Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 08:11   #16
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: New Lagoon 450 sports top

In reality each to their own.

I would warn if the boom is at the same height as the current L450 you will need a ladder to close the lazy bag, l have the full Bimini and use that but you won't on the L450S.

When will Lagoon listen and produce a Hardtop for the current model as l think a lot of owners would be interested.

The new model looks a lot sexier in parts, great video 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 28-07-2015, 17:00   #17

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
In reality each to their own.

I would warn if the boom is at the same height as the current L450 you will need a ladder to close the lazy bag, l have the full Bimini and use that but you won't on the L450S.

When will Lagoon listen and produce a Hardtop for the current model as l think a lot of owners would be interested.

The new model looks a lot sexier in parts, great video 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
I would expect the boom to be set at a height that complements the new "sports top" design, much the same as my L400 just a larger version. I am looking foreward to spending three days at the Sydney Boat Show this weekend, leaving tomorrow. I will have a chat to the Lagoon folk maybe a French rep will be on hand, hopefully they will have more information on the L450ST as I am quite interested as my next Catamaran. I imagine it would be safe to buy the first as the "new" L450ST has only had the upper level modified to suit folk like me, so I assume the bottom half if you like is the same as Flybridge L450, a well proven design, over 400 sold world wide as I understand. I need the choice of total weather protection which my L400 provides very well. The L450ST would be a nice size up about as big as I would be able to handle, having said that I guess the L400 really is just fine, we will see.
Regard Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 17:16   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Happy shopping Peter! Yes some line drawings from Lagoon indicate the sail plan will be lower than the standard L450 with the boom just clearing the Bimini and a slightly shorter mast. The hardtop Bimini looks good but I wonder if the sliding panel is clear. It would be nice to see the sails with it closed. Peter I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after the show comparing the Helia with the L450. Obviously they won't have a sport top 450 there but hopefully you will get a good idea from the reps of what will differ. I guess from the drawings there also won't be the lower ceiling in the cockpit to accommodate the flybridge.
At the boat show, try to keep in mind the additional area to be cleaned of the larger cat to temper your lust for a new boat
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 17:24   #19

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I would expect the boom to be set at a height that complements the new "sports top" design, much the same as my L400 just a larger version. I am looking foreward to spending three days at the Sydney Boat Show this weekend, leaving tomorrow. I will have a chat to the Lagoon folk maybe a French rep will be on hand, hopefully they will have more information on the L450ST as I am quite interested as my next Catamaran. I imagine it would be safe to buy the first as the "new" L450ST has only had the upper level modified to suit folk like me, so I assume the bottom half if you like is the same as Flybridge L450, a well proven design, over 400 sold world wide as I understand. I need the choice of total weather protection which my L400 provides very well. The L450ST would be a nice size up about as big as I would be able to handle, having said that I guess the L400 really is just fine, we will see.
Regard Peter
PETER, check out the Freeflow catamaran stand at the Boat Show. They have some interesting developments.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 18:38   #20
TOT

New Lagoon 450 sports top

Monte your dead right as cleaning is a pain 😓

Peter good luck at the show and please keep us updated.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 23-09-2015, 03:57   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us

The boom is around 3 feet lower.

For family cruising with 2 kids i do not want to be "upstairs" and the rest "downstairs". This sound like a monohull thing to me!

I want to be on one floor most of the day and with two smaller kids the flybridge was not my cup of tea.
I rather prefere a solution like the 420 or 400 or 380S2

But it´s nice to have options...

BR

Michael
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
PETER, check out the Freeflow catamaran stand at the Boat Show. They have some interesting developments.
Downunder, I love the Hull design of the Free Flow 46. Best of both worlds, some keel & prop protection, but you don't lose a ton of draft. Daggerboards for upwind!

I can't wait to see them at the Miami Show in 2017!
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 20:16   #23

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon957 View Post
Downunder, I love the Hull design of the Free Flow 46. Best of both worlds, some keel & prop protection, but you don't lose a ton of draft. Daggerboards for upwind!

I can't wait to see them at the Miami Show in 2017!
Apparently they have made some changes and it will be 47ft now.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:26   #24

Boat: Prout 45S 2009 - Zuri

I have ordered one and to answer the questions asked. The boom is lower and accessible from the coach roof. The hard top over the Bimini has windows to see the sails. We will be doing a teams Atlantic with the boat and will be posting lots of information on catamaranguru.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:00   #25

Boat: I want Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Regard Peter

Hi Peter,

take some videos / pictures
mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:14   #26

Boat: I want Lagoon 42

mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 04:54   #27

Boat: 450S

I have ordered a 450S and spent some time on the display boat at the recent Barcelona Boat show. The modified lines of the roof do look good. The hard top Bimini didn't have a window, there is the sliding hatch to gain access to the roof, however this did not afford a good view of the rig. To view the rig when on a port tack/reach I think you will need to take one step up the ladder...
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 03:41   #28

So when you are actually sailing the L450S and all those ropes are in use and no longer neatly coiled for display around the winches where will the tangle end up? The main halyard is a double length (59m!)and takes a lot of space up in the L450 Classic rope bin when the main is up. Does the L450S have a rope bin?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 15:36   #29

The L450S looks good and I can see a number of good improvements (side windows in saloon).

The 11 ropes that are all focused at the helm will be a busy tangle (one small rope bag only). The L450 Classic has three locations to operate and store the ropes. Then add a spinnaker and another 5 ropes and it will be interesting.

The operation of the port jib sheet and main sheet on a winch at the same time will not be possible. I now never leave the jib sheet on just a clutch as the forces close hauled are so massive it is close to pulling the clutch out of the roof.

Note the location of the 4th winch. An orphan only for the jib furling? And how do you do that solo keeping tension on the jib sheet by hand?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1446244533.226740.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	111934Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1446244556.793593.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	111935

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 19:41   #30
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I wouldn't worry to much about Line handling. It looks like a similar setup to the L400 and there's ample room for sheets and halyards at the helm and in the bags. Some info on that around about the 6 or 7 minute mark of this vid I think
http://youtu.be/H3BMzVrTtFI
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, ports