Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 19:06   #721
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Posts: 1,337
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Don't give in BB! I've been away from the forum for a while, sporadically checking in. Was wondering if you ever decided to build a FF46
Hi Skye,

No, we are building the first FreeFlow 50, i.e. hull #1 in a new production design.
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 19:30   #722
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sanibel, FL
Boat: currently a power boat :(
Posts: 249
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Congrats! Sorry for thread drift, but do you have a website with specs and updates during build process?

Back to our regularly scheduled programming
__________________
Regards,
Skye
Blue Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 20:11   #723
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Posts: 1,337
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Congrats! Sorry for thread drift, but do you have a website with specs and updates during build process?

Back to our regularly scheduled programming
Thanks, it is an exciting boat, and somewhat unique. No sense doing what everybody else is doing

That info is all coming in the not too distant future.
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:20   #724
Registered User
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,398
Images: 69
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
"YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!"

Conrad Coleman in the Vendee Globe didn't think it was "pretty much useless", did he?
So you just buy the motor, fit it to your boat and off you go?

Doesn't need batteries, or a genset or anything?

An electric motor that doesn't need electricity. That IS impressive.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:25   #725
Registered User
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,398
Images: 69
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post

No sense doing what everybody else is doing :thumb.
Heck no! Where's the sense in doing something that's known and proven to work? Especially when you can spend 2 - 3 times as much on something that MIGHT work!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:43   #726
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Posts: 1,337
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Heck no! Where's the sense in doing something that's known and proven to work? Especially when you can spend 2 - 3 times as much on something that MIGHT work!
I wasn't actually referring to propulsion, but a few other things that will be different.
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:47   #727
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Posts: 1,337
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So you just buy the motor, fit it to your boat and off you go?

Doesn't need batteries, or a genset or anything?

An electric motor that doesn't need electricity. That IS impressive.
Sometimes 44, you can be a silly fellow. And then sometimes, you can make worthwhile contributions. Sometimes.
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:55   #728
Registered User
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,398
Images: 69
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Instead of personal abuse, how about answering the question? After spending your $15K, do you have an operable, useful propulsion system or not?
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 23:13   #729
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 589
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
At 12 knots there will be about 4.5kW PER MOTOR !
Out of interest Mr BB can you tell us how much drag is exerted by the leg and the prop at 12 knots.

If you are generating 4.5 KW . approx 6 HP, surely the drag would be similar to running a 6 hp outboard in reverse the whole time , OH, plus the drag of the leg and inefficiencies , so maybe 12 HP in reverse. Now if thats a 12 HP electric outboard, then what?? thats equivalent to a 20 HP petrol OB.

AND thats only for one motor.

Or doesn't it work like that?

I'm thinking , whilst the AC units will be keeping the boat nice and cool with this abundance of power, the passage times may increase by a "tad".

Infact it may be quicker to reverse to your destination.
__________________
Now, where's my stalker?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 00:08   #730
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Posts: 1,337
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Out of interest Mr BB can you tell us how much drag is exerted by the leg and the prop at 12 knots.

If you are generating 4.5 KW . approx 6 HP, surely the drag would be similar to running a 6 hp outboard in reverse the whole time , OH, plus the drag of the leg and inefficiencies , so maybe 12 HP in reverse. Now if thats a 12 HP electric outboard, then what?? thats equivalent to a 20 HP petrol OB.

AND thats only for one motor.

Or doesn't it work like that?

I'm thinking , whilst the AC units will be keeping the boat nice and cool with this abundance of power, the passage times may increase by a "tad".

Infact it may be quicker to reverse to your destination.
No, it doesn't work like that. I can tell you that both Kato and the Vendee Globe boat could not detect any definite speed change when the SD15 is put into regen mode. Coeman said a couple of times at slower speeds (for him) he thought maybe there was 0.25 knot in it, but it was a maybe.

It is not putting the prop in reverse.
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 00:30   #731
Registered User
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Posts: 12,891
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
No, it doesn't work like that. I can tell you that both Kato and the Vendee Globe boat could not detect any definite speed change when the SD15 is put into regen mode. Coeman said a couple of times at slower speeds (for him) he thought maybe there was 0.25 knot in it, but it was a maybe.

It is not putting the prop in reverse.
TANSTAAFL.

It is an epistemic impossibility to take 4.5kW out a boat's motion through the water without imposing at least an equivalent drag regardless of what method you use. If it were otherwise, you would have a perpetual motion machine of the first kind.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 00:54   #732
Registered User
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,398
Images: 69
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Thrust at full power speed, depends on the boat (hull resistance) what that speed value is.
It also depends greatly on the pitch and diameter of the propeller. Ie tugs have tremendous thrust, but don't go very fast considering the amount of power they have.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:11   #733
Registered User
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,398
Images: 69
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
TANSTAAFL.

It is an epistemic impossibility to take 4.5kW out a boat's motion through the water without imposing at least an equivalent drag regardless of what method you use. If it were otherwise, you would have a perpetual motion machine of the first kind.
Apparently, a 15 kw diesel can power a 10kw generator, which can power a 10 kw electric motor, which is equivalent to a 20. kw diesel.

So why not use a 10 kw electric motor to power a 20 kw generator, which could run both the generator motor Plus a 10 kw propulsion motor whilst using zero fuel.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38   #734
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW
Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Posts: 1,337
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
TANSTAAFL.

It is an epistemic impossibility to take 4.5kW out a boat's motion through the water without imposing at least an equivalent drag regardless of what method you use. If it were otherwise, you would have a perpetual motion machine of the first kind.
So Stu, how much would that slow down the boat? Depends on the boat, right?

OK lets take a boat that something is known about, like Conrad Coleman's IMOCA 60 in the last Vendee Globe, OK?

Here's the specs for the boat:
Length: 18.28m
Beam: 5.6m
Draft: 4.5m
Displacement: 8.5 Ton

And here are some datapoints of boatspeed and corresponding power from the SD15 regen logged during the race:

11 knots > 2.8 kW
15 knots > 3.3 kW
16 knots > 4.4 kW
18 knots > 5.5 kW Note that these were using the old prop not the new Servoprop, which is even better.

Could you enlighten us on your estimate of how much his boat was slowed down?

Could you suggest a reason he reported not seeing your epistemically certain drag on such a sophisticated race boat? You would think he could monitor his speed quite accurately, no?

Now, why would a fiercely competitive Vendee Globe racer want to use anything that would slow his boat down, even a bit???

This should be interesting....
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:56   #735
Registered User
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,398
Images: 69
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Did he win?
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyama Hybrid Batteries BlueSovereign Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 4 29-01-2014 14:37
For Sale: '07 Lagoon 420 Hybrid Catamaran £250,000 Octopus Classifieds Archive 9 08-11-2009 08:03
Hybrid vs Diesel - Pros and Cons capcook Engines and Propulsion Systems 17 10-06-2009 14:49
Hybrid Engines libellula Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 78 12-09-2008 19:34
diesel/electric hybrid sailorboy1 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 91 18-06-2008 18:03

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.