Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2023, 03:16   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Noise levels...double glazed windows? Insulation?

One of the big heat transfer culprits is the metal window frames. My bronze frames are the biggest condensation vehicle in my boat--I'd argue more than the pane of glass in them. I really wish they made more elegant and strong plastic ones (marelon? Vinyl, like my house windows?) with glass panes in them.
Old 09-02-2023, 05:48   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
One of the big heat transfer culprits is the metal window frames. My bronze frames are the biggest condensation vehicle in my boat--I'd argue more than the pane of glass in them. I really wish they made more elegant and strong plastic ones (marelon? Vinyl, like my house windows?) with glass panes in them.

Or even design them as 2 halves that mount to the outside and inside of the hull respectively, allowing insulation to be built in between the 2 pieces of metal in most areas of the frame.

Window insulation wise, my biggest complaint on my sliding glass windows is air leakage. They're not well insulated in the sense that they're just 1/4" single pane glass, but where the drains sit in the tracks, there's no flocking to seal the edges of the windows (as that would restrict water flow) so there are a few big air leaks in the design.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 11:48   #18

When in heany weather I liked to hear what is going on so I can tell that everything is okay.

Plus I don't hide out below so I can see what is going on.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 18:58   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I don’t think the noise will be coming from the outside on the boats your looking at but probably from the inside with the creaking and groaning of the bulkheads against the hulls.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 00:34   #20

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I can't help but think that fitting sealed dg units to boats is a disaster waiting to happen. Once the seal is broken they develop condensation in between the panes. Unless they are mounted in such rigid frames that the weight would be enormous and totally unsuitable for a cat. It may reduce the noise due to slow progress resulting from this additional weight.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 22:41   #21

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

I'd be surprised if any manufacturer is even thinking about noise reduction when making decisions about insulation, it is almost certainly for thermal reasons. However, it doesn't mean it might not have a positive impact on noise as a side effect, though as most people have pointed out, the noise mostly comes through the hull, not the windows.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, noise, wind