Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 13:50   #1

Boat: Moody 39
New Maverick 400

I saw the 2nd Maverick 400 launched in Cape Town last week,Looks like a real winner from a design and quality point of view.Any comments?
maverick,maverick yachts,yachts,yacht manufacturers,boat bulders
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49   #2

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
I have looked at a number of catamarans in the 38 to 44 foot size. I initially was not keen on the Maverick as it is a new boat and I was not sure if I liked the look of the design mockups. When it won the SA boat of the year I had a closer look. It looks stunning in real life, the quality of the mouldings and has to be seen to be believed. The quality of the fittings down to the stainless steel works and hinges is fantastic. My wife who is not a keen sailor but who does enjoy catamarans fell in love with the interior instantly. It has a number of really clever features. Compared to the French cats I have seen coming to Cape Town there is no comparison in build quality. I have looked through the boat in detail and have not found any shortcuts. Phil Southwell is also very enthusiastic about the boat. Judging by the order book it is going to be very successful. I am sailing on it tonight and if I am happy will be putting in an order. I do have some pictures if anybody is interested.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:21   #3
bax

Maverick 400

By all means, please do. I am sure others would like to see some photos as well!!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:08   #4

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
I do have some pictures if anybody is interested.

UHHHHH...
Yes PLEASE!!!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23   #5

Hi Attached are some pics as requested. I hope they come through OK. Any questions please feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpgs.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	8459   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom1.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	8460  

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	8461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graphic2.jpgs.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	8462  

Name:	Maverick 6.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	8463   Click image for larger version

Name:	resizeDSC00083.JPG
Views:	862
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	8464  

Name:	resizeDSC_0035.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	8465  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31   #6

Not convinced, she looks well finished, but cumbersome and heavy, wide hulls, large wetted surface , high boom = high COG, and lastly, a low bridgedeck clearance as with it seems most cats out of SA.
Ok for gentle cruising, typical of a roomaran. Not my cup of tea, but I am sure/hope will probably sell well as the builders seem to have put in a lot of effort..
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:37   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Lot of interest from posters with 2 posts. Hmmm.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00   #8

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
I'm with Ireany on this one, thanks but no thanks.
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:50   #9

I guess if your inside looking out, it's not so bad.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33   #10

Had a sail tonight, was surprised how well she went, especially as this was the first hull which is a lot heavier and stocked up to sail overseas. It is a cruising catamaran which I guess if you want a performance catamaran will not work for you. The problem if you take a slim performance boat and add cruising gear it becomes a slow boat deep in the water. The look I think is a nice change from the square lagoons. We had wind between 15 and 25 knots and did not get any bridge deck slamming even while beating. Not sure what senormechanico is trying to say, I have no affiliation with the builder, currently own a monohull which I sail in Cape Town. I have been looking at catamarans for about three years and have got a lot of information off this forum. Up until now I have not had anything of interest to post. I think it is great when builders are happy to invest in a new design instead of regenerating old designs through multitudes of evolutions.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45   #11

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
I think it is great when builders are happy to invest in a new design instead of regenerating old designs through multitudes of evolutions.
Looks like an "evolution" of Island Spirit to me!
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 13:01   #12

Only thing similar is the designer, there is a new island spirit at RCYC as well, it looks completely different. I think it is for sale you could probably find a picture on one of the yachbrokers sites. I looked at the Island spirits as well. that was a boat that was stretched from 35ft to 40ft over the years, this is a completely new design with new moulds, I am sure Phil Southwell would be able to give his view on the design. You cannot see it so clearly in the pictures but it also has the stepped hull design like the R&C 40 and 46.
Old 08-06-2009, 14:22   #13

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I wonder what she weighs empty, and what the payload is. I don't believe their statement of 6.5 tons displacement!

Chopped strand mat is used in the build, 6.5 mm glass doors, 1000liter fuel tank...... Solid bimini..

My guess is at least 8 tons empty.

A bit in the same style as a Dean, comfortable and staid boat. Build quality? Time will tell.

Sailing on Cape Town bay in 15-25 knots of wind, the waves aren't too bad. Take her out around the corner to False bay, in the same conditions, that will give you a better impression of ocean conditions.

Do you have any pictures of the stepped hulls?

What are they charging for a basic boat?

thanks

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:18   #14

Boat: Manta 40
Seems like a classic SA boat, the ability to walk around the bed and double vanity will sell boats in itself. If you haven't liked SA designs before I don't think you will ever like this one. The monster state rooms remind me of Royal Cape, i.e. Chef de Mer definitely built for entertaining and living in luxury. The low BD clearance doesn't really seem to effect the marketability of a boat if the # of low BD clearance boats in the BVI is any indicator. The people in the market for a boat like this don't need any convincing.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:17   #15
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't like the huge, protruding, fixed portlights in the topsides. Apart from the appearance (and apparent lack of ventilation), they seem as if they would be quite vulnerable to damage if tied up along a wall/mooring post during large tidal swings.

Furthermore, I note that there are no opening hatches installed in the forward end of the coachouse and, that all but two of the opening portlights are installed in the transoms - a location where they are least likely to provide ventilation and most likely to draw in exhaust fumes when under power. This apparent compromise to effective ventilation is complicated by the fact that there is no effort at providing sun-shading on the coach windows.

A safety concern is that the only side step to the top of the coachouse leads one directly over the path of the lines led aft from the mast to the cockpit. Adding to the already significant potential for injury here, I note that they have not included any handholds on the coachroof; simply put, you wouldn't catch me climbing up there when underway.

Even recognizing that this boat was designed with a bias towards dockside accomodation (and air conditioning?) rather than sailing performance, these seem to be unacceptable flaws/oversights.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote