Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2022, 03:11   #1

Multihull Market Prices

Between 2017 and now, have used multihull prices gone up?

If a 2006 (non production) multihull sold in 2017 for $350,000 and has not been upgraded in anyway (except for general maintenance), would the market price be higher now (in 2022)?

My instinct tells me the purchase price should always be less than the last time it sold, what do you think?

Has the pandemic sent things upwards (higher demand / lack of supply)?

The reason I’m asking the above is that a particular multihull sold for $350,000 in 2017 and the new owner is now asking $400,000 in 2022.

Thanks
uniopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 04:47   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Multihull Market Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniopp View Post

Thanks

Yes, as discussed any times over.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 04:50   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Multihull Market Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniopp View Post
Between 2017 and now, have used multihull prices gone up?

If a 2006 (non production) multihull sold in 2017 for $350,000 and has not been upgraded in anyway (except for general maintenance), would the market price be higher now (in 2022)?

My instinct tells me the purchase price should always be less than the last time it sold, what do you think?

The reason I’m asking the above is that a particular multihull sold for $350,000 in 2017 and the new owner is now asking $400,000 in 2022.

Thanks

If being sold by a broker ask them for a list of recent comps.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 17:14   #4

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If being sold by a broker ask them for a list of recent comps.
Do this certainly, but understand the market is driven by supply and demand. We recently sold our 45’ cat and can testify to what’s been happening, however today I saw many more cat listings than over the last year, and prices lessening in light of the numbers of (at least some boat manufacturers) coming to market. Ours is one for which numbers and prices are lower than in May/June. My suggestion: wait.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 22:12   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

The world is in a wierd place at the moment. There are world wide shortages of materials, so price of new boats unlikely to come down. Thus people who really want a boat soon will look at used market and keep prices up through demand. Conversely inflation and interest rates may force some to sell and so there may be some liquidation bargains, but you really need to be in the know when these pop up. Between these two economic forces is the reality that a lot of people are looking to explore the dream of retiring early and sailing off into the sunset (on a preferred catamaran), more so now than ever before probably with pent up demand post covid peak. Local ex charter markets around eastern med might have some bargains if you are willing to chance your arm buying something there at the moment. I guess the odds would favor waiting patiently for things to change, save some more money etc, wait for the corrections in the stock market if you have those sorts of assets to sell, and then you may get something more perfect, but time is big the variable. If you are 55+ and want to get going, just do it before your weary body can not handle an ocean crossing for the first time or some disease restricts you first. The waiting game is for mugs trying to nickle and dime the ultimate voyage of a lifetime.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 23:17   #6

Boat: LAGOON 400

yeah, spare parts for yanmar gone up 50+ % in 3 years or so. Actually any spare part that i purcahsed recently was up considerably/significantly. If new parts are so are used ones. And boat is made of these parts and of course labour. With people sick, immigration with 2 week diplomas in anything replacing skilled workers, i would not want new boat.

I also suggest not to wait unless you expect property crash and people will sell boats first (likely). Most likely another stimulus in shape of millions of migrants will solve that issue. So yeah, it is what it is. Unless we get black swan event, then ... you better have boat ready.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 08:12   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

In response to the “wait or no wait,” it all all depends on your situation and HOW LONG you wait. I certainly don’t advocate waiting a year or more, but even at 68 I don’t feel I’ve risked much waiting 3 months, and we’re actually planning for our next purchase sometime in this coming fall/winter season. We also sold at a high that has now dropped along with quite a few boats like ours on the market now instead of the 2 when we sold.
Just figure out what you can afford and get it as soon as you feel comfortable. It helps that we have a broker looking and checking in constantly.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 18:48   #8

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Lagoon raised the new price of 30% in last 2 years.
Cat market is dry like Sahara. I purchase my 2005 Lavezzi for 155k in may last year, done a proper Osmose treatment for 25k plus 20k upgrades got an offer on it for 265k but didn’t sell because I know what I have now…
So if the price is just up from 350k to 400k that’s a very good deal from the price upgrade.
BUT:
2006 means cat is 16 years, so when did the cat get its refit that’s normally after 10-12 years need.
and since 5 years just maintained means electronics are old, sails&rigg is most likely old….so factor another 25% minimum on top of sales Price for repairs and upgrades. How does this compare to what sales price you find on platforms?
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 13:41   #9

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

I was recently approached by the person who sold us our boat and was all but guaranteed that he could sell it in less than 30 days for about 45% more than what I paid for it new in 2019. I have little doubt that he was telling the truth as another owner of the same model boat recently sold his for more than 50% more than he paid for it. Of course this included tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in upgrades, but nonetheless, the price he got more than covered those costs and more.

I see the market softening a bit now, but I have no doubt that I can still get more for my boat than I have in it, including upgrades, at least for the foreseeable future. I chalk it up to supply and demand generated by extremely long factory lead times, and inflation. Most of the worlds currencies just don't have the buying power that they once did.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:45   #10

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Boat prices in the last two years came down %20 in US dollars in Europe because of the conversion rates.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:15   #11

Boat: Gemini 105mc

Are boats really still selling at super high prices?

This was the case during the pandemic and even last year. But now with higher interest rates and talk of inflation+recession all over the place, I would think things would have slowed down.
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 14:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Boat prices in the last two years came down %20 in US dollars in Europe because of the conversion rates.
monohull went down in general but real blue water cruisers mono still selling very well.

cat is an absolute sellers market and you get above asking price.
cat market went up 30% or more and every cat sells, even the shittiest lemon above 35ft.
Laggon just raise prices the 3rd time, all together approx 35%...others followed.
I bought my Lavezzi for 155k I was May 2021 and made a proper Osmosis treatment. got 2 offers on mine for 260kEuro and 270kEuro without being on the market to sell. Refused because I know what I have...most properly the best Lavezzi due to Pantaenius.
Old 02-09-2022, 14:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerme View Post
Are boats really still selling at super high prices?

This was the case during the pandemic and even last year. But now with higher interest rates and talk of inflation+recession all over the place, I would think things would have slowed down.
people sell their homes as they cannot afford the energy costs anymore and private houses market will fall significantly. All my rich friends selling all their investment appartments and houses in Europe except top locations and Switzerland. And even 10-20% below market price nobody wanna buy them.
the gas costs alone raised from 100Euro to 600Euro a month since since beginning of the year for a 3 room 60sqm appartment that costs between 700 and 1200 rent per month depending on location. plus other raising costs. Due to Musk starlink and Covid work from home a huge number of people can work from anywhere. so you don't need to freeze your ass of in Germany because you have no gas in winter...much better work from your cat in the Caribbean because you can. Or RV still in very high demand too.
and if the **** hits the fan with Putin you are as far away as you can with your floating home.
have 10 friends who actually just done or i the process doing this right now...if your job is IT or IT related you can dictate your conditions to your company. 2 negotiated a hiring bonus for switching used as first down-payment on their cat.
Old 02-09-2022, 23:07   #14

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Uniopp - "My instinct tells me the*purchase*price*should always be less than the last time it*sold, what do you think?"

"Always" is the death of the question.

Prices fluctuate constantly and circumstances differ. The same boat differs ⅓ in price between Europe and USA - in one basic factor.

The $400k is the listed price, in preparation for a lower offer that could come in on $350k.

Prices do not always go down. And when they go up, it could be exponentially. Some antique prices defies logic.

The advise to wait, is as dicey as it gets. I don't see a depreciating 'asset' such as a boat worth waiting for. It is a dream life with great ups and lows. Dreams and hobbies cost money. It is not investments. If you can afford it, do it.

Tomorrow is not promised.

Since price does not always come down, take a chance on happiness now.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:24   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

All I know based on offer prices and sales is if I put my boat on the market I’d get 25-30% more then 2020.

Tags
hull, multihull, price