Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2009, 09:18   #16

Bill Obrien Oceanic

My brother recently purchased a Oceanic 30. I'm aware they are built more for safety and comfort than speed, but how would you rate the speed compared with a similar LOA monohull? Also this was purchased without an engine. What size outboard would be adequate. Do you think a 25 hp would do it? Anyone have any ideas. Thanks. Dave Aye
dave aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 16:45   #17

Boat: Manta 40
I think Articus would be a great boat for the right price. It's been for sale for a long time, I remember seeing when we were looking for a cat in 04.

If they would take 10k and I could get it to Colorado I'd buy it with a budget of 50k for resto.

The ketch rig would be a little more fiddly but the advantage is smaller sails/easier handling. Looks like you could lose the mizzen mast if you wanted to then add a big chute on a furler up front and/or a longer boom and main sail. The mizzen might be a PO add-on.

The lack of BD clearance could be an issue but the hulls are also very close together which mitigates that factor, probably rides very similar to sport boat cats.

The interior has alot of potential as well, I think it could make a very nice cruiser. I recall finding an article about one of these boats rounding Cape Horn but can't find it at the moment.

Having said all that it is, IMHO, too small for a retirement home.
Old 24-01-2010, 21:00   #18

Thumbs up Oceanic30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Hi I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone our here knew anything about the following boat a 1969 Oceanic Cutter Ketch 34 Catamaran. My wife and I are looking at this to buy and in a few years to retire on and shopefully start bluewater cruising. The boat seems to be in fair condition mainly needing TLC and the price seems to be super. Any helpful hints would be welcome. Thanks
Hi there, not too sure if this is still relevant, I currently own an Oceanic 30, which her previous owners sailed all over the world for 18years, without any serious modifications being deemed neccessary, so that must say something for her sea worthiness. It's true that she does'nt go to wind at all well, but all depends what you want to use it for, I am currently based in Phuket, and she is ideal for me in the shallow waters and lagoons, very comfortable, I refitted the boat last year, and added a 3rd double cabin, by moving the heads to the starboard side next to the galley and extending and widening the old head space. She is a very easy boat to handle, not breathtaking performance, but more than acceptable, and very stable.
Gordonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 20:47   #19

looking for 30 ft oceanic catamarans

i own a 30 ft (bill o'brien designed) oceanic catamaran in corpus christi,texas.i would like to talk to anyone who has one.where ever you are. jim floyd jimf713@yahoo.com
jim floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 15:05   #20

Would like to discuss your experience with the boat. It's hard to find much info on the Oceanic. Do you know if the boat is plywood construction? What year is your boat?
jjkatis is offline   Reply With Quote