Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 16:45   #91
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

I agree rabbi. It's a pity the base price is so misleading. No oven, no electronics plus a ton of hidden extras. Of course the 30hp and folding props would be a requirement. As I mentioned earlier, pricing seems to be similar to the L400 after you take those I to account. Performance? Well it's in the water in La Rochelle so maybe we will see some polars, but personally I don't think they are worth the paper they're written on in most cases. I'd hoped it would be a scaled down Helia, but I think at 38 odd ft it may have been scaled just a bit too much. I notice an owners version 2 head version mentioned rather than the 3 head shown in the docs, so at least that's a good thing.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 19:26   #92

Boat: Seawind 1160 Catamaran
Re: New FP 40

A quick Look at the link and the customer interview makes me shake my head in disbelief . I was also approached with the pre order deal..... ie buy an unseen . Untested boat. But when optioned up the price delivered here into Singapore was well over USD 350k and this was with a 30k discount. Eventually made a decision to proceed with a new locally produced cat that will be better for the tropics that is about to start construction with Pickup in Jan from Vietnam.
Lagoon hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 23:56   #93

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

[QUOTE=rabbi;1849159]
Owners hull is excellent with separate head and shower though she would like to know where the washine machine is supposed to go.

I think I see a washing machine drawn in the plans, situated in front of the shower in the starboard owner's hull.
Old 17-06-2015, 02:29   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon hound View Post
Eventually made a decision to proceed with a new locally produced cat that will be better for the tropics that is about to start construction with Pickup in Jan from Vietnam.
What design?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 04:46   #95

Boat: Seawind 1160 Catamaran

Hi Factor.
PM me and will send the details. Don't won't to change the thread into FP vs others thread.
Lagoon hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 05:20   #96

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Interior design is nice but she doesn't like the light color of the veneer. She would love more round edges as the boxy design gives too many bruises. Overall the looks are IKEA style and she thinks the hard edges will look worn pretty soon.
The coffee table in the saloon is a joke for living aboard. Hopefully they have a real table option.

The Euro pricing I have seen looks in line with the 39. To me this really is a better version of the 39

The IKEA styling is more and more the norm with European boats. Everyone is comparing this to the Lagoon 39 or 400, but I see much more similarity with the new Leopard 40 , a radical departure where with much lighter colored interior and everything square-shaped with right angled edges instead of rounded, just like this one. Apparently, you do get more usable space on square tables as opposed to a round ones.

In the "confidential" plans that were released, the layout photo does show a real salon table with 6 people sitting around it, so I'm sure a real table is an option.

I do like how the shower and head compartments are separate. I've seen that on several monohulls, but not on a cat.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 05:22   #97

Re: New FP38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETNOB View Post
The Helia 44 is a nice design and its 44 feet.

Scale up the Helia 44 design to a Saba 50 and well, now you have a very nice boat.

Now scale down the Helia 44 design to a FP40 = 38 footer and you have what is called a SLOW, FAT, SHORT, DOG

This will be an anemic, slow boat and with 2x 20hp engines, the first owners will be selling them after the first year of suffering.

A few smart buyers will at least buy the 30hp engines with the folding props for the extra $6000 usd.

At $475,000 usd, a LOT of other boats are far better in price and performance
Not all of us can afford a new 44' or 50' catamaran.

Wow, so much hatred already, and it hasn't even been launched yet. Those aren't even real photos; I believe all those photos are computer generated images.
Old 17-06-2015, 05:32   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I do like how the shower and head compartments are separate. I've seen that on several monohulls, but not on a cat.
You haven't looked far, been around on the Seawind 1160 for about 10 years
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 05:53   #99
cruiser

New FP38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Not all of us can afford a new 44' or 50' catamaran.
There is currently 9 Helia 44 for sale for under $500,000 usd

Do you really want and under powered, slow FP40=38 footer x 21 wide for $475,000 usd
When you can have a really nice 44 foot long x 24 wide for a few boat bucks more?
NB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 06:06   #100

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
There is currently 9 Helia 44 for sale for under $500,000 usd

Do you really want and under power slow FP40=38 footer x 21 wide for $475,000 usd
When you can have a really nice 44 foot long x 24 wide for a few boat bucks more?
What appears to you to be under powered? The engines? It's a sailboat. Not a powerboat. For those interested in better engines, they will simply get the upgrade anyhow.

What really matters is the sail plan and this boat has one of the best sails to displacement ratios of any of the boats in the 40ish ft range.

Is it overpriced? maybe. Is a used Helia a better deal? Definitely. Is the FP40 under powered? I don't see how could anyone reach that conclusion. Explain to us what metric you are using to assert so strongly that this boat will be slow? Other than it is 38ft long, which by itself does not have any relevance to the speed of a boat; or that the boat has small engines, which is also irrelevant to those looking at the sailing performance of a sailboat.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 06:44   #101
cruiser

New FP38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
What appears to you to be under powered? The engines? It's a sailboat. Not a powerboat. For those interested in better engines, they will simply get the upgrade anyhow.

What really matters is the sail plan and this boat has one of the best sails to displacement ratios of any of the boats in the 40ish ft range.

Is it overpriced? maybe. Is a used Helia a better deal? Definitely. Is the FP40 under powered? I don't see how could anyone reach that conclusion. Explain to us what metric you are using to assert so strongly that this boat will be slow? Other than it is 38ft long, which by itself does not have any relevance to the speed of a boat; or that the boat has small engines, which is also irrelevant to those looking at the sailing performance of a sailboat.
This FP40=38 footer is designed to replace a the Mahe 36 and Lipari 41

The Mahe 36 and Lipari 41 have very slender fast hulls. 20hp standard or upgraded 30hp engines

The FP40=38 footer has fat wide slow hulls, so they can get in the island beds.

Do you really want a boat that was designed to fit more stuff inside and squeeze and Island bed in the same footprint as a Mahe 36 and Lipari 41

This is clearly a charter boat for 3 mile island hops for non sailors.

If you want to sail fast you would look at a Nautitech Open 40 that has a video showing her sailing at 18 knots, not and FP40=38 footer sailing very hard at 5 knots
Old 17-06-2015, 06:55   #102

Quote:
This FP40=38 footer is designed to replace a the Mahe 36 and Lipari 41

The Mahe 36 and Lipari 41 have very slender fast hulls. 20hp standard or upgraded 30hp engines

The FP40=38 footer has fat wide slow hulls, so they can get in the island beds.

Do you really want a boat that was designed to fit more stuff inside and squeeze and Island bed in the same footprint as a Mahe 36 and Lipari 41

This is clearly a charter boat for 3 mile island hops for none sailors.

If you want to sail fast you would look at a Nautitech Open 40 that has a video showing her sailing at 18 knots, not and FP40=38 footer sailing very hard at 5 knots
I would keep this discussion going but it is clear that you have some sort of strong emotional position against this FP40=38 boat.
Old 17-06-2015, 07:09   #103
cruiser

New FP 38

Its not a problem if someone is selling you a 38 footer and you get a 38 footer.

The problem is when someone pitches a FP40 and is really selling you a 2 foot shorter 38 footer and pitches that it has all the stuff squeezed in from a 44 footer.

We used to call this DECEPTION back in the day.
Old 17-06-2015, 07:25   #104

Re: New FP 38

Quote:
Its not a problem if someone is selling you a 38 footer and you get a 38 footer.

The problem is when someone pitches a FP40 and is really selling you a 2 foot shorter 38 footer and pitches that it has all the stuff squeezed in from a 44 footer.

We used to call this DECEPTION back in the day.
On that we do agree. Everyone has been doing that marketing gimmick for a while. The Lipari 41 is actually 39ft, the Saba 50 is 49ft, and the Helia 44 is actually 43.5. Only the Mahe is actually 36ft. The Lagoon 400 is 39ft. The L421 is 41ft and so on.

Even some of the more 'high end' brands do it. The Outremer 51 is 49ft. The Nautitech Open 40 is 39ft. The Catana 42 is 41ft. Pretty much everyone does it.

It is a deceiving marketing gimmick for sure.
Old 17-06-2015, 08:04   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You haven't looked far, been around on the Seawind 1160 for about 10 years

You may have misunderstood. I'm talking about the head being located completely separate from the shower with it's own door, so two people could use the head and shower at the same time, and both with privacy (you can see this arrangement on the Beneteau 48 & 55, Dufour 450 & 500). That's not the case with any Seawinds that I've seen.