Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2022, 03:26   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Multihull Market Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
monohull went down in general but real blue water cruisers mono still selling very well.

cat is an absolute sellers market and you get above asking price.
cat market went up 30% or more and every cat sells, even the shittiest lemon above 35ft.
Laggon just raise prices the 3rd time, all together approx 35%...others followed.
I bought my Lavezzi for 155k I was May 2021 and made a proper Osmosis treatment. got 2 offers on mine for 260kEuro and 270kEuro without being on the market to sell. Refused because I know what I have...most properly the best Lavezzi due to Pantaenius.
Monohulls are flying off yet shelves and prices have climbed
Old 03-09-2022, 05:49   #17
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Monohulls are flying off yet shelves and prices have climbed

Correct. There seems to be a great degree of wishful thinking here. The trend is prices are up and sales are going well , there’s speculation that this trend may bottom out but as yet no evidence can de discerned of this happening
Old 03-09-2022, 08:09   #18

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
Uniopp - "My instinct tells me the*purchase*price*should always be less than the last time it*sold, what do you think?"

"Always" is the death of the question.

Prices fluctuate constantly and circumstances differ. The same boat differs ⅓ in price between Europe and USA - in one basic factor.

The $400k is the listed price, in preparation for a lower offer that could come in on $350k.

Prices do not always go down. And when they go up, it could be exponentially. Some antique prices defies logic.

The advise to wait, is as dicey as it gets. I don't see a depreciating 'asset' such as a boat worth waiting for. It is a dream life with great ups and lows. Dreams and hobbies cost money. It is not investments. If you can afford it, do it.

Tomorrow is not promised.

Since price does not always come down, take a chance on happiness now.
Good advice

one I have to disagree, if you are 100% liveaboard you have about the same cost or less then stationary on land. then it's not a hobby. you live your dream with the up and downs that this live brings.

remember there is a lot truth in both well known statements:
1) sailing around the world means repair your boat in the world most beautiful spots in the world...and sometimes in the biggest shithole with no supply
2) The happiest days of a boat owner are the day she/he bought the boat and the day she/ he sold it.

so be prepared for that
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:02   #19
Nearly an old salt

Currently boats around me are largely making asking price , with little dis counting , a mobo went for a high asking price the other day
Old 05-09-2022, 09:09   #20

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Very nice custom Marples trimaran for sale. Looks like the current price is far below the original asking price. Brokered by East Coast Yacht Sales. I think the original price was 365k

Rumor has it the owner is eager to sell. Current price is 225k.

Quick search brings it up on yacht world. Too many pics and video to paste here.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Boat prices in the last two years came down %20 in US dollars in Europe because of the conversion rates.
We have followed currency prices and mono hull prices closely for the last 3-4 years and while the USD strengthened by 20% or more (depending on currency and time frame) inflation has absorbed most of that. Wait times for monos from the manufactures we have looked at are anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 16:29   #22

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone. What is the outlook for 2023 and cat prices? Have we begun to see a decline? Thanks
BG305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 17:45   #23

Boat: Lagoon 380

Our friend just sold his Lagoon 450F in a couple of days for more than asking and had several buyers lined up.

Looking at the list Gary Fretz puts out most are selling slightly below ask, but many are selling at ask and the more desirable are selling over ask.

http://www.largecatamaransforsale.co...ember-2022.pdf
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 17:50   #24

How does anyone know the true price of things sold privately?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 17:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniopp View Post
Between 2017 and now, have used multihull prices gone up?

If a 2006 (non production) multihull sold in 2017 for $350,000 and has not been upgraded in anyway (except for general maintenance), would the market price be higher now (in 2022)?

My instinct tells me the purchase price should always be less than the last time it sold, what do you think?

Has the pandemic sent things upwards (higher demand / lack of supply)?

The reason I’m asking the above is that a particular multihull sold for $350,000 in 2017 and the new owner is now asking $400,000 in 2022.

Thanks
Ever hear of INFLATION?
Old 15-01-2023, 17:56   #26

Production boat priced are greatly influenced by price of crude oil. Most boats and sails are made of it.
Old 21-01-2023, 10:34   #27

Boat: Privilege 435

I think the prices will take a couple of years to come down. Getting a new cat is a couple year wait for most yards, so I’m not sure the interest rates will drop demand enough to compensate.

Last year our broker said he would have 3 offers in 30 minutes for more than we bought in 2016. I assume the market has cooled a bit, but don’t have any recent info. Best to contact the Multihull Company and ask them about market trends.
Old 21-01-2023, 13:47   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Demand may be a bit reduced, but overall inflation and manufacturer's price increases will offset this.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 17:52   #29

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Do this certainly, but understand the market is driven by supply and demand. We recently sold our 45’ cat and can testify to what’s been happening, however today I saw many more cat listings than over the last year, and prices lessening in light of the numbers of (at least some boat manufacturers) coming to market. Ours is one for which numbers and prices are lower than in May/June. My suggestion: wait.
Since my post in August it’s only gotten worse due to supply chain issues, and the big 3 announcing @7% price hikes in January. A new boat will make you wait 3 years, so if you find something you want, buy it if you can. In our case the prices on used 2016 - 2018 are equaling or going beyond what was paid. Supply vs Demand. Rates went up, and I retired last February, so carrying a huge loan is not my idea of a good time.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 20:12   #30

Back in the the high inflation years of the 1970’s and 1980’s if you bought a new boat, the salesman would tell you that you could sell it in five years for what you paid for it - and he was right.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull, price