Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 09:05   #16

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Re: Multihull haul outs and boatyard facilities.....

Sorry. Missed the "no tide areas." No tide never occurred to me.......

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:33   #17

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Here in Southern CA. the beam of 23' + gives a handful of yards the only choice. They charge accordingly. I have hauled twice by crane. The first time I watched in horror as they dropped my cat in an asphalt area from about 5'. Cost and availability for slips here is again, a concern. There are very few slips and typically an end or side tie will be the only accommodation offered. A 42' cat on the low end runs $1,000 a month, (mine is $1,500) and most require a substantial wait list, ( I waited 9 years ). With that said, things are changing here and immediate availability in San Diego and Los Angeles are becoming possible.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:42   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

there's a reason we bought a 41 ft. catamaran with an 18 ft. beam and three foot draft....
Old 28-04-2015, 14:46   #19

I use a couple of air bags to raise the main hull of my tri to clean the bottom while beached
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:34   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

My FP has a 28 foot beam. You are correct. Your options get quite limited. Maybe 10% of haul out facilities can get my boat on the hard.

Once you go through the panama canal west bound your options get even more limited. I only know of one in Papeete Tahiti. But there was no bottom paint on the island. Next option for me was Mackay Australia. The haul out is 30 foot wide. Tight squeeze. I am currently on the hard in the yard there.

If you keep it to 25 foot or under you have many more options.

Good luck and get sailing!

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:37   #21

Thanks Mike. Good info........

Old 28-04-2015, 16:04   #22

Boat: Outremer 50S

For the question on remote areas, most areas with some level of development have a crane that can be used for haulout. I've even seen it done with a crane on a ship that was in port. Picked up the vessel that needed a haulout, set it on the wharf. Didn't ever see it go back in, imagine they had to sweet talk yet another ship's engineer. Always a good idea to at least know where and how your boat can be strapped/connected for a crane lift, cranes and other construction equipment are probably the most ubiquitous options in out of the way places.

For in the water work, we always carry a couple of very large truck tire innertubes. Uninflated they are pretty small and light. When I want to get a float (trimaran here) out of the water I pull the tubes under the hull to be lifted, then inflate them with a little 12V compressor. I can get one of our floats out of the water by 4-6" at the lowest point (not nearly the flotation required to lift a cat hull). We've even used them to get the stern of the main hull out of the water enough to be able to drop the rudder. Tucked the tube under the hull (between the prop shaft, strut, and main hull) and inflated. Raised the stern fully out of the water. A couple of straps to either side kept the tube from moving, but once it is inflated there isn't much chance that it can.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 07:11   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 Cat Robertson & Caine

Hi all,

About the Catamaran Haul-Out Marinas, for those sailing in Europe, specially in Netherlands, we are using for our Leopard 40 catamaran (beam 6,15m) the travellift (50 tons broad=> 6.35m) at Marina Numansdorp (Zuid Holland 51°43',198N - 004°25',065E - Veerweg, 7 NL 3281 LX Numansdorp) with Rexwinkel Yachtwerf (Jachtwerf Rexwinkel Numansdorp)
M.Fr.Gr. Tom.
Chagalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 10:55   #24

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

w32honu,

If you are considering a multihull, you are wise to look into this.

You give the impression that you might be cruising "far and wide" by your post.

If you are not convinced, however, that you will be a world-wide cruiser there are a number of catamarans that have modest beams and will enable you to find service and hauling within your cruising area.

My immediate and main plans when purchasing our catamaran were for coastal cruising around Long Island, with far off dreams of maybe Florida and the Bahamas some day.

My immediate plans have been successfully realized -- plenty of coastal cruising and 15' 9" beam gets me in a slip and hauling on Great South Bay.

I once read something like 'buy a boat for what you can to do with it now, not what you plan to do with it later.' That has certainly enabled me to enjoy the benefits of owning and sailing a small catamaran.

Marshall
Old 30-04-2015, 11:14   #25

Tx Marshall. Considering trading our cruising mono for a cruising tri.

All of our boats have been kept rugged and simple so to be a useful cruising boat far or near. I figure that wont change regardless the number of hulls.

Old 30-04-2015, 11:47   #26

Maybe i can through this out to the forum.

Givin your own experience. Is there a maximum beam that you would not exceed?

If so.... What is it?

Tx

Old 30-04-2015, 14:02   #27

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Look into the folding trimarans and that should help solve your problem, except you will probably end up with less room than your present boat.

If you are looking into a standard tri, well that is something else.

Good luck.

Marshall
Old 01-05-2015, 06:23   #28

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckely View Post
2Hulls,
Port Annapolis added a new travel lift that they say can accommodate our 22" beam. Not known to be cheap but could be an option for a Northern Chesapeake haul out.

Mark
Hi Mark - I recently heard Port Annapolis has new hauling capability for beams ups to 26 feet. I'll visit there on one of my frequent trips to Annapolis. But knowing how expensive anyplace with an Annapolis address can be it'll be hard to beat where I've been hauling for several years - Dennis Point Marina in Drayden, MD. - and Dennis Pt will haul my boat by the chainplates, the preferred method for Catanas. Other yards with the width capacity have not been willing to haul this way.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:41   #29

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

In San Diego there are three yards, using Travelifts, that can haul my 24' beam trimaran. The advantage of a yard is that we can then limit the pollution we might transmit to the shore or mudflats. It's a lot easier to work on "the hard" than to try and put ladders and rubber boots in mud.

When I built my boat, many years ago, I coated everything below the waterline with epoxy/graphite powder to make it more abrasion resistant should I want to do a primitive area haulout. Though I have beached my boat many times, intentionally, on selected places in San Diego Bay, I've never done any serious work on the hulls.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, hull, multihull