Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2022, 15:56   #46

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: OK to Mount Hydraulic Steering Rams on Deck?

Most folks would have to angle the rudders for a mock Ackerman effect. I'm not sure how you'd rig that so that they're both straight, and the inboard one moves more than the outboard one. How exactly is that done on a boat, and does anyone actually have a boat that is set up like this?

I'm still not convinced, not even close.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 27-01-2022, 16:00   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Extending this post’s logic, wouldn’t the hull need to bend into a C shape to the same arc as the turn too? With each hull bending different amounts?

Also, wouldn’t the hull be the real brake here since it doesn’t do that?

Ackerman works well on point contacts like wheels, but we have lines of contact, which make things way, way more complex.

As an example, how do you Ackerman an old-fashioned wood and metal sled on metal runners?
I didn't even think of the hulls!

Good point!

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 27-01-2022, 16:06   #48

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Most folks would have to angle the rudders for a mock Ackerman effect. I'm not sure how you'd rig that so that they're both straight, and the inboard one moves more than the outboard one. How exactly is that done on a boat, and does anyone actually have a boat that is set up like this?

Cheers.
Paul.

For hydraulic steering, rotating the steering arms on the rudder shafts and then adjusting the rudders to the desired position should do the trick if I'm not losing my mind. That would give you a setup where for a given amount of cylinder movement off center, each rudder would turn further in one direction vs the other.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 16:24   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For hydraulic steering, rotating the steering arms on the rudder shafts and then adjusting the rudders to the desired position should do the trick if I'm not losing my mind. That would give you a setup where for a given amount of cylinder movement off center, each rudder would turn further in one direction vs the other.
That can't give much, can it? Maybe a degree?

Good thought though. I was imagining lopsided quadrants..

I know when I was researching my system, it was recommended to avoid attaching the rods at the 90 degree point. Though I believe it had to do with the dead spot at 90, but I won't swear by it.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 27-01-2022, 16:38   #50

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I was picturing quadrants that are not a section of a circle, but a section of an oval.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 16:53   #51

Quote:
I was picturing quadrants that are not a section of a circle, but a section of an oval.
Yes, that seems more likely.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 17:22   #52

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Oval quadrants would do the trick too. I've got no idea how much Ackerman you'd want if it were determined to be beneficial. I'd expect my idea of moving the steering arms would only get a couple of degrees at most.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 17:31   #53

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

When driving a rudder shaft with linear motion you get the least degrees of rotation for a given linear movement when the line through the the centreline of the rudder shaft to the attachment point is at right angles to the rams movement and maximum rotation when the two lines approach collinear. The rate of rotation increase is not linear when shown on a graph with the rate of increase accelerating the further from 90° you get.

To apply Ackerman, set both the rudders at 0° attach one ram to the rudder at say 30° CW. The other at 30° ACW. One ram pushes the other pulls with equal linear travel. In this scenario one rudder is pushing towards 90° (decreasing rotation) and the other is pulling away from 90° (increasing rotation) so the rate of rotation is different for each.

If you want more Ackerman effect change the 30° to a greater angle or less for less. You can also change the mount point for the other end of the ram for a similar effect.

Easy and effective, working out what you want is hard. If I was doing it I think I'd make it adjustable. Start with a best guess and experiment.
Old 27-01-2022, 17:37   #54

Quote:

Cheers.
Paul.
My boat is set up as above.
Old 28-01-2022, 06:53   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
When driving a rudder shaft with linear motion you get the least degrees of rotation for a given linear movement when the line through the the centreline of the rudder shaft to the attachment point is at right angles to the rams movement and maximum rotation when the two lines approach collinear. The rate of rotation increase is not linear when shown on a graph with the rate of increase accelerating the further from 90° you get.

To apply Ackerman, set both the rudders at 0° attach one ram to the rudder at say 30° CW. The other at 30° ACW. One ram pushes the other pulls with equal linear travel. In this scenario one rudder is pushing towards 90° (decreasing rotation) and the other is pulling away from 90° (increasing rotation) so the rate of rotation is different for each.

If you want more Ackerman effect change the 30° to a greater angle or less for less. You can also change the mount point for the other end of the ram for a similar effect.

Easy and effective, working out what you want is hard. If I was doing it I think I'd make it adjustable. Start with a best guess and experiment.
Interesting. And a great explanation of how to do it. Thanks Dave.

Any idea what the maximum angle difference is at max turn?

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 28-01-2022, 09:27   #56

Quote:
Do those with kickup rudders have their hydraulic steering rams mounted outside on deck?

No corrosion worries?

Planning my install.

If you want to pay the cost of stainless steel hydraulic rams and components, deck mounted rams should be fine. Note that chrome plated ram rods tend to pit with constant sea water exposure. If such rods are closely examined on older commercial vessels, many will be found pitted. A well chosen stainless alloy is much more resilient. But even stainless that is subject to sea water will need occasional cleaning and polishing, as even stainless can corrode.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 17:23   #57

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
If you want to pay the cost of stainless steel hydraulic rams ... But even stainless that is subject to sea water will need occasional cleaning and polishing, as even stainless can corrode.
I've been out of the hydraulics industry for a bit. But I did work on and designed systems for marine applications through the 90's and none of the components were stainless.

As to cylinder rods in particular, my understanding is they are chromed because chrome is very hard and will take a much higher polish than stainless.
Old 28-01-2022, 21:07   #58

Quote:
Interesting. And a great explanation of how to do it. Thanks Dave.

Any idea what the maximum angle difference is at max turn?

Cheers.
Paul.
Any amount you want.

Way beyond what you would need on a catamaran.

You are only really limited by mechanical disadvantage. You could keep going with it until the loads become unacceptable. I'm tempted to say infinite theoretically.
Old 28-01-2022, 23:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
I've been out of the hydraulics industry for a bit. But I did work on and designed systems for marine applications through the 90's and none of the components were stainless.

As to cylinder rods in particular, my understanding is they are chromed because chrome is very hard and will take a much higher polish than stainless.

Yes, you are right about the properties of chrome. But I have seen a lot of pitted chrome on such things as deck crane rams. In some cases it is due to abuse. But chrome exposed to sea water can flake and pit. A well chromed ram rod can last a long time outdoors in sea spray. But pitting can happen too. A pitted ram will eventually damage the seal.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 03:28   #60

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Yes, you are right about the properties of chrome. But I have seen a lot of pitted chrome on such things as deck crane rams. In some cases it is due to abuse. But chrome exposed to sea water can flake and pit. A well chromed ram rod can last a long time outdoors in sea spray. But pitting can happen too. A pitted ram will eventually damage the seal.
So the moral of the story is probably to leave the rudders hard over when not in use to put the chrome inside the ram?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hydraulic steering, steering