Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 18:17   #1

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
OMG! We're about to build an Isara 45

Ok our "crazy meter" is pegged ...My wife and I are days away from pulling the trigger to build a new cat. Our attorney is reviewing the documents and the spec sheet is 99% finished. This is more emotional than I ever dreamed. We've had the "float plan" for years with the intentions of semi-retiring and moving aboard and now all of the pieces of that plan are coming together super fast and right on schedule (ok maybe a few months early even). Our smaller catamaran, a PDQ32 has just sold; a very bitter sweet moment. She was our "practice" cat on the Great Lakes for 4 years to get us prepped for the big cat on the ocean. We made our wish list for the new boat based on our experiences on the PDQ. The other assets that we need to sell are selling and we've started the downsizing process by emptying out the basement and garage at home. Holy smokes, be careful what you wish for my friends...this can really happen! But in addition to feeling like we are sliding down a steep, greased hill with no brakes we also are super excited. The Isara is a quality boat and we have the opportunity to make her just what we want. They are very willing to work with our special requests and have "green" options that I just love like the Yanmar-warranted parallel hybrid system (55HP diesels with small integrated electric motors/hydro generators), all electric appliances etc. Soooo...be honest...are we crazy?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isara 45 3D drawing.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	60738  
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 19:09   #2

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: OMG! We're about to build an Isara 45

Good luck with your new venture, i hope the new cat is all you ever hoped for.Careful of too many ''green'' innovations tho, many work great on the drawing board but are lacking in the real life scenarios.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 19:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Green is still in its infancy stage. Nothing beats twin Yanmars when the proverbial hits the fan. Boat looks great, one life...go for it. Just googled the hybrid yanmars...now i understand it a bit better. You will have plenty of power ! I just loathe the problems associated with sail drives
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 19:32   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I think you'd be crazy not to, but I am biased.
If you really want to know if you're crazy ask around on some retirement planning/ investment forums.
Old 12-05-2013, 20:10   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I will be honest. I have just looked at the website. No mention of bridge deck clearance. Big sell on the luxury. The boom looks really high. The aft section looks exposed and lacks privacy.These features that they mentioned could be ordered on any boat. 42' waterline is not that big for this amount of luxury and it seems heavy for good performance. It should at least state in the contract that this vessel will not weigh over it's specification. Keeping that teak flooring looking good will be problematic. You will spend a fortune keeping this type of boat looking its best. This design might make more sense as a power cat. I think it could be scary buying the first boat of a production run by a little known manufacturer. With that kind of money you could buy a bigger, better sailing catamaran. A slightly used boat may be much better equipped and have many of the kinks worked out already.
My vote is that you are crazy for ordering this boat. Go buy a Catana.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:26   #6

Why order custom from a small builder?
This boat looks similar to Lagoon 440 which I guess you could buy second hand much cheaper than the Isara with less stress and no waiting ?
Buying a common brand like Lagoon also means it should be easier to sell.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:50   #7

The neighbors kid just taught me this yesterday and I already get to use it!

YOLO!!!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:57   #8

Wow what great posts! I appreciate everyones thoughts and brute honesty. Here's some more info to cure a few comments:
-we're getting shaft drives
-she'll be hull #3 of the 45 footer (2 other orders right in front of us)
-we've spent lot's of time on board one of their 50 footers trying to find concerns like bridge deck clearance etc and are quite pleased
-as for hybrid drives, did I mention it has diesels + electric all warranted by Yanmar? 4 types of propulsion + sails. But order yours w/out
-we stepped foot on many used Lagoons before making this decision
-I agree with the open aft issue; designers are working on that
-I wouldn't have the Catana's helms on the aft corners; prefer this helm style for safety/vision/access
-boom will be lower than the L440/450's; more like the F.P. Helia's
-I agree totally with your teak comments; ordering ours w/ NO teak on the exterior
-Okay...what is YOLO?
Old 13-05-2013, 06:52   #9

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Yolo= You only live once.

Telling someone the should have purchased something other than what they have decided on is a bit like telling someone who announces they are pregnant that they should have got a dog instead.

The correct response is congratulations! I hope the build process goes smoothly and the boat serves you well.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:07   #10

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

But the back and forth can be helpful as well to the purchaser. We can all miss things. In this case it sounds to me like the questions being asked have been worked through carefully in the mind of the purchaser. No doubt that gives additional confidence to the one pulling the trigger. I know it would me. So yep congratulations!
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:08   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I think you got it well under control. People on CF often think that their way is best and project that onto your plans but they don't realize that it works both ways. The important thing is that you got those 4 years down on another cat and work from that experience. Even when you overlook something: there isn't anything that can't be fixed.

My experience with cats is minimal so I can't give much advice but I do agree to put maximum weight in the contract and arrange for an official weighing, not just the built-in scale of a crane and no talk later like "we'll take care if that after the launch" etc. Be on top of that. I would also like to see severe penalties for late delivery, possibly even for different phases of the build.

Then, when you're setting off in the end, you will make a mistake. We did that 10 years ago. You will still rush. Don't do that, don't rush to the islands over there because you will miss the beauty of the islands and their peoples on the way. We even backtracked for a year to correct that mistake.

Good luck!

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:10   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Congratulations. I'm eager to hear what you think of the parallel hybrid system once the boat is splashed. I think that was a smart way to go.
Old 13-05-2013, 09:54   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

I have to vote for crazy. Buying a boat without a sea trial...crazy.
leaurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:49   #14

There is some very solid advice in some of these replies...thank you so much. I think any of us that dream of living on a boat and crossing oceans (or are living that dream) are seen by their friends/family as about 50% on the crazy meter with no other factors being added in. I'm pegging us at about 65% right now!
This whole thing is about risk, and you guys are right that a new manufacturer equals higher risk. I'm not sure why Isara doesn't market their architect more (Coste Design)... one look at their website and the monster carbon cats they have designed (up to 135 feet) and I can't help but be impressed. If Isara actaully had their own new factory I'd be more nervous about it, but it will be built in the same yard that has built Tayana yachts for 40 years. Having seen their work first hand recently on an Isara 50 helps a lot. I've also spoken to the manager at Tayana to ensure that their relationship with Isara is solid. Little things...but they help my crazy meter needle from pegging over and breaking the glass.
Old 17-05-2013, 11:11   #15

Boat: Taswell 43

brygut67,
The whole thing is not about risk and the adventure is not all about the boat. There is no good reason to buy a boat that was never been built, sailed and lived aboard. The whole thing is about the experiences and adventures ahead and you're risking all that by ordering a frankly less than serious design, with a yet to be proven drive system. We can get so caught up with the boat that we forget the main reason for wanting one. Buy a Priveledge, Antares, St.Francis.
leaurider is offline   Reply With Quote