Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 08:55   #16

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: One more hand holding session for a monohull sailor

Southern Star said:
"Indeed, if your intention is to spend most of your time in the Caribbean/Bahams/Turks and Caicos, why not buy one in Florida or the Caribbean where you will have relatively benign conditions in which to gain experience (to say nothing of a much bigger market)."

That is an excellent question. We can find only two other catamarans on the US West coast that we might consider. Looking at cats between 42 and 51 feet we find at least on dozen on the US East coast and Northern Caribbean area.

And, that is why we changed our minds the last two times we decided to buy a cat on the west coast. There are so many more choices in the SE US.

But, we've been on Adagio several times and walk by her at least once a week and have become quite lustful.

Yes - there is a very fine 40' cruise ready monohull for sale at a very nice price.

And for the other comments - speed is relative. We are used to 5.5 - 6.5 knots while rolling downwind. A prior captain of Adagio tells me she does 8.5 - 10 knots downwind while carrying a comfortable amount of sail and staying firmly planted on both hulls.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:26   #17

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
A prior captain of Adagio tells me she does 8.5 - 10 knots downwind while carrying a comfortable amount of sail and staying firmly planted on both hulls.
Yes indeed. Our favorite passages are dead down wind in 25kts or a little higher carrying only the genoa. Very comfy and fast and the auto pilot loves it. These boats like to be pulled rather than pushed. And board boats have the further advantage of being able to shimmy a bit on the surfs to keep following the sail. Think opposite of broaching.

Several years ago on passage from the Chesapeake Bay to Tortola we didn't even put the main up for the first 6 days. All genoa (when it was windy) and symmetrical spi (when it was not).

Good luck,
2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:52   #18
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

2 hulls dave is of course correct - and downwind sailing on a cat was a revelation to me. Stability, comfort and virtually no risk of broaching. As to Adagio, she is a beautiful boat and should perform very well. Let's face it, if you are lusting after this rare creature and she passes a thorough survey, she is the right choice for you.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 10:41   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 44

I'm 70 and have been single handing a 47' catamaran for the last nine years - Central and South America, the Caribbean, ICW, Chesapeake and now in the Sea of Cortez. Age and experience encouraged me to get a Winch Buddy that I use for the main (and sometimes to furl the jib) and there are times I find myself motoring rather than raising the sails (laziness), but to a great extent I find the cat easier on this old body than my former 37' monohull. As for your trepidation about going to multihulls: it's extremely rare to hear of somebody selling their catamaran to buy a monohull. Enjoy, and be proud that your wife made you see the light.
vivabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 10:57   #20

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Tacoma Sailor,

I think you will find the 51' cat is a lot easier to sail than your 40' mono, especially as age limits your mobility (although 67 is the new 50). My 46' cat is easier to handle than my Catalina 30, and certainly easier to move around.
We have a 2 part main halyard for our 70 m2 main with a right angle drill to raise it the last bit. The main has 2 4part sheets as does the club-footed jib and I rarely use the winches on either.
We regularly take my wife's 81 year old parents for cruises to the Channel Islands and they have no trouble moving around the boat, even under way.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:19   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

TS, I'm curious to know what you rant considering something along the lines of a new lagoon 450. It would be about half the price, similar, maybe more accommodation and probably sails pretty much the same and Er...it's new...
Maybe you are keen on a one off design and don't like the look of lagoons, FP etc?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 12:23   #22

Boat: Lightwave 45 catamaran

My wife and I have owned 11 sailing yachts. We did a 7 year circumnavigation on a 51' mono, but our last 3 boats have been cats and if I wanted to endure monohull sailing again I would have to change wives.Go for the cat and keep the wife.
xbillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 13:41   #23
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Monte, its listed for 525K on boats.com - down substantially from when it was last sold and including both a symmetrical and an asymmetrical spinnaker, furling full-batten main air, washing machine and the usual electronics. So no, it is nowhere near the price of a comparably equipped Lagoon 450, let alone twice the price. I also suspect it is better built (real wood in the interior!!!!) and faster than the Lagoon.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 13:45   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
TS, I'm curious to know what you rant considering something along the lines of a new lagoon 450. It would be about half the price, similar, maybe more accommodation and probably sails pretty much the same and Er...it's new...
Maybe you are keen on a one off design and don't like the look of lagoons, FP etc?
Monte, I can only gather that you are not experienced with the Brazapi. It is in no way in the same league or comparable to a L450. Other than being white, I can't think of a single similarity.

For example, the B51 weighs 15,800lbs, while the L450 weighs a whopping (and I mean whopping!) 34,178lbs (that is not a typo!) It will easily sail circles around a L450 in all conditions and points of sail.

Calling it a one-off design is like calling any of Chris White's Atlantics one-offs. They both are not high-volume, but they are production made.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 14:00   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Ok I thought it was 1million plus from prior posts
Mark I know it's a different beast but TS mentioned the previous captain suggested speeds of 9-10 K downwind which the L450 would manage pretty easily as well. So my question to. TC was about why pay more for a 10 yr old boat. Maybe he prefers the finish and styling. I know the square type modern interiors and exteriors aren't for everyone. Not trying to push a lagoon either, but it doesn't sound like speed is a major concern for the OP.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 14:27   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The Brazapi would be way faster than the Lagoon.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 14:47   #27

Boat: Catana 471

Any late model Lagoon over about 42' - maybe even 40' - will have more saloon volume than the Brazapi - same as my boat. That's because our bridgedecks are so short. A third of my boat is bow and the sterns stick out. My boat has less living interior volume than my good friend's L421. Perhaps not something to boast - just recognition of different purpose.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 03:24   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Although I'm thinking that most likely, the biggest thing to learn will be docking the thing. Due to the high windage, & lack of momentum (no keel to provide such). But it doesn't take long really. Especially for those with experience, like the two of you.

Docking should be easy. Twin screws, widely separated, can usually over-ride windage issues easily.

-Chris
Old 22-01-2015, 03:52   #29

Boat: FP Helia 44

The fact that you have been sailing monos for so long will make the transition easy, once you adjust to the beamyness ( if that's such a word ) go for it...enjoy the ride!
Jeffrey Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 03:58   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

TS

Go..... Go..... Go GIT her!

You way got this mang....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags