Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 13:09   #76

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Sea King,

If you have saildrives already in place you may have the option of installing an electric motor directly to the saildrives. Depending on the motor and voltage the saildrive may provide just the reduction necesary without using belts and pulleys.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 14:41   #77

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Mike.......I like the idea of no 100 hr oil changes , engine or Saildrive with that RE-E-Power pods. I watced the video's on that site, and I will be paying attention to that company and their products. Plan to get in touch with them and find out more details.

RE-E-POWER
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 18:17   #78

Since someone commented recently, I thought I could comment also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Prince
The reason for 55ft is that the boat is to be used for a circumnavigation and I would like to be able to pick up souvenirs along the way.

Also 55ft gives you that extra comfort whilst sailing and gives me the room for a family one day. Would prefer to build the boat for the future than have to look into getting a bigger boat when the family has come along.

55ft also allows for friends to come and visit.
Not denying that 55 feet is fun, and if that's what you want, go for it. But I want to make certain you're aware that 40 foot cats often have 4 staterooms, therefore room for 8 people. A 36 foot cat (PDQ for instance) I believe has 3 double berths. And please remember that adding another foot to the length of a cat adds a whole lot of space.

So I just wanted to make certain you were aware that a 40-45 foot cat would leave room for your wife in your berth, your 2 kids to each have a queen bed room, and still have an open room for guests.
ceberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 18:30   #79

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Totally agree, but waterline is everything, and just 'cause it's 55 does not mean 4 stateroom's.

Our 50 fter has 1 king size fwd with walk in robe and seperate full size+ shower amidship on our side, but only one guest queensize bed/cabin aft on the other side.

Up fwd on the opposite side to our berth is the only head on board, with a sink and handheld shower for guest's, keeping the smelly stuff away from our side.

This allow's us to have an office and a workshop/storage area in the other 2 cabin area's.

Of course when we eventually sell, she can be changed to a 4 cabin layout, if market's dictate that this is the way to go..

Dave
Old 11-07-2007, 18:49   #80

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing
Mike.......I like the idea of no 100 hr oil changes , engine or Saildrive with that RE-E-Power pods. I watced the video's on that site, and I will be paying attention to that company and their products. Plan to get in touch with them and find out more details.

RE-E-POWER
One of the reason's for my 65 hp Cummin's/Komatsu choice was,

Simple Servicing. Servicing this engine is a snap. Filters, fill caps and maintenance items can all be accessed on one side of the engine, if that's important to your customers. You can expect the naturally aspirated version of the B3.3 to run 500 hours between oil and filter changes.

http://www.cummins.com/jp/pages/en/p...uction/b33.cfm

Dave
Old 27-07-2007, 02:18   #81

Boat: Currently an Achilles 24
Cat man do - thanks for the reply.

Ceberon
Cat man do has the answer. I'm after that size as the one hull is to be purely for us. i.e our cabin, heads, and office. The other hull is to have two cabins for the eventual kids and guests.

All
I might also have found a designer with some designs that I like and who is in the same country so will be easy to fully discuss all my idea's with.

Dazcat

I hope to go down to his offices within a couple of months to discuss things with him. In the mean time I will try to progress with my design some more. Things are rather hectic at the mo so things haven't progressed much.
Steven Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 14:17   #82

Check out Chris White and his Atlantic series of boats if you like the forward cockpit. The cats range is size from 48 to 57 feet. Also check out the Farrier Marine F-44. My goal in building has been to spend the least amount of time designing and building and more time sailing. A weekend and holiday project will take 10 years to build let alone designing as well. I guess we all have different priorities.
hawaiibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 19:46   #83

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Prince
when there's been a few more developments.
By that time the Lithium-Ion batteries they are testing in the busses now will be perfected.

Just you wait and see those puppies............and their price..............
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 19:53   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Sail Propulsion - Revisiting a Mast-Aft Sailing Rig

Un.........Freaking.............beliveable.

Does it work??????????

Sure sounds good.

When I win the lotto I will have that rig put on a Manta.....

HoooooWeeeeeee.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 05:55   #85

ok. Started again on the design. Dimensions are still the same but overall design has changed.

I'll update as I do work on the design. Construction is to be foam core, using resin infusion process.

I'm after peoples knowledge on how foam cores do under tropical sun especially with the hull and deck being black.

Attached are the latest pics to hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat front.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2523   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat side.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2524  

Old 21-01-2008, 10:05   #86

a bit more progress, bit stuck on how i want the bridge deck so progress is slowing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	with Bridge deck.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	2525   Click image for larger version

Name:	side profil.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2526  

Name:	stern.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2527   Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2528  

Old 22-01-2008, 05:56   #87

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Nice!! Looks really sharp!
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 18:54   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Prince View Post
ok. Started again on the design. Dimensions are still the same but overall design has changed.

I'll update as I do work on the design. Construction is to be foam core, using resin infusion process.

I'm after peoples knowledge on how foam cores do under tropical sun especially with the hull and deck being black.

Black hulls and decks?? Are you serious?
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 00:12   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Prince View Post

Are you going to build in female moulds? If so they will need to be flawless - black will show up every tiny defect (as well as being hot as hell) If you're going to build over frames or male moulds, be prepared to spend a large portion of your life (or budget) sanding and fairing.

Have you spent any time in the tropics? Black is the absolute last colour I would choose. Unless you want to be able to do barbecues straight on the deck.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 00:44   #90

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Hi Steven. I've discussed many times what boat to build with my brother who sailed a Prout for three years, and set up manufacturing in SA under licence.
First - he was totally committed to the rear set mast on the Prouts, and, by the way, Ron Underwood, ex MD at Prout and now at BroadBlue, has re-introduced that system for the BB385. Benefits are thoroughly explained elsewhere.
2 - Forward cockpit sounds good but in the forties it will be untenable. Fit a decent Autopilot with a handheld remote control and your cockpit is where you choose to sit, indoors when it's not too nice, outdoors with you crew when the sun shines.
3 - Only the bit behind the mast is comfortable in rougher seas. Berths in the bows are for marina's only.
4 - That size of boat needs rear doors in a hull for access from the sea with a fresh water shower.
5 - Try and set the main berths transverse with room to pass comfortably from the back door to saloon.
6 - The Stay sail should be permanent on that size of boat. It's the last sail working as winds rise and gives steerage way until it's time to take that down too. Thats a heavy sail cloth so maybe a lighter one too and consider how you'll take it down, reef it, as the weather deteriotes.
7 - Set a goal post frame across the stern to carry the tail of the boom, the dinghy, the clutter that's normally goes on the mast AND rear stays. By spreading them wide the mast can be much more rigidly supported, keeping forestay tension is a problem when sailing hard.
8 - Keep putting your latest thoughts forward, there's a wealth of experience from people who have actually done it. I haven't yet and I salute you for trying.