Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 13:37   #16
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Have to agree with the comments on the Wildcat - they have developed a horrible reputation in terms of their construction. You might want to check out the www.mulithulls.com - as I recall, there were several posts citing serious failings of everything up to and including the hull-deck joint.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38   #17

what about a tri?

I'm a catamaran owner (Lagoon 42 TPI) and love cats, but for SoCal (where I live full time) you might want to look at the Ferrier trimarans - specifically the F31? A bit small inside, but fine for weekends in Catalina, etc., and much better sailing than some of the smaller cruising cats. Note that this is more of a performance boat than a cruising boat, ergo more of a weekender than full timer. Bonus is that they can be kept on a trailer in the boat yard (or yacht club), or the amas can fold up to fit into a conventional slip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Brad
zzzixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 17:59   #18

Boat: next
Hi All... Great stuff on this forum...
Well, I'm turnin from a peeker to a poster (I'm thinkin its a good thing)...
Not trying to hike your post...just tryin to get more info...
So, I'm also So Cal and thinking about an older Gemini (budget). When I'm ready, going to Fl. or where ever is not that big of an issue, more of an adventure. The big plan is to go to Hawaii for about a year (in a year), working and fitting (refitting) during that time. Then the South Pacific for a year (at least thats the plan).
The layout is nice (for its size) but I wonder about bridgedeck and pounding (slapping) issues.
What are the general thoughts and experiences on this little cat????

Thanks in advance for the informative replies...

Jerry
airacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 20:24   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
When you say older Gemini are you talking about the 3400 or an even earlier model? These were designed and built as coastal cruisers and I recall at the time the designer/builder did not recommend them for offshore cruisers. I have read of a 3400 going to Hawaii and beyond but bear in mind this is not the intended use of this boat. I recall the owner did some structural reinforcement but still had a few problems but he diid make it. If you are sold on the Gemini give the 105 some consideration instead of an older model.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:43   #20

Boat: next
Steve
Thanks for the input, I didn't know they did structural reinforcement. This is not beyond my abilities, but is making me think I'll have to reconsider. I may have to go to a mono within my price range. There is just so much more room on a multi...
thanks...
airacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
airacer
Don't give up yet. You could look for an older model Prout Snowgoose (pre 1985) or a Wharram cat. It seems easier to find a trimaran for under 60k(my guess at your budget). You could find a Searunner 31,34,37, or 40 tri in that 25-60k range or a Cross 31,35, or 38 tri. I think there is a Cross 39 for sale in the LA area for 50k. These are the more common trimarans but there are others like Pivers and Horstmans also. They have plenty of interior space though not as much as a similar size cat. If you had 125k+ to spend get a cat but for those with a more limited budget IMO a trimaran may make more sense from an affordability standpoint. It seems that with a few exceptions the cats available at this lower price range may not be designed for offshore work. Any of the trimarans I listed are capable Water boats">blue water boats and they all have a long record of crosssing oceans.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 11:34   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
ELCUBANITO,

If you are really planning on going as far as Argetina. Get something that isn't likely to do 2 knots. You need to learn to get out of the way of weather, and a long trip can seem an eternity just poking along. That doesn't mean you need a race horse, but at least get something that will trot.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 13:16   #23

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzixxx View Post
SNIP

(where I live full time) you might want to look at the Ferrier trimarans - specifically the F31? A bit small inside, but fine for weekends in Catalina, etc., and much better sailing than some of the smaller cruising cats.

SNIP

Just to second what Brad said. Take a look at the Corsair and Farrier boats. The 31 is perfect for one or two people.

The performance will blow you away, and the ability to fold the boat and do 55 miles an hour upwind on the highway opens up a whole new world of cruising.

If you want more insight, feel free to PM me and I will call you live to discuss why my wife and I bought one.

Cheers,