Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 12:41   #1

Boat: Searching for a CAT
New Purchase Discount, does it exist?

Hi there,

I have been actively researching cats/options etc. This site has been very informative.

One thing I am not finding much, or any information on, is what kind of discount/if any to expect from a manufacturer when buying new.

If possible, any guidance on what is the relative norm or expectation would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Derick
Powerstroke NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 14:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: New Purchase Discount, does it exist?

Depends on the brand and their order book, if they have orders out for years you wont get anything. And most do have extensive orders, if you don't buy without a discount, then there will be someone along soon who will.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 14:27   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Agree with Factor. Plus, there are all the commissioning costs. Buying a boat new is way more expensive...and I've never heard of a discount for buying new, either.

Ann
Old 22-10-2020, 14:41   #4

Thanks everyone for the input, I figured there would be limited to no discount but just wanted to be sure.
Old 22-10-2020, 14:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke NC View Post
One thing I am not finding much, or any information on, is what kind of discount/if any to expect from a manufacturer when buying new.

If possible, any guidance on what is the relative norm or expectation would be appreciated.
Another question might be about negotiation on customization and tips on getting equipment and other hard provisions imported / procured in your selected foreign country...
Old 22-10-2020, 15:00   #6

Boat: Seawind 1370 Hull #40 on order

We just put down a deposit on a Seawind 1370 and can tell you with confidence that there are no discounts. Commissioning, duty, freight and other costs are significant and you need to be really good with this before you pull the trigger.

From a selfish perspective, I don't want boat companies to do discounts because it will teach buyers to expect it and reduce the resale value.

I think the best way to save money on a boat is if you are savvy is to install major items yourself rather than buy them as factory. Not all items are worth it, but paying $6,500 for window blinds or $32K for a generator is pretty crazy from the factory in my opinion.
bikekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 15:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Another question might be about negotiation on customization and tips on getting equipment and other hard provisions imported / procured in your selected foreign country...
Yes, this is something I was contemplating as well. South Africa is one option for location on a pickup for me. Do I really want to ship all my stuff over there (at what cost vs replacement locally) I will have to spend some time weighing up these options/costs....
Old 22-10-2020, 15:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikekite View Post
We just put down a deposit on a Seawind 1370 and can tell you with confidence that there are no discounts. Commissioning, duty, freight and other costs are significant and you need to be really good with this before you pull the trigger.

From a selfish perspective, I don't want boat companies to do discounts because it will teach buyers to expect it and reduce the resale value.

I think the best way to save money on a boat is if you are savvy is to install major items yourself rather than buy them as factory. Not all items are worth it, but paying $6,500 for window blinds or $32K for a generator is pretty crazy from the factory in my opinion.
Ironic you bring this up, I literally shopped new generators when I saw the 'factory option' cost and was surprised at how much the factory marks these things up.
Old 22-10-2020, 16:10   #9

Boat: Seawind 1370 Hull #40 on order

Couple other things to consider on new boat pricing:

1- Boats from South Africa are not subject to 1.5% import duty into the USA due to AGOA. Other countries are 1.5%.
2- Our contract locks in the price for base boat and all the options we select. With a delivery in 2025 (yes 2025!!), we will benefit from paying a 2020 price for a 2025 boat. For example they just increased the price of their 1600 by $100K.
3- Contract also allows us to cancel any options before build starts (approx 8 months) so there is no downside to loading it up and deciding later with the best price.
4- This may not apply to you but if you live in a high sales/use tax state with a cap (e.g. Florida), You can look at options as "tax free" because there is a cap on the maximum sales tax you would pay and thus all of the options added to the boat at the factory would result in the same tax bill. I live in Oregon so this does not apply.

The total cost and premium for a new boat is sobering but as long as your ok with it, go for it!
bikekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 18:52   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Bikekite. When we commissioned our Seawind 1160 Lite build in 2018, there was no factory discount. And this is my fourth Corsair/Seawind.

Some options I chose to do myself. But others I paid the factory option, and those were finished beautifully.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 01:35   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

While talking to a representative from one of the "big 5" manufacturers on the BOOT in Dusseldorf, i was told that there is a discount available. That was in January 2020.

A few weeks later i received an offer to buy a new boat on a 5% generall discount, plus a 2,5% extra discount if i sign contract within a specified amount of time (i think it was by end of March, have to look it up...).

I still receive Emails from manufacturers offering me eased buying requirements, such us delayed initial payments, reduced percentage of timely framed payments and so on...

So yes, there is, under certain circumstances, a possible discount. And i do not think that the boat manufacturing industry is that healthy at this time...

John
Old 23-10-2020, 04:03   #12

Bikekite you mention sales tax which is something I need to get more educated on due to the significant swings that can happen via some of the scenarios you mentioned.
Old 23-10-2020, 14:24   #13

@piscis,

The 7,5% discount, does that also count for a catamaran manufacturer?

Regards Chris
joopdjumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 15:41   #14

Boat: Catalina 425

If you go to the Annapolis show, at least in the past, dealers had signs posted offering a “show” discount. Presumably other shows had the same offer. So Yes discounts are available.
In addition you can negotiate with dealers above the show discount.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 03:32   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by joopdjumbo View Post
@piscis,

The 7,5% discount, does that also count for a catamaran manufacturer?

Regards Chris
Yes, that was from a Catamaran manufacturer. I never negotiated or did any serious talks to Monohull manufacturers. Though i really liked the new Hanse 458... Very very nice boat. But i will definitally not get my girlfriend live on a mono...

BTW, that 7,5% was an offer without me asking for it - i received it by email a couple of weeks after we talked to a representative at the Boat. I am sure, if i would have put some cash on the table, i might have get some more options for that same boat at the same price, though increasing that 7.5% a bit more...

John

Tags
purchase