Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 08:40   #271

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

An acquaintance started an EP conversion on a 27' Catalac 2 years ago. He was very excited about the project and was constantly extolling the changes it would bring to his sailing experience.

After completing the installation on the port side, installing a new 48vdc generator, solar panels and battery bank, he became quiet about the upgrade. It seems the sea trial results did not match the vendors claims.

I have not heard that he plans to replace his starboard diesel.

EP boats are anything but new. Duffy has sold a popular electric boat for over 40 years. I used to see one regularly down in Corpus Christi. Cute boat. Never saw it very far from its dock though.

Here is a write up on EP boat history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_boat
Old 15-11-2016, 18:04   #272

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, a round the world race boat has exactly the same use case as a cruising yacht - not!

And another perfect piece of marketspeak:

Christian Hallberg: In fact, we initially developed the system for the 2016 Vendee Globe with another French team, which I canít mention. Thatís how we started working on passing the IMOCA 60 rule tests. The first one was a bollard pull test. The engine needed to create a bollard pull of 280 tons for 15 minutes. We thought this was going to be really tight for us, but we achieved it.
The second one requires the boat to run at a specific speed for 5 hours. That put stress on the batteries, but again the test went well.

Strange that they are very specific about the bollard pull criteria (and we know that EP is great at that because of the low RPM speed torque) but don't tell us what the "specific speed" for 5 hours was. (Can't be very high since they only have 600Ah or so of battery @ 12V).

I also found this amusing
"The whole idea behind Conradís ambition is to use the electric motor as a hydrogenerator, too. ...That way, he doesnít have to put more drag on his boat and he can feed his boat with energy, without requiring fuel. He will carry some fuel, but only for emergencies....He installed the battery in the same compartment as the diesel engine."

So basically, he's stuck an EP motor in there primarily as a hydrogenerator to supply his electical needs and will still have his diesel engine for propulsion.
Hi Stu, glad to hear your're amused

You may not be aware that these Vendee Globe racers have huge power demands, so their power generation and management is critical to them being able to keep racing. Just thought you should know that, and so yes, Coleman uses the OceanVolt every day for regeneration. But he only has one prop in the water and that is connected to...you guessed it, the same OceanVolt SD15 electric motor, in case he needs to motor. So no, he doesn't have a diesel engine for propulsion, it is for a redundant DC generator. He also has Watt & Sea on-board as further redundancy, same as many of the other racers. Oh, and also solar. Imagine that!

And FYI, the OceanVolt SD15 produces 2kW of battery charging at 6.5 knots boat speed and goes up very fast from there. Compare that to Watt & Sea and the robustness/reliability difference, and you'll perhaps see why the other Vendee Globe crews are watching closely.

I fail to see what's amusing about all that, but as long as you're happy. And since robustness and reliability of power generation is not of any real concern to cruisers, so yeah, I guess you're right, this has nothing to interest cruisers as it's not a good "use case".
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 18:13   #273

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Backing up a moment... the requirement for 280 tonnes of bollard pull... can that be correct? I find it hard to imagine that a prop that a racer would be willing to drag could possibly generate that kind of thrust, no matter what sort of engine/motor was attached to it. Or am I missing something here?

Jim
Old 15-11-2016, 19:00   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Hi Stu, glad to hear your're amused

You may not be aware that these Vendee Globe racers have huge power demands, so their power generation and management is critical to them being able to keep racing. Just thought you should know that, and so yes, Coleman uses the OceanVolt every day for regeneration. But he only has one prop in the water and that is connected to...you guessed it, the same OceanVolt SD15 electric motor, in case he needs to motor. So no, he doesn't have a diesel engine for propulsion, it is for a redundant DC generator. He also has Watt & Sea on-board as further redundancy, same as many of the other racers. Oh, and also solar. Imagine that!

And FYI, the OceanVolt SD15 produces 2kW of battery charging at 6.5 knots boat speed and goes up very fast from there. Compare that to Watt & Sea and the robustness/reliability difference, and you'll perhaps see why the other Vendee Globe crews are watching closely.

I fail to see what's amusing about all that, but as long as you're happy. And since robustness and reliability of power generation is not of any real concern to cruisers, so yeah, I guess you're right, this has nothing to interest cruisers as it's not a good "use case".
To me there's an underlying tyranny of physics. Cruisers don't average 12 knots. Hydrogenerators are one of those things that work great in the right application, but I can't see how it translate to cruisers whose boats avg 150 miles day especially when the hydrogenerators don't seem to kick in with any meaningful wattage until you're doing six knots.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 19:10   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
To me there's an underlying tyranny of physics. Cruisers don't average 12 knots. Hydrogenerators are one of those things that work great in the right application, but I can't see how it translate to cruisers whose boats avg 150 miles day especially when the hydrogenerators don't seem to kick in with any meaningful wattage until you're doing six knots.
2 kW at 6.5 knots is't too shoddy, is it? It's not a straight line graph, it curves up real fast.
Old 15-11-2016, 19:18   #276

It does indeed. Just the kickin is too fast for most.
Old 15-11-2016, 19:18   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Backing up a moment... the requirement for 280 tonnes of bollard pull... can that be correct? I find it hard to imagine that a prop that a racer would be willing to drag could possibly generate that kind of thrust, no matter what sort of engine/motor was attached to it. Or am I missing something here?

Jim
Jim,

That got my attention too.

I think it's a typo, as in an extra eight and zero. Or a missing decimal point between the 2 and 8 maybe??

And I don't think any of them drag around a fixed blade prop. Coleman reports no drag apparent on his speed instruments, of which I would think he has good calibrated ones. The OceanVolt SD15 has a folder.

The boat has good data logging, so there will be some really interesting information coming.
Old 15-11-2016, 19:21   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
It does indeed. Just the kickin is too fast for most.
Yep, sure is. That's where the robustness comes in. I'm wondering how he'll go in the southern ocean when he's averaging in the 20's?? That'll be a helluva lot of power!
Old 15-11-2016, 19:39   #279

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Jim,

That got my attention too.

I think it's a typo, as in an extra eight and zero. Or a missing decimal point between the 2 and 8 maybe??

And I don't think any of them drag around a fixed blade prop. Coleman reports no drag apparent on his speed instruments, of which I would think he has good calibrated ones. The OceanVolt SD15 has a folder.

The boat has good data logging, so there will be some really interesting information coming.
Beakie, how can you get regeneration with a folding prop? When you stop the engine or put it in neutral the prop folds and can't spin the generator.

Something funny here... they must have some means of driving the generator, and also some means of disconnecting it for when there is no need for the electrical generation (if ever!). No racer would accept that drag 24/7.

Jim
Old 15-11-2016, 19:47   #280

Quote:
Beakie, how can you get regeneration with a folding prop? When you stop the engine or put it in neutral the prop folds and can't spin the generator.

Something funny here... they must have some means of driving the generator, and also some means of disconnecting it for when there is no need for the electrical generation (if ever!). No racer would accept that drag 24/7.

Jim
Prop turns 180 and faces backward. Water forces blades opens and starts spinning them.
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 19:55   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDChristian View Post
Prop turns 180 and faces backward. Water forces blades opens and starts spinning them.
Good guess but, wrong. Much more elegant than that.
Old 15-11-2016, 20:05   #282

Quote:

Jim
That's correct, Jim. They spin the blades open just enough to have the water flowing past speed them up. So they get maximum energy from the water flow without the hassles of locking blades or stress on the prop mechanism.

When you want to stop regen you just put the motor in neutral or turn it off, and the folding prop does it's thing and folds.
Old 15-11-2016, 20:42   #283

Quote:
Good guess but, wrong. Much more elegant than that.

Pretty sure he was yankin your chain.
Old 15-11-2016, 20:46   #284

So these folding props do not open on centrifugal force?
Old 15-11-2016, 21:10   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Pretty sure he was yankin your chain.
Don't think so, that's the way some have tried it. The Moonwave saildrive was supposed to rotate, but that was a fizzer.

Tags
motor