Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 14:15   #181

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'
Re: No love for trimarans - why?

Hi there All,

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while Busy with so many projects in life.

Just an update. We are 1.5 yrs into the refit. It is going well, but ssssslllllow. Part of that reason is because I am not there to supervise. Overall, though, I am mostly satisfied with the progress thus far.

I did scale my ambitions for the project waaaaaaay back. I decided to leave the interior salon and cabins mostly untouched, save for a few cabinetry upgrades here and there, and not raise the main cabin floor nor build out a new main cabin saloon. Instead I focused on huge new pilot house coach roof and cockpit redesign. This also forces remodel/ redesign of the aft cabin. It’s coming along nicely but lots of little technical projects and details. I live in California now so I fly back and forth to Cebu, Philippines every few months to check the progress of the build. I can only afford a small crew to run the project right now so that’s probably adding to the extra time.

I’ll post some pics in the next few days.
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 15:44   #182
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I might be going up to Carmen in a few weeks are you at Zeke's? I might care to look at such aajor project in person. When you say raise the main cabin floor are you speaking of replacing or lifting it higher?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 04:16   #183
Marine Service Provider

1.4 million Euro for a 55ft solar catamaran

Hmm

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifest...165502707.html

Complete with claims to power the house electrics, with AC, and propel the vessel all night long on just 30 solar panels.

Well there certainly will be some sadly disappointed owners.

They claim 10 kW "peak" power and unlimited range.

Well yes if the wind and current is pushing it. You certainly don't get many horses when you convert 10 kW. Specifically we are talking less than 10 hp and that is only on a perfectly clear day at high noon on the equator. Practically averaged out over 24 hours and not on the equator these 30 solars might average out to about 2-3 hp on the prop especially after subtracting power to the AC, fridge, and electronics.

Now on a big 65 ft trimaran you might be able to squeeze four times the number of solar panels and most of them could be bifacial. However, I still don't see the energy economics working. I motored all night many nights using my 150 hp engine at perhaps 50-75 hp. Even with 120 solar panels you could never obtain enough juice to run.
Old 26-08-2019, 04:40   #184

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Try again, 10kw is 13.3hp.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the daily average. Without tracking you can expect about 3,000a-hr/day from that setup. That works out to 125amps @12v continuous, 1.5kw or 2hp continuous. With that I would expect the boat to be able to motor at 2.5-3kt continuously.

Battery bank is going to be about 3,500-4500lb using lead acid.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 17:48   #185
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Try again, 10kw is 13.3hp.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the daily average. Without tracking you can expect about 3,000a-hr/day from that setup. That works out to 125amps @12v continuous, 1.5kw or 2hp continuous. With that I would expect the boat to be able to motor at 2.5-3kt continuously.

Battery bank is going to be about 3,500-4500lb using lead acid.
Please don't get me wrong. I hope someday a workable all solar cruising vessel is a reality. However, I argue that even a trimaran with the reduced windage, three times the number of panels, and far more bifacial panels is not practical reality.

This is especially true if running AC and fridge/freezer on solar. My calcs for my vessel yielded a 7 kW answer to run these two loads. This catamaran with all those glass windows is going to require a huge cooling capacity to operate where most people like to go. A

The article only mentions a backup generator to power the bank. Well, perhaps two for redundancy and 20 kW each might be required.
Old 26-08-2019, 19:22   #186

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Ah, you had caveats to the 10kw being less than 10hp but didn’t state them in the post I replied to. Makes more sense now.

As workable is currently defined there will never be a workable solar vessel, panels can never reach the needed efficiency and there will never be storage that has enough capacity at a light enough weight to make it work.

Personally my idea of workable is probably more limited than most peoples and I am trying to make it work on my boat.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:17   #187

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Ah, you had caveats to the 10kw being less than 10hp but didn’t state them in the post I replied to. Makes more sense now.

As workable is currently defined there will never be a workable solar vessel, panels can never reach the needed efficiency and there will never be storage that has enough capacity at a light enough weight to make it work.

Personally my idea of workable is probably more limited than most peoples and I am trying to make it work on my boat.
Never say never, remember the vacuum tubes. I would expect solar panels will make significant advancements, at will batteries, whether in our lifetimes? I doubt mine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 10:43   #188

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Actually, the future is not that far:

https://news.rice.edu/2019/07/12/ric...at-into-light/
Old 21-02-2021, 16:55   #189
Marine Service Provider

I am reviving this thread because I love the title. I also love trimarans.

A few weeks ago...I had someone contact me urgently asking if my vessel was still for sale. He said he couldn't believe his luck that he found the largest Kantola trimaran ever built and he so so so wanted to buy it.

Well he was a little late late late. I did everything I could to find someone who could recognize what I had. The only other person who came to that level of excitement when looking at my vessel was a Frenchman. He was an around the world racer and said he could pop a 100 foot tall stick on my vessel. I think perhaps he was the same guy who went around the world several times breaking masts off vessels. I don't think he ever had to pay for them himself and always had sponsors.

Finding sponsors was something I never succeeded in doing nor really tried to do.
Old 21-02-2021, 17:04   #190
Marine Service Provider

Speaking of unloved trimaran's. Rosinante is still searching for a buyer. Now this is one sweet trimaran. It is 63 feet long and was demasted last year. Knowing what I learned the hard way, I would turn this into a very capable and easy going cruising vessel with a modest 50 foot mast. She would only go about 15 knots with a stick like that but it is still plenty fast and far less of a risk to the wallet.

People who have the money for a whole new design mast and sails that brought it up to original spec simply are next to impossible to find. They would rather buy a complete new condo-cat.

https://www.multihullcompany.com/boa...?catid=7127922
Old 22-02-2021, 10:07   #191

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Well I'll bite.

I love:
Pados, a Newick Creative 42 for sale in Ontario
Angella, an Antrim 40 for sale in Malaysia

And my wife especially loves:
Rapido 40 - https://rapidotrimarans.com/rapido-40

And finally (best for last?):
Paradox -
Old 22-02-2021, 10:50   #192
Marine Service Provider

Personally, I think the Antrim 40 must really fly with that 59 foot tall mast.

Likely it would be a good candidate to win Thailand's King's Cup.

I have followed the website for Rapido. This is the first time I have seen their new C Foils. It is good to see this new technology brought into general production. It also reinforces my point about the Perry trimaran in my previous post. Even if someone spent the big bucks to refit Rosinante with a new mast and sails, the vessel would still be a 20+ year old vessel without foils. Likely it would be slow compared to the Rapido.

This said, slow is good in my book. I sure would hate to strike a log at the type of speeds these newer trimarans fly. I struck one log along the Borneo coast and only suffered minor scratches. Then somewhere crossing the Sulu Sea I must have hit something big because my propeller was bent. What ever did that damage would certainly have damaged some of these bits hanging below these new higher tech trimarans.
Old 22-02-2021, 10:59   #193

Fancy foils are for day sailing and deep pockets, a Gunboat hit a daggerboard and a rudder in the Bahamas costing $150k to repair, the insurance had a $90k deductible
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 22:49   #194

Boat: 46' Hughes Trimaran (46' x 44')

Tris sail like monos. Cats don't. Yes, least mount of room of the the three. I like, however, the speed, and you can push a tri harder than a cat. Trimarans all the way ...
P1PEL1NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 14:19   #195
Marine Service Provider

So after being ashore too many months I have begun the process again.

I have been increasingly captivated by a vessel made by O Yacht. The class 6 is only a little shorter than my Kantola 65 but just 31 feet wide. That width is narrow enough to get up in a travel lift. More importantly, the class 6 offers an absolute ton of living space.

Notice the central "spine" in the photograph. They advertise that spine provides space and buoyancy.

"Extra hull. The Spine becomes a third hull in gales."

I guess that is like a trimaran huh?

Would you go forward on this vessel in a gale? Would you be able to handle an anchor problem trying to get a stuck anchor down in rough weather?

This manufacturer seems willing to work with a buyer to tailor a vessel to their needs. Well I need security forward.

I also need two chainplates capable of withstanding about 30,000 kg of pull by 200 little parachutes in a Jordan Series Drogue.

Further, I have firmly decided now against using a paratech anchor from the bows and face breaking waves head on. Instead I have elected to work with a manufacturer to eliminate the GD sliding glass doorwall on the rear. Instead I want a high step over and two narrow doors that seal tight. Two tough port holes facing rearward would be nice too.

Has anyone seen a more greenwater ready catamaran of this nature?

I.E. a catamaran with a central bow pulpit, an anchor chain from the top, anchor chain storage above water in a wash down compartment, and strength in the rear?

Am I missing any other trimaran builders that potentially can make me a new greenwater capable vessel?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Class_6_Spine O Yachts.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	256255  

Tags
trimaran