Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 20:49   #1

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
NW Multihull meeting, Polynesian Proas, Tuesday, April 2, Seattle

The Northwest Multihull Association will have its monthly meeting next Tuesday April 2 in Seattle.

We start off with potluck and meet and greet session at 6:30 pm, club meeting and presentation ~7:30 .

Program should be very interesting for those interested in multihull roots but most of us have more modern craft*from Brown, to Farriers to Outremers & Catanas so we talk about them too. All are welcome, no charge, no RSVP needed, bring something if you want to potluck with us.

Location: Puget Sound Yacht Club on Lake Union, 2321 N. Northlake Way, Seattle.

Non-Members are always welcome. For more information:www.nwmultihull.org (206)795-2111

April 2: “Still Sailing Fast and Far in Ancient Polynesian Proas

presented by Dr. Mimi George from vaka.org

Mimi will show video, diagrams, and slides of construction and sailing of the TePuke and TeAlo designs of outrigged voyaging canoes, and the explanations and demonstrations of the builders and sailors of these vessels. These designs are the ancient heritage of the Polynesian community of Taumako, in the SE Solomon Islands. They are the only Pacific islanders still building, sailing, and navigating using only ancient designs, materials, methods, and tools. *But the vessels do not require money or high tech equipment to build or maintain, and theyout-perform modern vessels in many ways. Mimi will show the jobs of crew members and the method of shunting (end to end tacking) will be demonstrated. Mimi will point out aerodynamic and hydrodynamic advantages in the performance of the hull, the outrigger, and the sail, and discuss whether this design can be built using modern materials. Plan on a lively Q and A discussion!

You can download a fascinating paper she wrote “GAUGING THE PERFORMANCE OF AN ANCIENT POLYNESIAN SAIL”. It’s athttp://www.nwmultihull.org/home. Just look for this photo of the crabclaw proa, but much smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 8.50.00 PM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	188848  
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 21:06   #2

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: NW Multihull meeting, Polynesian Proas, Tuesday, April 2, Seattle

Sounds good, Eric. We'll see you there.
Cheers,
Old 31-03-2019, 08:11   #3

Hello -
I am seeking information about a vessel I formerly owned, a 40' Nottingham Custom Trimaran, last seen in the Shelton, WA in 2010. We sold in 2008. The Thread, "Is this a Piver?" (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/is-this-a-piver-8669-new-post.html). Photos attached for reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190329_233337.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	189088   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_233235.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	189089  

Name:	20190329_233631.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	189090  
AmandaSoarsFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53   #4

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Amanda,

I have no problem you posting here but you will get a better response if you start your own thread. If I can do it, you can, this site is the most user friendly forum I have ever seen for a non techie type like me.

Be sure the title is carefully worded to exactly spell out your request.
Something like: "Seeking info on 40' Nottingham, Piver-like, Trimaran built Seattle ~1980" Put in the correct year and former names of the boat.
IMHO there is no such thing as a too long title. Its amazing, some titles have nothing to do with the information they seek, (dumb!) so I, and many others just scroll by and are no help.

Be sure to post the pictures you have of it, the old address of the builder if you have any of that documentation, and add a link to the old Piver thread that you revived. In other words, for best results, leave no stone (relevant info) unturned.

When you do this I will post a link to alert the Northwest, SFO and British Columbia multihull clubs of your quest. There may be a SoCal club too that I don't know about.

A lot of these boats end up in Mexico so try and find a group that includes that, maybe Facebook which I know very little about or another West Coast Mexico forum. You can write a letter to the editors of Latitude 38 and 48 North as many other boat seekers have done this. You should also peruse this long running, info packed thread about "similar" Sea runner trimarans. Maybe contact some of the contributors in that thread.

Someone knows what happened to your boat, you just have to find that person....... Good luck
Old 02-04-2019, 12:52   #5

Bit of a thread drift there but no worries on my part, its all good. I hope Amanda finds her old boat.

Oh and, Bump, OP meeting is tonight. Anyone in Seattle is invited, even monohullers!!

Tags
hull, multihull, seattle