Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 21:09   #1

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Nautitech Open 46

Does anyone have pictures of the open 46 bow roller setup
I Want to fit a Mantus 65 in lieu of the standard 20kg Lewmar
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:30   #2
MHH

Boat: Nautitech, Open 46
Re: Nautitech Open 46

Attached 3 pics of the original bowroller. We have an early 2017 boat.
We use an Ultramarine 45kg and had the bow roller modified. Our Quick windlass broke around the 10th(!) anchoring. No heavy winds or workloads put on the windlass up to that point.

On the Cannes boatshow we learnt from Quick that the standard windlass on the 46 is too small - one size below their recommendation to Nautitech.

We guess with a bigger anchor comes the need for a bigger windlass or modifying it to the drum version. That's what we did.

A bigger anchor for this boat is a good idea.

Martin
PS: do you own the boat already?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow roller 1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	178788   Click image for larger version

Name:	bow roller 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	178789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bow roller 3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	178790  
MHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:35   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

FYI, my L440 with comparable windage comes with a quick 1700W which has been working great for the last 30 months. I have been successfully using the original 25kg delta over that period. I need a new one now, will probably buy a 30kg spade. 12mm chain here.

You probably know already but it's important not to stress the windlass too much and slowly come up to the anchor using your engines. Also when setting anchor I see many boats going reverse way to early, you need to let the anchor gently settle before starting to pull (very) progressively.

Steel sail, did you really exchanged your freydis for a condo ??
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:34   #4

Yes, the Freydis was badly damaged in Irma while on the hard at Nanny Cay.
The Freydis only had limited use the last 2 years and we decided to replace her with a boat that could go into a charter program. I chose the Nautitech because she looks to be on the sportier side of the charter cats.

The factory told me that a Mantus or any other anchor with a curved roll bar would be a poor fit. I left her with the standard anchor. She is on route to Tortola, left La Rochelle last Saturday.

Best Regards
Paul
Ps if the windlass is weak a few months in charter should finish it off!
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32   #5
MHH

Boat: Nautitech, Open 46

Nautitech installs Quick DP3 1500W, which I think is one size range below the 1700s mentioned by rom. We started to have problems after anchoring #4. No, we did not reverse on the windlass, nor let the windlass pull us to the anchor.

The thread in the top cover pressing on the brake ripped out. Stainless steel spindle versus bronze thread did not work - see photo. My wife typically applies the brake. Want to say: no brute force applying the brake.

We ordered a drum conversion kit which shows 20mm thread length instead of 15mm in the old piece of which only 10mm thread were used, when measuring the ripped out thread. Hope this works for us, else we have to upgrade :-(

PS: cannot upload pic due to server errors
MHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:46   #6
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH View Post
Nautitech installs Quick DP3 1500W, which I think is one size range below the 1700s mentioned by rom. We started to have problems after anchoring #4. No, we did not reverse on the windlass, nor let the windlass pull us to the anchor.

The thread in the top cover pressing on the brake ripped out. Stainless steel spindle versus bronze thread did not work - see photo. My wife typically applies the brake. Want to say: no brute force applying the brake.

We ordered a drum conversion kit which shows 20mm thread length instead of 15mm in the old piece of which only 10mm thread were used, when measuring the ripped out thread. Hope this works for us, else we have to upgrade :-(

PS: cannot upload pic due to server errors

Steel Sails, sorry for your loss, I can remember that picture you posted of your Freydis on some beach... what a beauty !
So, you say you kept the lewmar 20kg on the N46 ? that sounds a bit light to me. Hopefully you have 12mm chain and the boat will anchor in shallow water, good sand. Many cruisers here would advise you to buy a new anchor ASAP I am sure.

MHH, I just checked the email conversation I had with Quick, 3 years ago. It seems my windlass is actually 1500W, not 1700W. Model is Argo, with some specific modification per Beneteau request. And that modification seems to be in the brake system, which I have never touched. I let go and pull back the chain using the windlass motor. So easy from the fly bridge
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 14:00   #7

We have a 25kg Spade on our Nautitech Open 46. We’ve been very happy with it over the last 2 years. Always held first time, never dragged to date. We added a plastic bearing plate on the underside of the roller plate to protect when the anchor fully raised.
n46uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 15:49   #8

No problem so far with my Delta 25kg and the stock Quick windlass. Touch wood. Any anchor with a roll bar won’t fit under the crossbeam.
Cano46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 06:10   #9

We are purchasing a 2018 Open 46 and are considering replacing the stock Delta anchor with an oversized spade-style Vulcan (that would mean going to a 33kg Vulcan). Given the posts above, does anyone know if this anchor will fit in the stock bow roller setup, and if not, what modifications may be needed? Also, given the above, will the windless be adequate? Thank you in advance for any advice.
jss32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:03   #10

jss32 - The Vulcan looks similar to the Spade but you might want to compare actual measurements. Our 25kg Spade just touches the underside of the bowroller mounting with the shank lying flush to the deck. (see photo of bowroller in MHH post above), so we added the plastic bearing plate as protection.

The holding with Spade is (and your Vulcan will be) much better than the stock Delta. I've been happy with 25kg after a winter mostly at anchor in the Caribbean.

The windlass should be fine as long as you aren't hauling the boat forward onto the anchor. We always motor forward to the anchor to reduce the strain so we are only raising the anchor and chain from the bottom and not fighting wind/current etc. The 8kg weight difference is only equivalent to 4 metres of chain.

I tend to mark the spot where we dropped the anchor on my chart plotter which can help if bow man isn't clear where its lying (just one press on our B&G at the helmstations).
n46uk is offline   Reply With Quote