plank with epoxy too. My tri was built this way and suffered a nasty scrape in the hull to the core. It was months later that I hauled her out and the exposed wet area hadn't really migrated at all. That epoxy is good stuff.
Old 24-03-2021, 05:35   #5
MLR

Thank you all for the replies.
I have contacted the broker and he has confirmed that it as a liveaboard weight situation along with extra weight of large water tanks and battery bank.
A water maker and less stored water would shed some weight along with removing the generator and whatever else isn't essential.
After reviewing the photos of the build process, it does look like a solid catamaran. I know the original Dolphins were foam, much lighter and thus better sailors.
A survey will definitely be required, to point out any issues. I am just curious why a catamaran of that vintage in seemingly great condition sits on the market for a year??? I've looked at a few older leopards and lagoon and have been outbid in a seemingly "hot" catamaran market. (My budget is 200k)

We are a family of 5 looking for a similar sized catamaran to spend the season in the med, followed by an Atlantic crossing to the Caribbean. Or if the boat is found on this side of the Atlantic it would perhaps be reversed.
We are in Canada at the moment.
Old 24-03-2021, 09:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
I am just curious why a catamaran of that vintage in seemingly great condition sits on the market for a year???
It's a two off custom and customs can be harder to sell, sometimes. On the other hand they can be a good value for you.
Old 24-03-2021, 10:40   #7
MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
That boat has been for sale for over a year. It was in the US (I think) when first offered for sale. Maybe you can get a good price.
I like strip plank with epoxy too. My tri was built this way and suffered a nasty scrape in the hull to the core. It was months later that I hauled her out and the exposed wet area hadn't really migrated at all. That epoxy is good stuff.
Did your tri have a fiberglass skin or epoxy coating on the inside?
Old 24-03-2021, 10:48   #8

I can't remember if it did have glass on the inside but it did have epoxy. Outside was glass and epoxy. You can tell it was epoxy when you sanded it because it had that epoxy smell.
Old 24-03-2021, 10:50   #9
MLR

Also Sand Crab,

As a previous Crowther tri owner what are your thoughts on this catamaran?
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...er-47-3660022/
It is also on my shortlist and I am in the process of setting up a trip down to Florida to take a look at a few potential boats.
Old 24-03-2021, 11:07   #10

I've seen the listing for it, unfortunately that boat needs some TLC but I still like it. There were leaks probably from the windows so the woodwork in the salon is not in great shape. Those 100HP engines are pretty big but the cat seems to carry the weight. Someone recently posted about this one here or on SA. They said it has rust and I can see where the chains been dragging over that metal grate. Is there more? They also didn't like the electrical wire routing but maybe that's being a little too picky. It's also been for sale for a long time but they keep dropping the price.

I would figure out a way to have a much bigger bimini but that's just me.
Old 24-03-2021, 12:24   #11

Boat: 45f5

Have built a WRC strip planked yacht and it was glassed (epoxy) both sides. Was very strong and light and repairable.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 03:10   #12
MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo19.5 View Post
Have built a WRC strip planked yacht and it was glassed (epoxy) both sides. Was very strong and light and repairable.
Thank you for your input, we are preparing to put an offer in slightly lower then asking and hopefully she surveys well. Seems like a well maintained boat.
The catamaran market seems to be hot at the moment, and I'm at the top of my budget so, fingers crossed.
Old 25-03-2021, 03:29   #13
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

That boat was also for sale 2 maybe 3 years ago as well - Down in Central or South America from Memory
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 03:45   #14

MLR, Are you in Europe?
Old 25-03-2021, 03:58   #15
MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That boat was also for sale 2 maybe 3 years ago as well - Down in Central or South America from Memory
Yes I'm aware, I've been informed by the broker that they have been trying to sell for some time. I think the construction method might have added a few extra pounds and that is concerning, but I'm not really looking for a racer. I'm hoping that we can lighten her up by getting rid of some of the extra weight piled on over the years.

If it is in great condition as stated the main reason for it not selling is the custom factor, building method and perhaps the original listing cost.
I will definitely ask the surveyor to estimate just how much weight can be shaved off.

Tags
catamaran