Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 13:47   #136

Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
The price makes sense, it looks aimed directly at the Balance 442. Both are said to be performance cruisers but they’re pretty portly, 11t give or take!!

The Balance is an interesting boat. A high roof salon like a cruising/live aboard cat, but with dagger-boards like a performance cat. Those features and the Versa-helm.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 14:56   #137

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

Not on yachtworld as of yesterday (at least in N. America). Only new boat slots advertised and when I checked, was told by dealer that next slots are spring of 2022. He told me that demand is high, but seawind does not want to chance an expansion and run into a downturn having to pay for too big an operation. Having done 7 startups in my career, I understand this thinking, OTH, it limits your growth tremendously.

If you know of any boats, I would appreciate if you could PM me.

PM sent
Old 17-07-2020, 15:15   #138

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuke View Post
I think the way it works is that dealers bid for boat slots, so my dealer had hull #4 and #15. After the initial assignments, then you go to the end of the list. I skipped on #4 and went to #15 but I had to decide on the 11th. My dealre was on the phone emails all weekend. The 1260 I had on order was scheduled for Sep 21 delivery and I was told there was a waiting list of at least another ~8 boats after that so the 1260 waiting list I think was extending to end 2022 early 2023. Can't remember exactly.

The 1260 is great value for money, especially when you spec up the "bling" on the boat (which is what I did). Seawind is not too bad in this area compared to some of the others.
Hmmm, that's different than how I understood with the slots and dealers. When we commissioned to have our Seawind built in 2018, we put down a deposit on a build slot, and the contract had an expected date schedule (start thru completion). That deposit was something like $20k. The next payment was due at commencement of construction, the next at joining of hull and deck, then fitout, and then completion prior to shipout. They were very good about sending progress reports and pictures to document work done. (I guess that makes sense, because you are sending them some big checks.) If dealers were competing with real buyers for slots, I was unaware. Plus I guess if a dealer cannot find someone to take his slot, then he either loses his deposit, or starts paying to have a boat built for himself. I know that you generally do not have dealers sitting with completed boats waiting to be sold. (I have seen a couple, but that's not the norm.)

Re: schedule, our 1160 Lite started mid June, and was ready to ship mid December. That was about two months longer than the original estimate. (I think there was a delay waiting on windows and portlights, that pushed back the interior completion.)
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:20   #139

Seems like the 1370 makes the 1260 a bit more dated and I like both of them. I wonder if/when they will revisit the 12m size and price point. The 1260 is where our budget is at but just seems like it’s getting dated.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 18:58   #140

Boat: Boatless but working on it

I don’t think so. It looks more like Seawind is putting out a more luxurious type catamaran to rival the offerings from some of the builders who have a larger share of the market. There was a hole in between the 1600 and the smaller boats. The 1260 retains it slim hulls and lower topsides and the layout carries the same number of bunks as the 1370, the aft one being smaller. The lithium battery packages are very similar. The 1260s salon and galley look to be bigger but the cabins and chart table smaller.
Different strokes for different folks. I’d say the 1260 has a niche and offers great bang for buck with all of the same up to date systems on offer as the new model. Hull number 1 was launched a little more than 2 years ago.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 19:26   #141

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Does anyone have the Lwl/Bh of the 1260 and 1370? Is the new boat actually wider or is that just what everyone is guessing based on renders?

Matt
Old 17-07-2020, 20:10   #142

Boat: Boatless but working on it

1370. LWL. 45’. Beam 24’11 Displacement 24,250lbs
1260. LWL. 41’. Beam.22’3” Displacement 18,077lbs
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 22:33   #143

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I haven't seen many of their reviews but in the ones I've seen, you can see a bias. That bias became abundantly clear with this latest announcement.
I don’t see bias in Ruby Rose, I see an appreciation of the product followed by enough confidence to put an offer to the manufacture who is smart enough to recognise the value of efficient marketing. At the same time they would have had to put hard cash down, Seawind would not be giving them a free boat.
Those two are not stupid and they would not be sailing it across oceans unless they believed it was safe and what they want for a home and workplace for the next 5 or ten years.

Bias... give me a break.
away again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 01:49   #144

Boat: Whitley Monterey 5.8
Re: New Seawind - terrible helm

Quote:
A manufacturer knows about a new boat LONG before it is announced publicly. Based on some of their newer revues that I watched, I thought something was fishy with some of their comments (scores not lining up with words for competitors) but now, it's clear to me, the fix was in so to speak.

If they did receive any kind of compensation / discount / whatever from Seawind, they should disclose that information. I know they aren't journalist per se but they should have integrity about this.
If you follow the channel you would already know that they have stated that they are receiving a favourable deal as part of the partnership with Seawind. They have been very open about it.

As far as the reviews go they also talk about the timing of finding out about the 1370, if memory serves it was after they published the 1600 review and during the inspection of the 1260 (so by default before they published).

I would suggest that they have been quite transparent in their acknowledgement of a partnership with Seawind But more importantl, who else has a comprehensive review of a large number of Catamarans available to prospective purchasers such as myself at no charge??
dgmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 02:26   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmyles View Post
But more importantl, who else has a comprehensive review of a large number of Catamarans available to prospective purchasers such as myself at no charge??

A biased review from someone being compensated by a competitor is less than worthless. Sure, it may be entertaining but some people believe everything someone else with a vested interest in something else tells them.

At the very least, it does seem disingenuous.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 02:48   #146

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Thanks. But I'm looking for the slimness ratio of the hull, not overall beam. It would be shown in a ratio of 8:1 to 20:1.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
1370. LWL. 45’. Beam 24’11 Displacement 24,250lbs
1260. LWL. 41’. Beam.22’3” Displacement 18,077lbs
Old 18-07-2020, 07:56   #147

Quote:
A biased review from someone being compensated by a competitor is less than worthless. Sure, it may be entertaining but some people believe everything someone else with a vested interest in something else tells them.

At the very least, it does seem disingenuous.
If you check the timeline, you will find, that they finished allmost all reviews before meeting the Seawind people in Annapolis last year in the fall.
But hey, if you still think they are biased...
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 09:22   #148

Seawind/Corsair is a great boat building company with a reputation built over 35 years. Talk to Seawind owners and they are mostly satified with their boats and Seawind's excellent after sales service. It's nice that Ruby Rose had positive well deserved things to say about their boats. However Seawind already had a multi year waiting list prior to Ruby Rose reviews. Like LaVaga, Ruby will end up being a brand ambassadore for branding reasons. That will be worth a small discount and a strong relationship with the factory. Not much more. The 1260 is a very nice cat with nothing else in its class in terms of size, price and performance. Galley down in the 1260 is fantastic. But for some people the galley down and lack of storage is a turn off. The 1370 adds a modern classy look and solves those problems for those customers willing to pay more and wait. For sure, Outremer just lost a bunch of business.
Wigglygoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 14:25   #149

A comment on the helm position of the Seawinds. We had an 1160 for ten years, and loved the low position, twin helms. We chose it after previously having paid a deposit on a Lightwave (which has a single helm up in a sort of conning tower). On a race, we saw a LW T-bone another boat, because from his raised position, the skipper couldn’t see through his genoa.

A raised helm is absolutely NOT a solution to visibility in a sailing boat under sail.

When motoring, and picking ones way through coral, we would have someone standing on the roof wearing polarised sunnies.

Options on the 1370 can be seen here. https://seawindcats.com/options/seawind-1370/
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 01:32   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
If you check the timeline, you will find, that they finished allmost all reviews before meeting the Seawind people in Annapolis last year in the fall.
But hey, if you still think they are biased...
Correct me if I am wrong, but from my recollection the Seawind 1600 review was one of the early reviews done in France,which then featured on Seawind's website. It was obvious they were blown away with the boat, after which followed several other reviews, including the 1260 done in Annapolis.

Accordingly, it is quite possible contact was made between the 1600 and 1260 reviews.
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind