Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 17:41   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Multihulls with interior design in Herreshoff style...

Hi, folks !

... I suppose some of you know "Herreshoff".

Mostly we remember this name linked with Nathanael Greene Herreshoff (1848–1938). He was an American naval architect and mechanical engineer... producing undefeated America's Cup defenders between 1893-1920. Here the beautifully Westward.

In 1971, A. Sidney DeWolf Herreshoff and Rebecca Chase Herreshoff founded the Herreshoff Marine Museum to preserve and perpetuate the unique accomplishments of the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company.

In Bristol, Rhode Island even exist a broker specialized 100% in Herreshoff Yachts.

Still exists the company Herreshoff Designs, Inc under leadership of Halsey Herreshoff and Adam Langerman.

This company names as "perfect designed boats" which had been drafted from 1871 on... e.g. 37 ft. sloop Shadow and in 1880 the "The Perfect Model". The name seems programm.

End of introduction...

Actually I found an interesting multihull where the owner describes the Interior as "Herreshoff style". Here some snaps of a boat which was built more than 15 years ago in such style. - Is the owner right ?

saloon...

Navi...

galley...

I ask my self: What is this specific Herreshoff style looking like ? - Any ideas about the parameters to define it concretly ?

Tks in advance.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 18:15   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Multihulls with interior design in Herreshoff style...

What I understand of the "Herreshoff style" is white paint and varnished trim, usually including overhead beams.
This to me is more desirable than all varnished wood (too dark and too much maintenance), and all white (like living in a clorox bottle).
Old 19-09-2015, 03:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
What I understand of the "Herreshoff style" is white paint and varnished trim, usually including overhead beams.
This to me is more desirable than all varnished wood (too dark and too much maintenance), and all white (like living in a clorox bottle).
Indeed ➥ Herreshoff Style Interior in the Downeast 37 | Back Cove Yachts

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 10:35   #4

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Here are a few views of the settee part of the new interior I put in the Nicol. The meranti has nice grain so I couldn't paint it but used lighter wood for trim to blend in with the deck beams and supports. Since the whole boat was gutted and taken down to bare wood for epoxy coating there were choices about what to paint and what to make bright. I wasn't thinking Herreshoff but country cottage, the idea of using contrasts is the same. Still need to get to the cushions, the stern cab makover.....the usual long list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settee1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	109415   Click image for larger version

Name:	settee4.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	109416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	settee3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	109417  
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:25   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Cavalier, your Nicol looks great!

I spent some time on a Chris White Voyager 45. The builder had large areas of the inside topsides (if that makes sense) left bright. Since the boat was strip plank construction that left large varnish areas framed by white. Looked wonderful.

Check out photos of the boat on Chris White's website chriswhitedesigns.com under custom design then scroll to Voyager 45.

Edit: By the way, in one of those pictures is a framed painting of a small gaff rigger hanging on an aft cabin wall. That was stolen from me, and a reward is offered for the return of same, no questions asked. Thanks.
Old 19-09-2015, 14:22   #6

Thanks Mike.

Do you still have the Cross 12m ? I think Skip should look at more tris along those lines for a good all rounder instead of the racers he is drawn towards.
Old 19-09-2015, 20:09   #7

fresh designs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Yeah... I dont like the 100% wooden interior of monohulls... I call them "Mahagoni dark caves".

A nice mix of light-brightfully colours, not just only in white can make a boat looking very freshly, modern, sportive... and gives the feeling of bigger space (psychologically).

E.g. an Echo 36 Trimaran (Newick Design) with warm vanilla, wine red and wood...

A 52 ft. Trimaran (built 2003 in NZ)... accidentally another Newick Tri. :-) with white-yellow coloured wood

... pastel yellow +white... without any "wood application" on a Trimaran racer (40 Foot Crowther)

Personally I prefer such kind of design for sportive boats, e.g. Trimarans.
Old 19-09-2015, 20:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Thanks Mike.

Do you still have the Cross 12m ? I think Skip should look at more tris along those lines for a good all rounder instead of the racers he is drawn towards.
Cavalier, I am open for different directions... but pls dont come along with such "fatty" old looking boring-slow boats, e.g. this Norman Cross 48 foot (e.g. available in Canada for sales at 76 Thousand US dollars heavily overprized)...

And so it looks from inside... kind of these depressive "mahagoni caves" :-)

With such a boat I would feel toooooooooo old like 75. Cant bear that kind of design.

The only good aspect of this boat: it has an astern double cabin. I like this concept to split "sleeping" (very close to the helm/cockpit) from "living" (galley, sallon, navi) as it gives little bit "privacy". - With Tablet PC and Wifi its easy to mirror the datas onto the screen while laying in the berth. So Navi can be little bit on distance.

Old 19-09-2015, 20:44   #9

Cavalier, the only Norman Cross I liked was the 39 Foot Trimaran Aukai... but it was already sold... and the warning in the sales proposal was: Not for people taller than 6'. I need head stand under deck... so I need 1.95 meters roughly, otherwise backbone problems, muscle tentions in shoulders are guaranteed.

Aukai has a fresh interior...

And on deck she had a kind of sportive look (beside the "ugly hardtop" which I would have cut off and replaced it by a sprayhood).

Beautifully bows...

But as said, the over dimension of the hard top is destroying the beautiful lines as a "flush decker"... would have replaced it...

The boat was sold to Honolulu for charter business (since summer 2013). Sold at a low prize of under 30,000 US dollars. I suppose for a boat built in 1979 it is OK. - What a pitty this boat is only used for charter in a kite school, isnt ?
Old 20-09-2015, 01:39   #10

Skip, I know you better than that. For a Cross you need Norm's R designs(racing) or a compromise like the 12M.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plan Cover Sheet 12M.pdf (119.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 20-09-2015, 01:51   #11

Incedently red in a interior is great for the gun decks of an old man of war to reduce the shock value of blood in the scuppers but bad for seasickness. In either case blowing groceries is a likely outcome..... Earth tones such as browns and greens are less disturbing as well as the blue hues but contrast from the sea and sky is advised in boat interior color psychology.
Old 20-09-2015, 04:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Incedently red in a interior is great for the gun decks of an old man of war to reduce the shock value of blood in the scuppers but bad for seasickness. In either case blowing groceries is a likely outcome..... Earth tones such as browns and greens are less disturbing as well as the blue hues but contrast from the sea and sky is advised in boat interior color psychology.
haha.... now it is going deep in the unconciousness of a sailor's mind and soul... :-)

Indeed... that remembers me when I was a kidd in Madame Tusseau's Wax Museum in London.... they had some crucially scences setup how it looks on the canon decks during the sea battles between French and British... terrible bloody times. Yes.

Old 20-09-2015, 17:13   #13

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
Cavalier, the only Norman Cross I liked was the 39 Foot Trimaran Aukai... but it was already sold... and the warning in the sales proposal was: Not for people taller than 6'. I need head stand under deck... so I need 1.95 meters roughly, otherwise backbone problems, muscle tentions in shoulders are guaranteed.

Aukai has a fresh interior...

And on deck she had a kind of sportive look (beside the "ugly hardtop" which I would have cut off and replaced it by a sprayhood).

Beautifully bows...

But as said, the over dimension of the hard top is destroying the beautiful lines as a "flush decker"... would have replaced it...

The boat was sold to Honolulu for charter business (since summer 2013). Sold at a low prize of under 30,000 US dollars. I suppose for a boat built in 1979 it is OK. - What a pitty this boat is only used for charter in a kite school, isnt ?
Ugly hardtop.

Simply different personal view. Others particually someone from the tropics would see it as one of the good practical features of the vessel.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, interior, multihull