Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 08:25   #46

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: One more hand holding session for a monohull sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Wow Colemj, pretty strong words in describing the appearance of the Lagoon 620!
Yes, I apologize. It was quite a shock to see that boat come in next to us - I had never seen anything like that design. I suspect you have not seen this particular model boat in person?

I have seen lots of 400, 420, 440 and even the 520 and did not have the reaction I had to the 620. Those others look like a form/function balance to me, and I never really saw them in any design light outside of the wide range of catamaran designs out there. But this one - whoa! Particularly since most catamarans just look better with length.

If this boat was anchored next to the Flyin' Hawaiian, I bet you would think the FH was a pretty nice design...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 08:50   #47
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

No worries, Mark! No I haven't seen one and, lets face it, its not as if people who are purchasing a Lagoon 620 are on what most would consider a really tight budget!

Sadly, my own goal of being able to upgrade my current boat to something faster and prettier is being held back by the devaluation of the Canadian dollar to the Canadian peso (from more than par with the USD to 81 cents in the span of the last 18 months)! Its not just the cost of a new(er) boat that has risen by 25% over that period - but the cost of everything when cruising.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:10   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
No worries, Mark! No I haven't seen one and, lets face it, its not as if people who are purchasing a Lagoon 620 are on what most would consider a really tight budget!

Sadly, my own goal of being able to upgrade my current boat to something faster and prettier is being held back by the devaluation of the Canadian dollar to the Canadian peso (from more than par with the USD to 81 cents in the span of the last 18 months)! Its not just the cost of a new(er) boat that has risen by 25% over that period - but the cost of everything when cruising.

Brad
Buy a Euro boat, our dollar has been closer to that currency.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 12:36   #49

Boat: LAGOON 400

although owner of lagoon, i will have to agree with L62 view. And I hate jacuzzi.

spec for 62 must be dictated by some new born chinese property rich.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:02   #50
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Robert, you are right - and sorry for the thread drift, but yes, the euro and Canadian dollar are both moving down at a similar rate. However, I would be buying used and likely in the USA/Caribbean. And of course, my cruising budget includes not only the boat, but also upgrades/repairs and annual costs aboard. If I am cruising in the Caribbean, I typically need to convert to USD and my annual costs will also be up by 25%, reducing the amount available out of my total budget for the puchase of another boat.

No big deal - my current boat is certainly up to the task and there was no guarantee that I was going to upgrade in any event. From the opposite side of the coin, of course, it does put people in the USA like the OP at a distinct advantage right now, if they are prepared to look in Europe or Canada for a used boat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not to mention looks. Although esthetics are a highly personal preference, a Lagoon 620 just anchored right next to us this evening. I can't go out in the cockpit without averting my eyes, it hurts so bad to look at that thing. Lagoon beat it six ways to sunday with an ugly stick. It is difficult for me to even believe there are people that think that thing looks good. I have truly never seen an uglier catamaran.

Sorry about that - I generally don't like to say this type of thing, but good god is that thing ugly. While your L400 is differently styled than most, the styling is not so bad at that size, and it looks unique. However, this styling obviously does not scale up.

Mark
There's a 620 that does the run from Port Douglas out to the Low Islets most days. Have to agree - it doesn't even look like a big boat, it's so tall in relation to it's length it looks like maybe a 35 footer.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, sail