Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 05:47   #1

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44
New Video: Bimini to Norman's Cay

In this installment, we leave Bimini and head back to Gun Cay to get an early start for the long haul to Chub Cay. After that, we sail on to Rose Island, Allan's Cay, and finally to Norman's Cay where this episode ends, and the next one begins. As always, stay tuned to the end for fun stuff and a Daisy tribute.

Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:47   #2

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: New Video: Bimini to Norman's Cay

awesome thank for the video.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:20   #3

Boat: Still planning

Is the satellite view actually of your boat? If so, how do you get that?
Old 08-02-2015, 05:32   #4

I was wondering if someone would ask about that....which means I did a pretty good job. But I have had many more people ask about it than I ever imagined. And now I am almost embarrassed to admit how I did it...and maybe I should just tell everybody I have connections with NASA and they shoot a picture after I tell them my coordinates....but that's not the case.

What I did is found my boat on Google Earth (it was still in the boatyard where I bought her)....grabbed that image...cut out all the surroundings, and paste it into where I am anchored and I try to position it the way that I am anchored, and I also "erase" the other boats that might be in the Google image. Its a little cheesy, but it gives our family and others a good idea of where we are and I think it works pretty good. Hope that doesn't ruin the idea that I have satellite images of each anchorage I visit. But it truly is an image of my boat.
Old 08-02-2015, 17:09   #5

Boat: Still planning

I am so disappointed. I was hoping you had connections with one of the three letter organizations.

Nonetheless, we will be following your path in the next few weeks.

Any suggestions on the leg to Chub Key? It is a long trek. Did you motor or sail?

Enjoying your posts, thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 18:36   #6

The leg to Chub was one of the longest you'll face in your trek down the thorny path (so I've heard). And we read that if you set up the night before in Gun or Cat, then it gives you a leg up on the cruise to Chub.
And one thing that we've learned in our short time we've cruised is this: don't wait for good wind....if you have a flat sea and no wind, that's better than too high of winds and a shitty sea.
We kinda made the mistake after we got to Chub in our sail down to Rose Island in that we passed up on a calm and flat sea thinking that we'd wait for some wind that would help us sail down...and passed on a beautifully flat and calm day. When we did set sail, we did have winds, but also a rougher sea and had to fight with squalls throughout the day - so, I check passageweather.com and wait for a nice calm and flat day and hope to have some beam winds that help.
We motor sailed to Chub from Gun and pulled anchor at 4:30am and just watched our chart until the sun came up. We hoisted the sails as soon as there was light and that helped about 1 - 1 1/2 knots and we made it to Chub at 3:30 pm.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2015, 19:57   #7

One other thing: we made about 7.5 knots the whole time running our engines at 2300 rpm, sometimes getting 8.0 knots - we had a flat sea, decent beam winds (although they were very light), and no strong currents. But the good reason to leave from Gun instead of Bimini is that it will save 1-2 hours and also there is no tricky exit like leaving Bimini through the channel and then going over a shallow area at the tip of South Bimini - from Gun its a straight shot with no shallow spots.
Old 08-02-2015, 20:12   #8

Nice video...

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini