Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2008, 19:44   #1

Boat: J 35 / Grainger 30' Tri
Need Advice on launching screecher or asy from sock?

I'm helping a friend with his grainger designed 30 foot trimaran, being not familiar with multi hulls, i was wondering how to launch an asymetrical spinaker from a sock? how do i attach the tack to the bowsprit? Thanks in advance!
Sail Dumaguete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 21:02   #2

I'd like to clarify my previous post, I'll be launching the asy from a spinaker bag placed on the pulpit.
Old 20-08-2008, 22:04   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Its worth getting a squeezer sock made, makes things much easier.

I sailed thousands of singlehanded miles regularly using a kite, which I would not have contemplated without the sock

It was the best value sail on the boat as I often left the expensive main in the boom bag and just used the cheap kite for downhill miles.

Dave
Old 20-08-2008, 22:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Dumaguete - Are you trying to figure out how to attach the tack to the bow because there is no bow hardware?

How is the forestay and jib set up now?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 20:04   #5

Thanks Dave, will look into the possibility of a squeezer sock. Though i must admit, am not familiar with one.
Old 21-08-2008, 20:14   #6

Hi Dan, what i'm trying to find out is, if there is a way to set up the kite for a hoist, without having to send someone to attached the spinaker tack to the bowsprit or is this the way its regularly done?

Allen
Old 21-08-2008, 20:37   #7

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
On my boats I often used a block up forward and lead the tack line through the block and back to the cockpit. This enabled me to set the kite in or out of a sock from further back on boat and under the lee of main. before hoisting kite I would pull tack out to bow and clew back then hoist and pop sail open by coming up to broad reach. to drop sail reverse procedure get kite in lee of main- let tack loose keep clew tight and pull down sock behind main near center of boat away from bow- this also works without sock. if main is not up better to have sock if not still better off at center of boat with good footing and near control lines then out on bow.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 20:49   #8

Thanks eyschulman! Fantastic! That's exactly what i wanted to know. Will set up that block system. Again, thanks for the advice! And hope you can help this self- confessed-former-monohull sailor in the future
Old 21-08-2008, 22:56   #9

hi eyschulman, when your flying your kite how much distance do you have between the tack and the bowsprit? i noticed that some boats have about a foot between the tack and bowsprit. thanks in advance.
Old 22-08-2008, 08:26   #10

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
When rigging the sheets, RUN THE LAZY SHEET FORWARD OF THE HEADSTAY, the other conventionally to the sheet lead or turning block. When jibing downwind (you're not using this to tack, surely?), let the active sheet go slack, allowing the clew to drift downwind, then ease the NEW, active sheet in, pulling the clew over as you make your turn.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 19:48   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dumageute - Thanks for the clarification. We have a a-sail that we trid to rig. We had been rigging it "normally" - poled far forward, braced and sheeted hard.

We wanted to rig it to the bow fitting as you describe so we rigged up a block and tackle to downhaul it.

Long story short the sail was short and swung side to sid quite a bit because the tack was quite high. I found this picture that looks promising. However to rig it we are likely back to sending someone forward again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a sail restraint.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	4797  
Old 23-08-2008, 00:35   #12

Thanks Roy for the rigging instructions on the sheet and lazy sheet, as well as the jibe maneuver (correct me if im wrong, my understanding of what you said is unlike jibing the jib , the clew will pass forward of the bow then around) and your right I'm not planning to tack using the asy.
Old 23-08-2008, 00:55   #13

Thanks for the diagram Dan, i guess thats what i was thinking of rigging but I'll be attaching the block on the bowsprit instead. I'll let you know how the asy performs, and will experiment how high the tack should be. gee, i do hope this works, its the first time i'm using a bowsprit and i hope i rigged all the supporting cables correctly, well, we'll see...
Old 23-08-2008, 05:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If the tack is high off the deck like the one in the picture (like ours) we found the spinnaker would float all over the place as we could not get enough tension on the downhaul to make it tight. The little loop around the forestay looks interesting but as you see, gybing this setup requires the spinnaker to go between the mast and the forestay or the downhaul will wrap.

Here is a picture of what roy is describing. The lazy sheet goes around the forestay. Interestingly this won't work with the picture above properly. The way you are planning to rig - in front of the forestay will make this work properly.

You can see as Roy describes the spinaker floats out in front of the forestay before the gybe and the you sheet it in on the new side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a sail rig.jpg
Views:	2250
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	4798  
Old 23-08-2008, 19:06   #15

Hi Dan, Thanks again for another fantastic picture showing clearly how to rig the sheets and advice on how high i should fly the tack. I'm still waiting for my new mainsail which should be done in 3-5 weeks, then I'll fly down to Dumaguete (I'm based in Manila) and give the boat a sail. Will try to post some pictures when i get back. btw, Is that your Maxi sloop on your avatar? Looks real sleek! cheers!