Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2019, 06:49   #121

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: New Excess Catamaran Brand

It was during the Yachtworld video on the Lagoon 46.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 05:18   #122

Boat: I want Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I agree, We are discussing a new Cat and not just for those who find it appealing. I appreciate Boom23's input and opinions. I think maybe ausnp84 is being sensitive to an opposing veiwpoint!

Its a sad day when we are not allowed to comment unless we agree with someone or only find things appealing. I think Boom23 is owed an apology!

I personally like a few minor things about this new offering, but for the most part I don't care for it. In terms of Bluewater cruising boat to live on its a definite No-Go for me. I can't stand the helm stations, the optional convertable roof over the back is not appealing in any way. No Nav station, cooktop right next to the opening for the stairs, sink in the corner.
The cooktop next to the stairs is the thing that i saw , looks like a accident waiting to happen.!
mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 02:38   #123

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Just got onto the 12 at the Southampton Boat Show (4 cabin version) and was very impressed. Lots of space, bright and airy, helms had a really clever enclosed bimini setup that - even with it blowing 20kts on the beam - were well protected. The folding helm seats are pretty neat as well.

I’d like to have seen more worktop galley space and just how big the opening cockpit cover is, but overall definitely worth a test sail.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 03:19   #124

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
An amazing boat. Looks like about $1.6 delivered and commissioned when fully outfitted so not quite a direct comparison with the volume production folks, but not out of line with the high quality builders. They have an interesting option for $12,000 per year for a factory technician to come to the boat and do a complete maintenance review. I'm assuming anything that needs fixing is extra, but a neat idea.

I have yet to read ANYTHING about the X5’s sailing ability so will withhold judgement until I know more about that rather important aspect.

Also the aftersales care is only as good as the company - if they were to go under then you can kiss your 12k goodbye. Caveat Emptor and all that
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 06:52   #125

Boat: FP Orana 44

Do not get it.

Comparing the Excess 12 and the Lagoon 40.
Identical length, beam, draft, sail area. Displacement E12 10.3T, L40 11T. The Pulse line adds 5 sqm to the standard E12.

Excess seems to be just another layout to the Lagoons. As sporty as the L450S. The later probably a great cat, just not a sporty one.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:06   #126

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
Do not get it.

Comparing the Excess 12 and the Lagoon 40.
Identical length, beam, draft, sail area. Displacement E12 10.3T, L40 11T. The Pulse line adds 5 sqm to the standard E12.

Excess seems to be just another layout to the Lagoons. As sporty as the L450S. The later probably a great cat, just not a sporty one.
You can sport any vehicle, even a bobby car. It's about the driver not the gear ;-)
Old 21-09-2019, 10:17   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Just got onto the 12 at the Southampton Boat Show (4 cabin version) and was very impressed. Lots of space, bright and airy, helms had a really clever enclosed bimini setup that - even with it blowing 20kts on the beam - were well protected. The folding helm seats are pretty neat as well.

I’d like to have seen more worktop galley space and just how big the opening cockpit cover is, but overall definitely worth a test sail.

N
Anyone has spotted a pic of the Excess(es) showing the helm full enclosure deployed?
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 00:24   #128

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Anyone has spotted a pic of the Excess(es) showing the helm full enclosure deployed?
I didn’t get one - sorry! It looks ok tho and not too clunky...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 06:06   #129

Boat: a sailing boat

FULL enclosure?

Why enclose a place that is supposed to grant best visibility?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 08:26   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
FULL enclosure?

Why enclose a place that is supposed to grant best visibility?

b.
When heavy weather
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 08:35   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
When heavy weather

Why not stay inside then ?

It is a cat, you can drive from the bridgedeck, with a joystick.

Amazing people got this soft, to be afraid of some time outdoors. Especially today with awesome foulies available.

For a long time, I thought sailing was an outdoor activity, and then I stumbled upon cruising.

;-)

I do not think the wrapround thing there has clear view screens ???

b.
Old 22-09-2019, 09:33   #132

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Why not stay inside then ?

It is a cat, you can drive from the bridgedeck, with a joystick.

Amazing people got this soft, to be afraid of some time outdoors. Especially today with awesome foulies available.

For a long time, I thought sailing was an outdoor activity, and then I stumbled upon cruising.

;-)

I do not think the wrapround thing there has clear view screens ???

b.

I don’t know if you’re joking, but when you’re caught in a rain storm and the waves are building up, you want to be at the helm. Even if you can handle it (and for how long?), can your wife/partner handle it? Do you want them out there? I do not.

I was caught in few storms and long squalls during New Zealand crossings to the islands and it was not fun. That’s when I decided to get a complete enclosure on my ex-Lagoon 450. It made a huge difference!

Maybe you will be lucky and you’ll never encounter bad storms. Maybe that’s the target audience for this boat.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 16:46   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I don’t know if you’re joking, but when you’re caught in a rain storm and the waves are building up, you want to be at the helm. Even if you can handle it (and for how long?), can your wife/partner handle it? Do you want them out there? I do not.

I was caught in few storms and long squalls during New Zealand crossings to the islands and it was not fun. That’s when I decided to get a complete enclosure on my ex-Lagoon 450. It made a huge difference!

Maybe you will be lucky and you’ll never encounter bad storms. Maybe that’s the target audience for this boat.

But this creates a caravan out of a boat.

I mean it, if one does not enjoy getting a bit wet perhaps sailing is not for them?

Because I see that complete enclosure being neatly stowed in REAL rough going?

Not to say I stand out there in the rain for hours on end, getting cold and wet thru like a maso. No. When it gets real nasty in our small craft, I will simply hook up the windvane and let it do the hard work.

Can't see why a $$$ boat can't do the same under a 21st century B&G auto. If these autos are so bad that you will have a human rather doing the job, then why people buy APs?

Not bashing. Rather thinking aloud wondering when we swapped sports for sofas.

b.
Old 22-09-2019, 16:50   #134

I also think the one that clipped Bora Bora was sailing under full enclosure. Or maybe it only looked full on that video.

b.
Old 22-09-2019, 17:36   #135

As I have said before, sailing has become an inside sport.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran