Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2013, 11:30   #16

Re: OMG! We're about to build an Isara 45

The picture looks cool. two comments: will it have davits for dingy storage? Not having those on a cat is a major mistake. and: you really need to know what the bridgedeck clearance is,... very important to get as much as possible.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:15   #17

Congrats on your purchase, I hope that you will keep the community updated on your experiences with it. Im eager to see how your journey will turn out. Im relearning sailing. Some say once you learn to ride a bike you never forget. I say **** that I want to make sure Im prepared! Sooo...it will be a good 6mths to a year before Im comfortable to enough to make a purchase. Im not frugal just...an extremely conscientious buyer which has earned me a reputation as a cheapskate -.-. Moving along, again congrats. The Isara seems to be filled to the brim with unbridled luxury.
R. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 20:10   #18

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Leaurider: it's a good thing for you that there are many people like me out there in this world. Otherwise nobody would have ever bought the first model of any boat and test sailed it to your satisfaction before you would buy it. The first few purchasers of any new model from any boat builder simply take a higher risk than those who follow. I have my tolerance of risk and you have yours...and that's okay. Your comment that its a "less than a serious design" is obviously made from much less information, study and hands on research into Isara than what I have invested. Your comment must be made as a result of ignorance of the facts. Everyone has an opinion and that's fine. You buy the boat you like best and I'll buy the one I like best, but you won't find me berating your boat just because it doesn't match my likings.

As for other questions, the boat is still early in the design stage with discussion still taking place on the aft...but there are telescoping davits in the current design. Right behind the solar panels you can see 2 round holes where they would come out.

Mr. Manning...best of luck in your adventures!
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 22:31   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
.... Our attorney is reviewing the documents and the spec sheet is 99% finished.....
My concern is not about the choice of boat or builder as you seem to have done your homework and realize that execution trumps design.

What worries me is that there appears to be a number of unresolved and cost factored design solutions that can expose you to significant change orders.

If the specifications are vague with frequent use of words like “intent” and “allowances” it means you will be funding the builder’s and the designer’s R&D. in the form of those +300% change orders

Just keep in mind that, ....the only 2 people with a major financial stake in your new build project are yourselves and the owner of the Yard. (…and he holds the hammer!)…The rest including the designer are simply employees.

Make sure the builder and yourself are satisfied that all design detail items are specified and accounted for and insist on fixed prices for every component.

There is a huge difference between a Sales Specification and Contract Build Specifications.

Hope your attorney will appreciate that
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 23:03   #20

Boat: too many

bryguy67,

I'm solid on your choice and of the hybrid drive. When in tight quarters you are going to love both the precision and low rpm torque of those electric motors. No more clunking in and out of gear at 700 rpm diesel idle but instead linear application of what ever rpm you want. When your on a passage running the radar, chart plotter, etc., the re-gen will be nice too. Now I have to ask the question, since you will have a decent size battery bank for propulsion are you going with an all electric galley? Also maybe an electric dinghy? Who needs propane and gasoline on board?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 23:17   #21

So, what did you think of the PDQ 32 as a coastal cruiser?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Make sure the builder and yourself are satisfied that all design detail items are specified and accounted for and insist on fixed prices for every component.
Indeed it took months to get the spec sheet to a point where I'm 100% satisfied (very specific and detailed).
Old 23-05-2013, 12:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
bryguy67,

Now I have to ask the question, since you will have a decent size battery bank for propulsion are you going with an all electric galley? Also maybe an electric dinghy? Who needs propane and gasoline on board?
We are really on the same page on this one! There will be no propane or gasoline on this boat. It will be a 48 volt system that you often refer to in this forum (Isara's idea, not mine). All electric appliances including the cockpit grill. I sold our solar powered electric dinghy with our last boat but I will create a new one that is bigger and better. I'm thinking an RIB with a Torqueedo 1003 with the built-in battery; add a flexible solar panel between the hulls aft of the motor and we're in business. That should keep the battery charged while it's on the davits or sitting at the dinghy dock. We never charged our old one on land. The boat itself will have as much solar as possible on the hard tops; shooting for 1000-1200 watts. Between that and the twin hydro-generators (via the props/electric motors) we hope that we'll only have to fire up the diesels a couple of times per week while anchored & island hopping.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
So, what did you think of the PDQ 32 as a coastal cruiser?
We just loved our PDQ. Very tough to let her go. They sail well, are easy to single hand and have high quality parts throughout that last and last versus the cheap stuff that looks good when it's new then corrodes after 1-3 years. Terrific boat...
Old 23-05-2013, 12:56   #25

Quote:
Indeed it took months to get the spec sheet to a point where I'm 100% satisfied (very specific and detailed).
In the end you have to be confident of your builder to the point where you are assured that he will build "in like manner" to the boats you have viewed that he did build. Remember, a detailed spec sheet works two ways... he only has to do what is specified. I assume you have some blanket, all encompassing things spelled out as well as details....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 14:34   #26

Quote:
We are really on the same page on this one! There will be no propane or gasoline on this boat. It will be a 48 volt system that you often refer to in this forum (Isara's idea, not mine). All electric appliances including the cockpit grill. I sold our solar powered electric dinghy with our last boat but I will create a new one that is bigger and better. I'm thinking an RIB with a Torqueedo 1003 with the built-in battery; add a flexible solar panel between the hulls aft of the motor and we're in business. That should keep the battery charged while it's on the davits or sitting at the dinghy dock. We never charged our old one on land. The boat itself will have as much solar as possible on the hard tops; shooting for 1000-1200 watts. Between that and the twin hydro-generators (via the props/electric motors) we hope that we'll only have to fire up the diesels a couple of times per week while anchored & island hopping.
Yes we are on the same page. Have you considered a Takacat catamaran RIB for your dinghy? The Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 with the V30 prop would push their larger offerings at 16 kt which is great for 5 adults on board and electric propulsion.
EXPLORER SERIES - Takacat.com
Old 27-05-2013, 06:10   #27

I'm a research-a-holic and while my risk tolerance is high I'm very careful before diving in. Even so, the wisdom that comes from all of you in this forum is just super. I've added many of your ideas to the contract. Thank you...
Deck Officer: Dang it now you've thrown another good option at me with the Takacat dinghy. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the U.S. distributer; very knowledgable guy and he was happy to banter the options around. He suggested the Lite version over the fiberglass center one. I am much more apt to go with the smaller Torqeedo 1003 because the battery is built in, it's very portable and will likely push the dinghy at 4-5 knots which is all I want. I can always go bigger later and use the 1003 as a back up. Right now I plan to use the dinghy more as an SUV than a sports car. I will definately add my own semi-permanant solar panel to it (I don't like Torqeedos huge fold-out panel).
Old 27-05-2013, 06:35   #28

Thanks for sharing your experience and excitement, bryguy. Not many of us have the option of buying new or custom, so it's kind of cool for you to let us in on the process and the excitement.

I applaud your choice of hybrid. It's still new to the yachting community, but the concept is proven; I think that the industry just need to find and use the most appropriate components and gain experience with them.

Best wishes for many years on a boat that exceeds your expectations..
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:30   #29

Quote:
I'm a research-a-holic and while my risk tolerance is high I'm very careful before diving in. Even so, the wisdom that comes from all of you in this forum is just super. I've added many of your ideas to the contract. Thank you...
Deck Officer: Dang it now you've thrown another good option at me with the Takacat dinghy. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the U.S. distributer; very knowledgable guy and he was happy to banter the options around. He suggested the Lite version over the fiberglass center one. I am much more apt to go with the smaller Torqeedo 1003 because the battery is built in, it's very portable and will likely push the dinghy at 4-5 knots which is all I want. I can always go bigger later and use the 1003 as a back up. Right now I plan to use the dinghy more as an SUV than a sports car. I will definately add my own semi-permanant solar panel to it (I don't like Torqeedos huge fold-out panel).
The Lite would be my choice also because at 33 Kg and able to be rolled up, handles stowage issues for any passage. I tend to cringe when I see dinghies on davits in open waters.
Old 27-05-2013, 09:32   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post

The Lite would be my choice also because at 33 Kg and able to be rolled up, handles stowage issues for any passage. I tend to cringe when I see dinghies on davits in open waters.
You do? Here's a 12' Caribe with 25hp Enduro engine (I don't even bother getting it off for coastal sailing anymore) and never a problem. Here we're at it in 20-25kts overtaking catamarans at 10-12kts STW

This is off that bad bad big wave coast of Colombia by the way... best sailing in the world there!

EDIT: hmm can't see the coast... well it is back there behind us somewhere

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote