Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 07:47   #16

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: New Autopilot for Catamaran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Just compass mode steering, no NMEA, no GPS, no Tetris-game included.

This is not a good way to go with a light catamaran. Compass tracking does not react fast enough in the conditions that are causing issues.

Far better to have GPS tracking under these circumstances, control is then based purely on XT error. Setting a WP some considerable distance away will make tracking in difficult conditions less challenging.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:21   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
This is not a good way to go with a light catamaran. Compass tracking does not react fast enough in the conditions that are causing issues.

Far better to have GPS tracking under these circumstances, control is then based purely on XT error. Setting a WP some considerable distance away will make tracking in difficult conditions less challenging.
How is GPS tracking faster than compass?

(And likely it makes a difference on type of "compass": a tri-axis gyro would be faster than a traditional analog magnetic compass.)

No expert here... in process of replacing our autopilot.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:00   #18

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I have never sailed on a cataraman (other than non AP Hobie Cats). One thing some may not realize on modern autopilots the rate sensor is the primary input. On my old RM X-5 if I rotate the fluxgate without turning the rate sensor (mounted on the power unit circuit card) the heading will not reach a new steady state value for nearly 60 seconds. Rotate the power unit and the heading will change immediately.

If you stop and think about passive rudder watercraft control, the rudder does not control the craft heading it controls the rate of change of heading. Design an AP with this the primary focus and you have a entirely new animal. The heading sensor is there simply to correct the long term integration drift error that will creep into a rate system.

As an aside on my RM Evo system, in the vane mode that AP seems to anticipate the wind shifts (put that in your artificial intelligence pipe and smoke it for a while).

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:14   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

On our cat we have a Raymarine EV-400 autopilot with the EV-1 9-axis instrument module from 2014 controlling the two rudders via their hydraulic rams. No problems at all in any of the conditions we’ve experienced so far, including intermittent high speed surfs and big waves, upwind, reaching and running.

Other than for gust response in squalls and light air upwind, the autopilot steers better than we can.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:34   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
On our cat we have a Raymarine EV-400 autopilot with the EV-1 9-axis instrument module from 2014 controlling the two rudders via their hydraulic rams. No problems at all in any of the conditions we’ve experienced so far, including intermittent high speed surfs and big waves, upwind, reaching and running.

Other than for gust response in squalls and light air upwind, the autopilot steers better than we can.

I have the same electronics but a push/pull cable system (telestar). The cable system has had slop in it since day 1. Nearly 1/8 turn before rudders start to do anything.

This causes the wheel pilot to just keep goin port or starboard.

It just incrementally turns to one direction harder and harder until I have to cut it out.

I’m going to try to get the slop out of the cable system and keep this AP to save some $$$. Otherwise I’m going to have to replace the whole steering system with hydraulic and a hydraulic AP pump.

Also thinking of getting a rudder position indicator to feed back to the AP brain.

Anyone successfully running this AP with a push/pull cable system?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:36   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

There have been CPT autopilots installed on a few lightweight performance catamarans including ours. One circumnavigated with a CPT and at times was surfing at over 18 kts.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 01:51   #22

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Thankyou all. I have much to learn about the ways pilots work.
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 04:42   #23

Boat: Lagoon 380

My boat came with Raymarine pilot and L&S hydraulic ram. 7 years later all Raymarine was changed to B&G. Especially the Autopilot was much better. Steered us round the world, also wellmannered surfing at 18-19 knots boatspeed.
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
I doubt ANY autopilot, whether on windvane mode or steering to compass, can cope with a boat which surfs intermittently - this has to do with both drive and sensor.
It's comparatively easy when the sufrfing become continuous rather than intemmittent. Henmce, under such conditions, I tend to head more downwind than if I'm on hand-steering.
Our Simrad handles it fine. I've found we need to be sailing to true wind angles when running under working sails, (ie goosewinged) but apparent wind angle when flying the spinnaker.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, catamaran