Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 08:48   #16

Boat: In Between Boats
Re: Multihulls on the Thorny Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I also would think that production builders would generaly build for the prospective buyers perception of what they want, compared to custom build's where the owner know's what they want, and can't get it in a production boat.

I have sailed on a few custom cat's that will outpoint even the best of monohulls

Dave
I am betting that powercat can point right into the wind!
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 13:08   #17

Boat: Manta 42

I have raced and cruised large mono's most of my life and have been living aboard a 42 ft cat for the last 3 years. We did the thorny path on our cat last year and have spent the last season in the Caribbean. To me it's a simple function of speed and comfort. On the average cruising mono's IMO, the motion is easier and not as pronounced given the same sea state. Cats in general have a much different motion going to weather in heavy/choppy seas, If you crack off 15 degrees (may vary by cat), motion is much easier, but much greater distance to cover, and as we come off the wind that few degrees, our speed becomes much more consistent and I believe slightly higher, as we are no longer pounding into it. All of this assumes that you have done the proper waiting around for the appropriate weather window routine.

Plain and simple, going to weather stinks. If you do the thorny, you will be going into it, or waiting to go into for months. I would get south in the Bahamas, below Georgetown and then wait for a "norther" and go offshore, Route 66, 5-days and be done with it.

Oh, and one more thing, you still are really going to weather until you get St Lucia, after that you get to see what its like to sail in the trades off the wind!

Marty
S/V True Colors
Currently St George's Anchorage, Grenada
Enjoying Carnival

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 21:55   #18

All my cruising experience has been on mono's and I am looking to buy a Cat next. From what I read there seems to be 2 different types of cats, and they are Very different

1. The most common; built cheaper without dagger boards, wider hulls for load carrying ability and more cabin both for and aft for the charter market with space and comfort the main concern, these heavy cats do not sail well and use their motors a lot, but hey they are still cats and very comfortable on the hook which is where everyone ends up most of the time anyway.

2. Performance cats; usually with daggerboards, low windage cabns, and long slender hulls
these cats are built to sail but do not offer as much interiour space and luxury.
I am supprised how few people choose these types of Cats, Hey, they still have heaps of room and comfort compared to a Mono. The best thing about any Cat is how it rides at anchor.
C-man77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 15:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Which mono against which cat , against what kind of weather and more importantly against what kind of sea ? If we compare recent charter cats against recent charter monos (ie. Lagoon, FP, Leopards against Jeanneau, Benetteau, Hanse, etc) of same LOA, same kind of dacron charter sails and the with the level of skipper skill, on flat water and winds above 10 kts true, the cats will always win in every wind direction.
With lighter winds and choppy seas, the monos will start to prevail. Cats hate beating against waves not against winds.
The same comparison with faster monos (X yacht, Dehler, etc) against Catana, Outremer, Lerouge designs, etc. will be the same with the exception that these cats with dagger boards will go equally good in lighter winds and flat see. Choppy sea can change again the equation against cats.
To finish, the skipper of Gunboat 62 that I had the opportunity to sail on board had said that he was never beaten in any race by a mono with a shorter LOA, including the Volvo 60.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 16:56   #20

To finish, the skipper of Gunboat 62 that I had the opportunity to sail on board had said that he was never beaten in any race by a mono with a shorter LOA, including the Volvo 60.

Cheers

Yeloya[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply,

I was trying to avoid the Cat vs Mono debate, I have already settled on a cat.

I should start a new thread Cat vs Cat...

Anyway, lucky you to sail the fabled Gunboat........what a treat!

Was it Cucu Belle? I heard it sold pretty cheap in Australia now being something like 13 years old?
Old 13-08-2015, 13:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post

I was trying to avoid the Cat vs Mono debate, I have already settled on a cat.

I should start a new thread Cat vs Cat...

Anyway, lucky you to sail the fabled Gunboat........what a treat!

Was it Cucu Belle? I heard it sold pretty cheap in Australia now being something like 13 years old?
No, this was Zenyatta..By the way, how much is required for Cucu belle ?
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 15:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
No, this was Zenyatta..By the way, how much is required for Cucu belle ?
Cheers
Yeloya
they were asking 1.5 not sure what they got but it sold quickly

stunning boat

Is gunboat the only ones building Carbon hulls?

C-man
Old 13-08-2015, 16:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post

Is gunboat the only ones building Carbon hulls?

C-man
Not even close. MC2 is using carbon, M&M, Allures, HH, Sunreef.... A lot of cat builders are switching. The cost per boat is high, but it buys back a huge amount of carrying capacity which for cats is a major limitation.

Figure a 40' cat is going to be very roughly $70-80,000 more expensive in carbon fiber than fiberglass... So you pay, but it isn't millions.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 17:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Not even close. MC2 is using carbon, M&M, Allures, HH, Sunreef.... A lot of cat builders are switching. The cost per boat is high, but it buys back a huge amount of carrying capacity which for cats is a major limitation.

Figure a 40' cat is going to be very roughly $70-80,000 more expensive in carbon fiber than fiberglass... So you pay, but it isn't millions.

seems like most of the carbon hulls are all 55' plus and very expensive any smaller ones?

besides being lighter and stronger how does carbon last compared to GRP

C-man