Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2013, 23:20   #16

Boat: too many
Re: New Catamarans on the Market

Camp Director G, what I found interesting in these new offerings, most all included electric propulsion has a powering choice. Things are changing for the better.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I've been hearing lately about up-and-coming catamaran builders claiming the want to address the cruiser's market, which has been left behind by the other cat builders who are designing for the charter market.

What I have not been able to get a bead on is exactly what features does a cruiser desire that a charter design does not meet? All the charter makers create an OV version for those who want it.

The only thing I can think of is the stupid double-head on the guest hull. Other than that, what do I need as a cruiser that is not in the Lagoon/FP/Leopard design?
Food for thought - between Cruisers and Charter - 2012 season - South Pacific - 5 cats lost their masts of which 4 were leopards! Charter yachts are generally built for a 5 year financial turn around for a clientele that are not necessarily sailors but will happily park their caravan on a mooring within 50 nm from base. Usually "Ikea" vessels with parts readily available and off the shelf with almost do it yourself simplicity for ultra quick turnaround. Charter vessels are generally smooth water vessels. From a boat builders perspective, my current favourite, commercially produced cat that is not specifically charter built is the Catana but that too is moving towards the charter sector as most new builds are.
Sea Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:51   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
But then my idea of "cruising" is lazily making way from one sandy beach or European village to the next. I've assumed that's the majority - at least among cat owners, but perhaps it is not.
Different people have different visions of "cruising," and the ex-charter cat might be perfect for what you describe. Others want to cross oceans, anchor out in far-away places, maybe sail to some areas where the sailing might be rougher. Just those sliding glass doors make me shudder when thinking of some offshore experiences I've had with green water sweeping across the entire boat. I can't imagine what would happen if you took a big green one in some of the typical charter cat cockpits or even many of the more cruising oriented cats. Yes, they are high off the water, but get enough wind and the breaking waves will be higher!
Old 28-04-2013, 19:57   #19

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wings View Post
Charter vessels are generally smooth water vessels. From a boat builders perspective, my current favourite, commercially produced cat that is not specifically charter built is the Catana but that too is moving towards the charter sector as most new builds are.
There is also Privilege, which was the original charter cat but I assume decided to stay a bit more up market.

Remember you can cruise most any boat fine if you are a careful. Lots of people cruise Hunters and Catalinas as well. Heck, I've seen some crazy beat up old boats on the warfs in faraway places that had just made major crossings.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote