Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2020, 16:21   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Need to Haul Out or get dock where it's cold. Ideas?

Title of the thread is need to haul out or get dock.
I think deep down he knows the only real answer for real air conditioning is grid power, and that is why the title is what it is.

Look up ductless mini split AC’s for what I think you need, one for each hull. They aren’t real expensive and do a bang up job for cooling, I don’t mean for them to be permeant installs of course, just to get you through the build. Much cheaper than marine AC’s and will work on the hard.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-...-5yc1vZ1z18ggl
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 16:43   #17

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Try this place, reasonable on the hard rates for a DIY yard and RV park in Maryland 1.5hr drive from Washington DC. Can haul 25ft beam (just)

https://dennispointcampgroundmd.com/
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:03   #18

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Check out Recorcinal as an alternative to epoxy. Minimal odor. Waterproof and very hard. Have not tried it to impregnate cloth. Worth some experimenting.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 21:18   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disailor View Post
Check out Recorcinal as an alternative to epoxy. Minimal odor. Waterproof and very hard. Have not tried it to impregnate cloth. Worth some experimenting.
I've switched over to polyester for any basic interior things. The hull is thankfully, already done. Just a few little odds and ends I am having my girlfriend do in epoxy outside.

My allergy is so bad, I was using an orange, nylon bristle sanding wheel the other week to get some old caulking off. It went through the paint a tiny bit and hit 3 year old, cured epoxy. Like just nicked it. That dust got on my bare skin and I had an anaphylactic reaction. Not anaphylactic shock, but an anaphylactic allergic reaction. Prompted me to get some more serious meds (Prednisone, EpiPen) just in case I'm inadvertently exposed.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 21:21   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Title of the thread is need to haul out or get dock.
I think deep down he knows the only real answer for real air conditioning is grid power, and that is why the title is what it is.

Look up ductless mini split AC’s for what I think you need, one for each hull. They aren’t real expensive and do a bang up job for cooling, I don’t mean for them to be permeant installs of course, just to get you through the build. Much cheaper than marine AC’s and will work on the hard.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-...-5yc1vZ1z18ggl
Yes. Definitely would prefer shore power. I'm just going to see how blocking half the boat off works first.

But also, it's easier to put on a jacket than to air condition a boat. Even plugging a heater in during work for extreme cold is easier than air conditioning a whole boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 06:02   #21

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

3 years ago I saw a boater building a large cat on the hard at Reynold Marina in Green Cove Springs, FL. There is a VERY large travel lift there. Winter temperatures are cool and sometimes near freezing. Summers brutal; but, there is shore power. There are a lot of do-it-yourself boaters there in a grubby environment. Reynolds also offers in water at good rates. You tie along side a very long ex-navy pier. About 1 hour to Jacksonville airport. Holland Marine is there too and can do most repairs, but, they are not do-it-yourself. Green Cove Springs Marina is there too. I don't think their travel lift is big enough. They rate a 10 on the grubby do-it-yourself scale; but, the people are nice.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, haul out