Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 07:43   #1

New outremer model coming

In between the 51 and 5x :

yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 17:34   #2

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45
Re: New outremer model coming

Different boats for different people, but I can’t get excited about full time cruising on an Outremer when the galley on the 5x can’t compete against an entry level Leopard 40, Astrea 42 or Lagoon 42. From the brief interior shot you showed this boat is no different. I’m sure it will go hell, though.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 20:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Different boats for different people, but I can’t get excited about full time cruising on an Outremer when the galley on the 5x can’t compete against an entry level Leopard 40, Astrea 42 or Lagoon 42. From the brief interior shot you showed this boat is no different. I’m sure it will go hell, though.
Yes different boats for different people, some people like to sail, others not so much
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 00:45   #4
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yes different boats for different people, some people like to sail, others not so much
Some people live on their boat and sometimes dream they were rich day sailors. Anyways, can't wait to see the new model. My understanding is that they will try to fill the gap between late lagoons and outremers and I am sure there is room for success there !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:34   #5

Factor, given that you are a Seawind dealer, are you suggesting that a Seawind 1600 can't sail?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:03   #6

I started out in the Outremer camp myself, having owned high end sports cars over the years, the idea of sailing “slow” didn’t seem appealing to me. I test sailed the 51 for a day, simply awesome. Then decided it would be a good idea to go charter a few boats and talk to real cruisers before writing a million dollar check.

The real life experience of being on the water for weeks at a time and having a wife to keep happy makes the Outremer a no go. I could absolutely see if you were singlehanding or just day sailing, but to live aboard it would be miserable compared to the other options out there. I get the going fast aspect, but other than the couple of days a year you might save doing long passages for us wouldn’t be worth the sacrifice you’d pay the other 360 days a year.

There is so much more to sailing than being able to do 18 knots in 20 knots of wind, getting there can be the fun part. My last sail a couple weeks ago from Tahaa to bora bora took about 6 hours, it was glorious, not sure I would have wanted it to be only 5 hours.

The clincher was speaking with some world arc people and hearing how a 5X owner was miserable living aboard was enough for us to know that our boat will be more of a balance between comfort and performance. dont get me wrong Outremer is a gorgeous boat of the highest quality, but it’s not for everyone.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:40   #7

Ol1970- You and I should hang out. I felt compelled to respond to the OP because I am a bit angry with Outremer over this issue. I, too, would like a O51, but I recognize after sailing through 23 countries with my wife and kids the critical importance a nice galley plays in the practical life aboard. It upsets me that Outremer holds themselves out as a world boat yet continues to ignore this reality. I am certain they can find a solution without compromising performance as others are pulling it off, i.e., the aforementioned Seawind 1600, the ITA 14.99, look at the rapid growth of HH, brilliant design on the Atlantic 47. Outremer, I hope you are listening. My $1M+ deserves more.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Ol1970- You and I should hang out. I felt compelled to respond to the OP because I am a bit angry with Outremer over this issue. I, too, would like a O51, but I recognize after sailing through 23 countries with my wife and kids the critical importance a nice galley plays in the practical life aboard. It upsets me that Outremer holds themselves out as a world boat yet continues to ignore this reality. I am certain they can find a solution without compromising performance as others are pulling it off, i.e., the aforementioned Seawind 1600, the ITA 14.99, look at the rapid growth of HH, brilliant design on the Atlantic 47. Outremer, I hope you are listening. My $1M+ deserves more.
Hopefully we cross paths out there one day! I find it comical to hear people say "some people like to sail" when talking about these boats and rip other manufacturers. My questions for them are always 1) how many days at anchor have you spent more than 200 miles from home in the past two years 2) Is this actually a boat you have the means to purchase 3) have you done any competitive shopping as to the other options?

As sweet as the Outremer's are it was really telling when my wife and I were at the Cannes Yacht show doing some shopping and she doesn't know boat brands at all, but she is an awesome first mate/boat boss. We got off the Outremer 5x and stepped onto Condo Cat FP47 next. I then told her the pricing and performance differences of the two boats and she looked at me like I was crazy. I think the 47 actually beat a few O51's and 5X's this past year in the ARC as well to St. Lucia...but there is always and excuse why those results don't matter or aren't relevant. Yes there are build quality differences, just like everything else in life you can purchase. But my real world experience/data points are there isn't a meaningful difference in performance that would justify the sacrifice. Especially considering there are other luxurious performance cruising catamaran options out there.

It really comes down to happiness, do what makes YOU happy. I can tell you we got much more satisfaction and happiness making a passage through 3 meter seas into 22mph of wind on our passage to Huahine on a basic monohull charter boat than we did sailing along a bland coast line doing 15 knots on a $1.4M O51. Both fun, but then again I guess I would be classified as one who doesn't like to sail.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:29   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Not our price range ever, but love it anyway.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51   #10

Defensive much?
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 13:58   #11

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I started out in the Outremer camp myself, having owned high end sports cars over the years, the idea of sailing “slow” didn’t seem appealing to me. I test sailed the 51 for a day, simply awesome. Then decided it would be a good idea to go charter a few boats and talk to real cruisers before writing a million dollar check.

The real life experience of being on the water for weeks at a time and having a wife to keep happy makes the Outremer a no go. I could absolutely see if you were singlehanding or just day sailing, but to live aboard it would be miserable compared to the other options out there. I get the going fast aspect, but other than the couple of days a year you might save doing long passages for us wouldn’t be worth the sacrifice you’d pay the other 360 days a year.

There is so much more to sailing than being able to do 18 knots in 20 knots of wind, getting there can be the fun part. My last sail a couple weeks ago from Tahaa to bora bora took about 6 hours, it was glorious, not sure I would have wanted it to be only 5 hours.

The clincher was speaking with some world arc people and hearing how a 5X owner was miserable living aboard was enough for us to know that our boat will be more of a balance between comfort and performance. dont get me wrong Outremer is a gorgeous boat of the highest quality, but it’s not for everyone.
I agree.

After I sold my Lagoon 450, I searched for a better quality cruising catamaran or monohull. I was also looking for safety and comfort.

There are not many higher quality cruising catamarans around 45 feet. The Antares 44 is an exception, but I wanted something more modern. All 50ft catamarans were too HUGE for me.

From my current boat, Amel 50, you can guess what are my priorities. I'm very happy with her and my choice.

I hope Outremer comes up with a more cruise useable boat. There's a market there.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:11   #12

I don't think you can blame Outremer for not having a more balanced liveaboard boat. They are sold out for 2 years and command and hold their value amazingly well on the used market. It is sort of like being upset with Tesla for not making a hybrid car with an internal combustion engine so you can more comfortably drive cross county. It is not in Outremer's DNA, and that's great to have choices because what seems cramped for us is spacious for others and a minor trade off for the performance.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:25   #13

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
I don't think you can blame Outremer for not having a more balanced liveaboard boat. They are sold out for 2 years and command and hold their value amazingly well on the used market. It is sort of like being upset with Tesla for not making a hybrid car with an internal combustion engine so you can more comfortably drive cross county. It is not in Outremer's DNA, and that's great to have choices because what seems cramped for us is spacious for others and a minor trade off for the performance.
I don't blame them. I just wish they would come out with a more cruise-able performance boat. Not that I would sell my current boat for that...

I think Outremer tried for a more cruise-able cat with the 45 & 51 but they missed on some key areas, like the galley and outside helm station.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:13   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I think Outremer tried for a more cruise-able cat with the 45 & 51 but they missed on some key areas, like the galley and outside helm station.

They are not in my price range but a protected helm would be nice.
Old 13-11-2019, 03:57   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:

You'd have to factor in the production quantity; I'm guessing Outremer produces *far* fewer boats than the big three. I always thought it might be a good idea for them to design a bit tamer "cruising version" and build it in a separate wing where they could have an additional production line. Just a thought...
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, outremer