Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2018, 02:16   #16

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)
Re: New Excess Catamaran Brand

Me as a marketing guy I am suffering for a long time of the poor marketing quality of the yachting industry. Most of the agencies have no clue about the target groups and keep copying that what works in other industries. Excess as brand name is a example for incompetence.

Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:19   #17

Boat: Beneteau

This is a funny topic considering we are on a site where million dollar toys are not wholly unusual. I think maybe many of the people owning larger yachts should never pass comment on a name which is honest in its assessment. Excess pretty much defines many of the topics on this site.

nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:25   #18

Boat: Aloha 34

I am happy to see a new marque, but with it's stupid name and lack of details, I fail to see anything to get excited about...yet.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:25   #19

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
Me as a marketing guy I am suffering for a long time of the poor marketing quality of the yachting industry. Most of the agencies have no clue about the target groups and keep copying that what works in other industries. Excess as brand name is a example for incompetence.
Really. You work in marketing and don't get that people spending big money on excessive items think they are hiding what they paid for luxury brands? So anyone I know driving a vehicle brand north of 100k wants people to know otherwise they would not have the 911 for dropping the kids off at school when any car would do.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 10:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Really. You work in marketing and don't get that people spending big money on excessive items think they are hiding what they paid for luxury brands? So anyone I know driving a vehicle brand north of 100k wants people to know otherwise they would not have the 911 for dropping the kids off at school when any car would do.
I donít get that? Keep calm buddy. But itís my pleasure to explain my point (free of charge).

One. Really wealthy people canít be lured with such a profane wording. This works only with the wannabe rich with a posing tendency. And those guys donít have the money to purchase a 1 or 2 Mio. vessel. Au contraire, you keep guys with assets in that range away. Real wealth is a subject of discretion.

Two. Really wealthy people will never buy any Beneteau product, not even a CNB. They can afford other products than mass production. Phaeton did not work for Volkswagen, not saying that this was a car for wealthy people, but already too expensive for VW.

So Beneteau has to lure the well established target groups and there is my point that this name will not work for those clients. But maybe itís still a working title.
Old 16-09-2018, 10:44   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

X sells, eXquisite X5 was already registeredand known as a eXpensive and eXclusive brand, so eXcess is the logical move to eXceed the price point...?
Old 17-09-2018, 04:37   #22
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Two. Really wealthy people will never buy any Beneteau product, not even a CNB.

Back in september 2017 Lagoon/CNB/Beneteau had already sold 16 units of the 4M+EUR Seventy 7. I think those guys know what they are doing and I believe they will be successful, again.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 04:44   #23

What I saw in the marketing spot on YT, the target market is young sporty couples - to fight the Catana's and Outremar's in the performance "budget" mass market segment and not only in the upper luxury segment (Privilege, X5, Sunreef, Gunboat, Antares), offering the whole size range.

But we will see soon.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 05:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
This is a funny topic considering we are on a site where million dollar toys are not wholly unusual. I think maybe many of the people owning larger yachts should never pass comment on a name which is honest in its assessment. Excess pretty much defines many of the topics on this site.
I wonder how large a boat has to be before you consider it "excess"? Just a guess, but I'll be it is bigger than yours...

This is kind of an unfortunate theme here... anybody with a boat bigger than mine is a rich jerk, anybody with a boat smaller than mine is a cheap bum.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 00:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I wonder how large a boat has to be before you consider it "excess"? Just a guess, but I'll be it is bigger than yours...

This is kind of an unfortunate theme here... anybody with a boat bigger than mine is a rich jerk, anybody with a boat smaller than mine is a cheap bum.
Its not about the size, the new brand will cover the whole range AFAIK.
Old 18-09-2018, 01:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Its not about the size, the new brand will cover the whole range AFAIK.
Guys, you are working hard to ignore my point. I did not say that CNB or Beneteau in general are not successful. They are doing a much better job than many others. Nevertheless I do not agree to this brand name as I am sure that other solutions would have much more potential due different reasons.

There is no need to get personal, you should keep calm and matter-of-fact. Its not about me, it`s about market mechanisms - if you like it or not, thats my playground. Over and out.
Old 18-09-2018, 02:14   #27

Hi Nelson,

Marketeers often use controversial stuff - like names - to pitch the market either to raise interest, start a discussion and do some upfront research long before a product is finally specified. You should know that as an insider.

And the outrage and discussion above shows, they are pretty good at stirring up the pot.

If it will be called XCS40..XCS50 or just X40 ... X50 or whatever - this will be revealed when introduced at the boat shows. XCS is probably only the project name. In the short video only the target group is announced and a product spectrum with no real revelations about technical specs and prices.

Time will tell.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 03:02   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hťlia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Guys, you are working hard to ignore my point. I did not say that CNB or Beneteau in general are not successful. They are doing a much better job than many others. Nevertheless I do not agree to this brand name as I am sure that other solutions would have much more potential due different reasons.

There is no need to get personal, you should keep calm and matter-of-fact. Its not about me, it`s about market mechanisms - if you like it or not, thats my playground. Over and out.
Having dealth with marketing for 25 years I am 100% with Nelson.. WV/Phaeteon example is a good one. Downgrading a brand is very easy and can bring nice return in a short term. But once you are there it's a very difficult operation to bring the brand where it was and will take years... Launching a product that is superior and premium to what they have been producing for years is not impossible but a very difficult task.
Beneteau is Beneteau , Jeanneau is Jeanneau, Lagoon is Lagoon, they are what they are. Any marketing activity related to these brands (ie, using same dealer and after sales network, same or similar work force, same concepts on boat shows, etc) would be a big hassle to overcome for a new and premium brand. To give one example , if they were offering a wine to their custtomer on boat shows, they will have to offer champagne this time.
And Excess name is not at all a good start..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 06:22   #29
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Having dealth with marketing for 25 years I am 100% with Nelson.. WV/Phaeteon example is a good one. Downgrading a brand is very easy and can bring nice return in a short term. But once you are there it's a very difficult operation to bring the brand where it was and will take years... Launching a product that is superior and premium to what they have been producing for years is not impossible but a very difficult task.
Beneteau is Beneteau , Jeanneau is Jeanneau, Lagoon is Lagoon, they are what they are. Any marketing activity related to these brands (ie, using same dealer and after sales network, same or similar work force, same concepts on boat shows, etc) would be a big hassle to overcome for a new and premium brand. To give one example , if they were offering a wine to their custtomer on boat shows, they will have to offer champagne this time.
And Excess name is not at all a good start..

Cheers

Yeloya

I don't understand. Phaeton is branded WV isn't it ? But XCS50 or whatever they call it will be branded Excess, correct ? How is WV/phaeton a good example ?

And then you seem to say Beneteau is not Lagoon. OK let's take it taht way. But then Excess is not beneteau either ? and Nelson's argument above that wealthy people would not buy Beneteau (talking of Excess) doesn't work.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 06:39   #30

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Do you think the marketing department was trying to say that this brand is about performance with "no excess" or superfluous luxury details? Excess seems like what this boat is trying to do without compared to Lagoon. Marketing will have to do a better job of conveying this message.

Matt

Tags
catamaran