Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 09:09   #16

Boat: 1984 Catalina 25 SR/FK
Re: New, ignorant, but I have a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theother1 View Post
What is the dream: Be independently self supporting (i.e. no boss), live around/on clear blue water in a warm climate.
Check out the sailloot podcasts (google it) for tips and inspiration...
rdthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 09:17   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

And the other issue will be getting a Jones Act waiver for a foreign made boat chartering in the US. After that then you have to get the boat inspected and certified by the Coast Guard for whatever you are planning on doing.

Easy, isn't it?
Old 31-07-2015, 09:35   #18

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I was thinking of suggesting this too. Move to a coast, no need even to leave Ohio, lots of great sailing around Cleveland.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LOL. Good point. I always forget Ohio's on the great lakes. There's great sailing to be had in Cleveland.
Old 31-07-2015, 09:42   #19

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theother1 View Post
Autumnbreeze27: I think I will start by shortening your list to just #1; learning how to sail.
I like how you think. A wise man once told me, you know how you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.

FWIW, I had a dream too. It started on a Catalina 27 six years ago, and in 87 days and 1 hour we sail away on a 50' ketch to Mexico.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 09:52   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
If you want to sail to have fun, buy a C and C 25.

Great advice!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5264.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	106423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5275.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	106424  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5280.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	106430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5338.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	106431  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:18   #21

Keep dreaming and working towards the dream, change your plans, make adjustments as needed and as reality dictates... you will end up there somehow wherever that may be.
keep moving forward and even if you do a 180º you are still moving forward!!!!
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:25   #22

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Lots of solid advice as usual here on the CF..some naysayers too as would be expected. Here are my thoughts:
1. So you don't say how old you are or what your profession is or if you have a family. Those components might help people give you better advice. I am going to assume, though, for my advice here that you are young, single with no children, and have no commitments to stay where you are.
2. Get out of Ohio. If you want to be in the warm waters move to Florida or the USVI. Do it yesterday. Go on get going. Right now. Get a small sailboat or catamaran and live aboard it in a marina.
3. Tone down your boat dream. A Neel 45 is a $450K to $600K boat. Thats pie in the sky stuff for a greenhorn buying his first vessel.
4. In this forum you will find a section for crews wanted. Go crew on a boat. Probably won't get paid but at least you will Learn to sail.
5. Don't listen to the naysayers. You will find a way if you truly wish to.
Pura Vida man and best of luck on your dream.
Old 31-07-2015, 11:18   #23

Hi! I too have a dream like yours - and already have my boat. I thought this might be helpful - the site has layouts of various boats so you can compare. Happy hunting!Sailboatdata.com is the worlds largest sailboat database.
SeaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:39   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
in 87 days and 1 hour we sail away on a 50' ketch to Mexico.

I love it, down to the hour Huh, short timers calender's can be tough though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 15:15   #25
Marine Service Provider

If you would like some help with the learning to sail part and an opportunity to spend some time in the Caribbean, we would be happy to help you out.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 15:28   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I like how you think. A wise man once told me, you know how you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.

FWIW, I had a dream too. It started on a Catalina 27 six years ago, and in 87 days and 1 hour we sail away on a 50' ketch to Mexico.
That is what I am talking about. Congratulations on making your dream a reality!

So, look like the moderator has asked for some background on me personally. Sure.

I am not a youngster. I am 47. I have a degree in Ceramic Engineering. I am currently a low to mid level manager for a glass manufacturer, and do not make a lot of money. There was a turning point in my life; my second divorce and my son. I got the better end of that stick, full custody of my then 4 Y/O son, she got the freedom to pursue her dream of conquering the business world and is now a VP for some company. I don't even know what they do. But, I know my son loves me more than anything else in the world. Would not trade shoes with her for a minute. Because I have essentially been a single father for 7 years now, pulling down the big corporate positions (I have been a national sales manger, techincal sales manager, plant manager...you get the point) no longer appeals nearly as much as being home every night. That is a trade off, but one I would make many time over. My son and I suffer from SAD, seasonal affect disorder and typically get really depressed in the winter. Central Ohio is only behind Seattle in lack of sunlight I believe. It is just no good for he and I. We need more sunlight. Last year I stayed home and home schooled my son. He needed it. I think you guys get where my priorities are right?

My first thought was to buy a small house on an out island in the Bahamas. I could afford it, but impossible to get a job.DREAM CHANGE neccessary. So I have been searching for a way that he and I (oh and incidentally, a wonderful girlfriend that is pushing me to get a boat, a good and bad thing all at once, but later on that) to move to a sunnier climate. WHile I am at it, my thinking is that I am aging and I really do not want to be mowing two acres of land or shoveling snow or freezing my ass off anymore. When I break it down, hell I really dont need half the **** that I have accumulated. I certainly do not really need a house, I just need someplace to eat and sleep physically. I need something completely non-materialistic to sooth my soul. Coastal property in the US is NOT cheap. A liveaboard is cheaper, but I know for a fact I can't just sit in the harbor and never cruise. It would drive me nuts. You can kinda see the progression here right? So, I started reading about sailing. I am one of those guys that researches to death everything (you should see my high end vintage audio equipment collection now). The Neel 45 would be the ultimate target in my mind, but my mind is still very green. Hope that makes sense.

Most of what everybody suggested was already on the to do list. I think in advance, way in advance and plan plan plan then execute execute adjust execute. It is very nice to hear it confirmed though, and there were several things I did not know about.

Now you know where I am coming from. I want a way to provide for my family, am not really interested in being rich or powerful, am very willing to compromise and save and plan, and I feel I am a diligent, if not enthusiastic learning of all things I set my mind to (OK, some advanced physics classes kicked my ass, but I do not think sailing requires rocket science).

BTW: Nicky (my son) loves the idea of living on a boat. He does not make friends well so has nothing he is going to lose, just the opportunity to be on the water. We could home school him no problem. His IQ is through the roof!

Now I am off to plan baby step #1. I will report (infrequently I am most certain as I am slow and certain about each step) on my progress toward my dream. Thank you all for some excellent input.

-Paul

P.S. What do you all do for music on the boat? Please tell me your not using a car stereo
Theother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 15:36   #27

One last comment. When I mention this idea to people I trust (say my parents for example), they are polite but say it can't be done. Why is it I keep asking why not in my head? Why cant I live on a boat? Why can't I make money while on a boat? Why can't I move out of this state? Why do I need a house? It goes on and on.

Tell me I can't do it. Give me some more motivation. But back it up with the facts of why it can't be done though.
Old 31-07-2015, 15:42   #28

Yes, I have a car stereo.

Edit: but when I think about it, in fog and light winds last weekend my brother played a wood flute and his wife a banjo while we drifted down the river at a couple of knots.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 15:53   #29

Quote:
Yes, I have a car stereo.

Edit: but when I think about it, in fog and light winds last weekend my brother played a wood flute and his wife a banjo while we drifted down the river at a couple of knots.

Priceless!

Now, think about a real sound set-up
Old 31-07-2015, 17:06   #30

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Dreams are a great thing, hold onto it. I understand the seasonal issue. We are in central Alberta! My whole family takes vitamin D through the winter. A good dream helps you get up every morning.
A possible change up to the dream though, even just to open your mind to options:
Move someplace warmer, take some lessons(with your son and gf) buy the smallest boat you are comfortable on as a live aboard that you can still handle, and get a job for a charter company. Live the dream using their setup,and financing. Gain the experience of of their investment.
Look for sailing charters, dive groups, whale watching, snorkeling, ect. They already exist with everything you need. Let them pay you to live the dream without having to invest.
Again just an option, but could make it happen a lot sooner.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote