Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51   #91

Re: No room for negotiation?

Very disrespectful referring to retard.
cfk0jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:22   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot,Bahia 46, Magic Inspiration
Send a message via Skype™ to CHARTER MAGIC

Dear DOCKDOC,

I understand your concerns, but I think that some of which are misplaced.

As a retired yacht broker , for over 25 years, I have seen the market swings that can effect offer acceptance from sellers. Right now with all the hurricane damaged boats out there, if an owner has a quality cat with no damage and the broker has been careful to compare value to the market then a list price should be what the boat is worth, not a dream number a broker has made up to get the listing. You see this a lot with real estate.

Also some of the older cats are built better than new ones due to manufacturing (cost savings) and design changes demanded by charter companies for big boxes.

As an owner with a cat for sale I have already had buyers asking me if my cat, Bahia 46, has had any damage, lighting, grounding, etc. since there are so many out there that have.

By the way, buying direct from an owner is not a problem, you can usually sort out the ones with emotional ties with a phone call, and there are companies out there that will do all your docs and protect your interest during the process.
CHARTER MAGIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36   #93

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

When I bought my Lagoon 380 S2 in 2014 I made 10 offers on 10 different Cats most never responded..but one great salemen in Martinque did and I bought my boat...most brokers work for the commision..they care about selling the boat the closest to the asking price..a small percentage see it as a numbers game sell allot of cats for less than the asking price I met two in my two year search one in Martinque and one in St Augustine..they were honest Boat brokers...so keep looking keep making offers
Martinique had allot of Cats for sale..good luck
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:39   #94

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

It seems that by now, you know your budget, and you know what you want in a cat.

A boat is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If you find the boat you want that is within your budget, make a lower offer, and if turned down, buy it anyway.

I have seen boats on the market for over 2 years because the owner insists that it is worth more than anyone is willing to pay. You will never convince these people that the boat is worth less. At some point, the price will come down, but that may be years away.

I never have a problem selling cars or boats. I start out slightly higher than market value, and then keep lowering the price until someone buys it. This works every time. I'm happy because I'm sure that I got true market value.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:47   #95

Boat: Aquila 54

What size cat are u looking for? I have a lagoon 400s for sale!
big dog II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50   #96

Suggest you buy a monohull. They're giving them away.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:57   #97

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

It's a movie quote. Tropic Thunder.

I am not sure what PC approved sensitive wording to put any more. What was descriptive terminology today is somehow offensive language tomorrow.
I haven't received my latest copy from the language police on what terms might offend someone somewhere in the far reaches of the world in 2019.

Buying a boat, in jest, I termed myself going "full retard" from the movie quote by Robert Downy Jr in Tropic Thunder.

Downey: "Everybody knows you never do a full retard."

Stiller: "What do you mean?"

Downey: "Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic, sure. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard."

Tolerance means accepting and living with those things you don't like, but you continue trying to try to understand or change them. Tolerance is not defined as accepting only what you approve of and condemning everything else with PC trigger words.

That aside I have been in contact with my broker. A Cat I was looking at but was way out of my budget has now had the magical "price reduction" at is in my sights. I will see how it goes.
Thanks again for all your replies.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:04   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
I have gone 'full retard' and started making offers on Catamarans. I have made 3 different offers on Cats each with a broker listing price of above 450k USD. My offers have all been within 92-95% of list price.

So far ever offer has been met with a "they won't take less than the list price". No counter, just a flat 'nope'.
I have purchased a few things before in my life that cost a pretty penny, and without exception, there was always the list price, and then some room for negotiation, offers, counter offers etc.

Is this just a market-driven phenomenon that is unique to Catamarans, or sailboats in general? Perhaps it's the maternal Portuguese blood in me but I just can't seem to pay the asking price for something without a good haggle!

I have decided to lick my wounds, lay low until mid-February and remount an attack.

Any advice? Am I being too stubborn, foolish, naive?

I know I will get the "buy directly from the owner" advice, but that scenario is full of emotional sellers entanglements I don't want to deal with. Been there done that, no thank you.
The Seller

I am sure you understand that you will pay more buying a broker listed vessel because the seller has to pay a 10% commission. I have a 2010 Seawind 1160 that I am interested in selling because I am now living in Arkansas. I suggest if you are serious as in ready to buy and not just kicking hulls you research the market, then come to Jacksonville where the boat is slipped. I just hauled and bottom painted the boat with Micron66 and installed a lithium 400 amp house bank.

You might still find it in Yacht World or if not familiar with Seawind 1160 look at Seawind Catamarans. Or go to the MIA Boat show. I am in the forum under "anotherview" and if you're serious I'll fly to JAX and show you the boat and go for a sail if you like.

Cheers,
Roger

I am ready, willing and able to see Another View have a happy home. Are you a ready, willing and able to buy purchaser?
anotherview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:05   #99

Boat: Byliner 3258

A couple of years ago I found a trailerable trawler in the sellers front yard. I looked at the boat and told the seller I would call him later. I waited a week which gave us both a cool down period. I phoned him and made a low ball offer and was told in no uncertain terms that I was an ass and then the phone was slammed on my ear. The seller did not counter offer which was what I expected.
Two weeks later I got a call from the seller who then proceeded to call me out and who questioned my integrity, he was not happy! he then took my low ball offer with no negotiating.
You can never tell what goes through peoples minds or the reason they are selling or buying. Remember the old saying about the two best days in a sailors life.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:17   #100
LF4

https://marinesource.com/boats-for-s...gnmb=100821345

I think it's this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherview View Post
The Seller

I am sure you understand that you will pay more buying a broker listed vessel because the seller has to pay a 10% commission. I have a 2010 Seawind 1160 that I am interested in selling because I am now living in Arkansas. I suggest if you are serious as in ready to buy and not just kicking hulls you research the market, then come to Jacksonville where the boat is slipped. I just hauled and bottom painted the boat with Micron66 and installed a lithium 400 amp house bank.

You might still find it in Yacht World or if not familiar with Seawind 1160 look at Seawind Catamarans. Or go to the MIA Boat show. I am in the forum under "anotherview" and if you're serious I'll fly to JAX and show you the boat and go for a sail if you like.

Cheers,
Roger

I am ready, willing and able to see Another View have a happy home. Are you a ready, willing and able to buy purchaser?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24   #101

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

Doc, I was not going to post, but then I decided I needed to put in my two cents. My Dolphin 460 is probably a little to pricey for your budget and maybe to much boat not knowing your experience level, but here are some thoughts.

It is extremely difficult to judge one similar boat to another, even same size and make cats. There are so many factors to consider. For me, I have been in and around boats all my life, I even at one point had a half interest in a boat yard. I have always applied the following when trying to discern if it is right for me.....a restaurant, if the bathroom are not spotless, I walk out. As to boats, I apply the same philosophy. I look for detailed records, no deferred maintenance, and kept as close to new as possible.

As for my Dolphin 460, in ordered to find the right buyer that wants and appreciates the above, I have gone one step further. With an agreed upon price and a non refundable deposit of $10,000 that can be applied to a purchase, I offer a pontential buyer a one weeks vacation aboard Finalmente with my wife and me. You pay to get to CORFU Greece where we will pick up you and your wife. Then we will sail the Ionian allowing you to make an informed decision as to wether Finalmente is the right boat for you. While on board you are our guest. If one is really interest in making sure you have found the right boat this is the best way to do it.

You can check out my boat under boats for sale. She is also listed with the Multihull Company, ask for Alexis.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:53   #102

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Additional leverage is the costs of keeping the boat after putting in up for sale: dock fees, maintenance (bottom, wash/wax, insurance, etc.). These expenses continue until the boat is sold. Cats can require double slips. I always ask those "how much" questions when in negotiations just to remind the seller.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:57   #103

Boat: 1987 Holiday Ted Brewer design 51.9

I have a 52 foot sailboat, not a cat , for sail in Long Beach MS and would’ve more than happy to negotiate the price with you. Text me at 601-297-8050
ptgautreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:03   #104

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

I wish you the best in finding a great cat at an attractive price point.

However, as the retired founder or a non-profit serving folks with intellectual and developmental disabilities, I'd like to educate you that the term "retard" is prejudicial and inappropriate. Special needs folks live very successful lives with support. Using "retard' as a diminishment is like calling people negroes or redskins or, slants. etc.
Im not particularly PC, but felt a need to educate.

Laura
s/v Artemis
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:37   #105

So glad to hear all aspects of this process. I'm just getting into sailing and want to purchase a catamaran for me and my wife to explore the world. Just watching the ad's and youtube, it appears to be some solid brokers out there, also sellers. I'm an If it's meant to be, it will happen guy.

It's the whole patience thing that is so hard. Please keep posting your search, would love to see you get your boat. Just remember no matter where you go, there you are.
Garbone is offline   Reply With Quote