Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 14:55   #1

New Solo Round Australia record

Bit late, but thought it rated a mention:

Sailor Bruce Arms sets new world-record - ABC Sunshine & Cooloola Coasts Qld - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

"Queensland sailor Bruce Arms has set a new world-record for sailing solo, non-stop and unassisted around Australia.

Renowned sailor Bruce Arms from the Sunshine Coast sailed into a stormy Mooloolaba just before 10 O'clock this morning to claim victory and the new world-record for sailing solo, non-stop and unassisted around Australia.
The two-time winner of the Solo Trans-Tasman Yacht Race completed his journey 79 hours and 27 minutes ahead of the existing record of 42 days 5 hours 33 minutes.
The yacht called the Big Wave Rider was built by Bruce, and is also the first multi-hull vessel of its kind to complete the non-stop voyage.
Although his attempt is yet to be ratified by race officials, current race record holder Ian Thomson of England has already rung Bruce to congratulate him.
Once over the finish line, Bruce made his way to the Mooloolaba Yacht Club to waiting friends and family and the media.
"It's great to be back here, it's nice and warm too. It's amazing, it's going to take a week to sink in actually.
"I think the boat needs a good rest - she's done a few hard miles and I've had twenty minutes sleep in the last twenty-four hours so yeah that's been a bit tough.
"We had a lot of prawn trawlers and ships out there last night and, we had to do quite a bit of dodging and awake all the time so that was pretty hard...but it's good to be home," says Bruce.
Good friend and fellow world-record breaking sailor Jessica Watson boarded Bruce's yacht at the finish line and took control of the helm to allow Bruce time to wave to the spectators who'd gathered along the Mooloolaba Spit to see the new world record holder arrive home safely.
"It's just so exciting... It was a total role reversal for me to see Bruce in, he was the first out to see me when I came in so it's been really nice to be able to do the same to some extent...it's been really tough out there for Bruce and it's really lovely to have him back," says Jessica."
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:27   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: New Solo Round Australia record

I have seen a few photos of his self built cat but would be good to see a bit more of his vessel detail on the obviously very good and reliable systems he has built into it. He had some very heavy weather leaving southern end of WA.

I note he has composite chainplates similar to your Oram, 44c.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:59   #3

Boat: too many

This is the sentimental side of me, so instead of asking about the cat's build, I thought it was becoming that since Bruce was the first to board Jessica's Elle Pink Lady upon her return from her solo circumnavigation, she was the first to board his and steer so he could wave to the crowds. Last I heard, Jessica Watson is racing in the 10.5 class in France and has put together the youngest crew ever in the series. You local blokes ought to know, don't want to highjack the thread, but what is Jessica up to now?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 17:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This is the sentimental side of me, so instead of asking about the cat's build, I thought it was becoming that since Bruce was the first to board Jessica's Elle Pink Lady upon her return from her solo circumnavigation, she was the first to board his and steer so he could wave to the crowds. Last I heard, Jessica Watson is racing in the 10.5 class in France and has put together the youngest crew ever in the series. You local blokes ought to know, don't want to highjack the thread, but what is Jessica up to now?
She just finished 2nd in her division in the Sydney to Hobart....

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2011.. They came - they saw - they conquered - so they dunked Jessica
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:53   #5

Bruce's boat is a Chamberlin design sitting in Mooloolaba. We too have a Chamberlin 44. Excellent designer, we love it.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 15:07   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
Bruce's boat is a Chamberlin design sitting in Mooloolaba. We too have a Chamberlin 44. Excellent designer, we love it.

Teeto,

Thanks. was aware it was a Chamberlain design,. Thought many forum users would be interested in a bit more detail, photos as he is not well known as a designer elswhere than in NZ and Aus.

cheers

some links

Robin Chamberlin - Designer of the Chamberlin 10m | The Hammonds

Performance Cruising Catamaran 39 foot - The Andaman Cabriolet

Chamberlin 10.6 Launched in New Zealand.

http://www.chamberlinmarine.com.au/news-a-events.html
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, record