Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 17:16   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Multihull for first boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
SNIP

My boat does not have outhauls,

SNIP
What kinda boat is that?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 17:32   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
What kinda boat is that?

Kinda outhaul-less one ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 17:52   #48

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Quote:
I think you could be misjudging this guy. I have read his post and I think I am getting his angle.

My boat does not have outhauls, cunninghams nor travelers. Now what? I am a bad sailor?

Btw mr. good sailor: cunninghams are not required on a cruising boat. Think about this for a moment. While our sail here has the grommet, I never use it too. Why?

barnakiel
Last time I looked we were talking about sailing! It doesn't matter what is required on a sail boat what matters is do you now how to sail? I don't know if you know how to sail but why you are taking it personal?
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:15   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Read his post again. He has no idea about proper sailing or balancing a boat. Regardless of the boat type main is the first sail to go up and the last sail to come down under normal conditions. Unless sailing between 140-180 downwind you are running a cruising chute like a code zero and a jib wing on wing. But most people don't learn/know how to properly sail and lazy and don't even know how to use a outhaul, cunningham, travelers etc...

I would say that Mr. B is doing his kind of sailing which is probably very safe but definitely not taking full advantage of the Gemini’s sailing abilities.
A well sailed Gemini with both main and jib set will sail much more than 1kt. Faster than a Gemini with just the jib.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:42   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Last time I looked we were talking about sailing! It doesn't matter what is required on a sail boat what matters is do you now how to sail? I don't know if you know how to sail but why you are taking it personal?

C'mon.

I take back my words then. I swallow them. I did not want to sound 'personal'. I am not a native speaker. Where I grew up, we were brought up 'tough'. Not necessarily civilized, in the English meaning of this word. Imagine a big black Nigerian: we talk loud and live large. This is where our masculinity finds its best expression. But we are soft at heart indeed, just what you hear when you ask any suburban youth about their misbehaving Stafford.

I speak some other languages and each has its own boundaries on what is funny, permissible or no longer so. And I did notice at CF some of my language is found offensive, when I never meant to offend; much as I tried to express what I was saying in a colorful, dramatic even, manner. Social Media is full of such fake drama. Drama 'sells' the posts.

So, I ask, wait: I BEG you, PLS disregard my earlier post, and let's return to sailing.

Exactly.

Like - why is a cunningham not required in a cruising sail?

barnakiel
Old 31-07-2020, 18:43   #51

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Kinda outhaul-less one ...

b.
You really need a better answer than that. Without pix it did not happen.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:47   #52

Because there are no measurement marks on the cruising mast.

barnakiel
Old 31-07-2020, 19:11   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
You really need a better answer than that. Without pix it did not happen.

A cruising boat, a short boom, a mainsail that sits in the grove of the boom. The clew fixed (tied) at the clew. NO, I repeat, NO flattening panel at the foot.

The sail kept neither very flat not too deep when fully hoisted. Clew fixed in place. No need for any adjustments once the neutral happy medium found.

Tension along the foot when reefed regulated by adjustments with clew reef lines.

It is predominantly while reefed that a cruising sail needs flattening, not when it is fully hoisted.

If you have a racing pedigree, like me, then you may disagree. But for 99% of cruising boats this is all that is required.

Do you truly believe people know how to use the outhauls ???

Imho hardly anybody does. Just look at some simpler and more obvious signs - sail twist, traveler work, hell angle.

I will go even one step further and risk getting lynched here and I will state that vast majority of boats we sail by in the Caribbean do not even know how much main to let out when sailing on the beam reach, nor do they know how to trim the genoa / main combination. They have heard about Venturi. But they tend to mix it all up with Martini.

Italian names, who would pronounce them!

Boat owners and cruisers are horrible sailors. racers are good sailors, but there are very very few racers out there doing it. Most race the cans on the weekend and then go to the bar to celebrate their victories.

barnakiel
Old 31-07-2020, 21:22   #54

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
Sounds like you’re having a blast with your Gemini, Brian. You mentioned that you essentially use only your Genoa sail now.

“I only use my 150 Genoa now, Which is fully operated from the cockpit...”

So even in ideal sailing conditions you don’t raise the main? I’m just asking because I’m a beginner. Does having a Genoa up with no main create an extra turning force that would have otherwise been balanced by the mainsail?

I realize that in high wind and stormy conditions you need to reef the main (or bring it down altogether) and furl the jib / Genoa. Just asking if you would go with only your Genoa in ideal conditions. Thanks!
At the time, I was learning how to sail, And then to sail my Cat, From Scratch,
With hundreds of miles in a straight line or there abouts,
That trip was 3000 Nmiles, Yep, I learnt to sail,

Whether it was right, wrong or otherwise, I dont care either,
All my ropes, Are Ropes, I dont care about the technical terms for them either,
My boat gets me where I want to go,

I tried my Main sail and my Genoa in every position possible in all kinds of wind strengths,
Using the GPS for speed,
I got one knot extra speed with the main up,

As a cruiser, One knot means nothing to me, I will get there when I get there,
Today, Next week or next month,
I dont care, Im not a racer,
Running out of food in the middle of an ocean is my only concern, Or ciggys and coffee,

When I got home, I took my Genoa in to have it restitched, The thread had perished,
Black thread is better than white thread due to UV deterioration,
Sail makers advice,

I was asking the Sailmaker about my sailing with only the Genoa up,
Is it good or bad, I had no idea on it,
I sail solo, Single handed, So I dont have any experts on board to tell me other wise,

She said its a Cat, You dont need a Main sail on a Cat, My 150 Genoa is all I need,

Now, I sail every where using only the Genoa, Whether its fully up or just a small tiny bit out in high winds, Or bare poles, in extreme winds,

40 knots plus is extreme winds, I do sail in them, I have no choice, I take it as it comes,
It does not bother me any more, Sailing in extreme winds, 20 foot waves,
Ive been through them all now,

Yes, I take my boat out when the weather forecast is for winds of 40 knots or above,, It is a sail boat,

My new Girlfriend, Never been on a boat before, I took her out with a forecast of 40 knots plus,
She wants to be on my boat, permanently, She needs to know what I sail in,
She loved it,

She did get scared in high winds and 3 metre seas on the nose in Bass Strait, But I explained to her, This was not a normal ocurrance for me as I usually run before the wind and the boat is smooth and flat,
But we need to get out of the wind into the cove, So we are banging into the wind, 3 metre waves to get there, And doing 9 knots on the Genoa,

We are waiting for the covid to open the borders here, Then we are doing an 18,000 Nmile trip around Australia,
All will be done on the Genoa only,
My main sail is strapped down and the boom cant move,

Even better, I will be doing it on a Chinese GPS, 8 inch ONWA, Hahahha
Yes, Its exactly the same as the Garmin GPS Im replacing,
I made a swivel Bracket for it, I can sit in the salon and watch the GPS in Comfort, My Autopilot drives my boat,

Ive done about 1000 Nmiles since my total rebuild of my Cat, Shake down cruises,
Been thru the RIP twice, Once at 2-30 AM, I had to try it out, Hahahaha
That was a wild ride home, Hahahaha Severe weather warning, 40 knots plus,
It proved how good my Cat actually is, For a so called coastal cruiser,
All in Westernport bay and Bass Strait,
Next it will be straight up the Tasman sea thru the Great barrier Reef and across the top to Darwin and the Kimberlys,
Southern Ocean on the way home, Via Perth,

FWIW, Im 72 years old, And I scare people with the things I do,
I ride a big fast Motor cycle, Honda Blackbird 1100XX I have done 147,000 kays on it,
I strap planks of wood on my feet and throw myself of tall mountains, Black runs,
Im Old, Not Bloody slow, Hahahahaha
I sail at night too, I love it at night,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat. Wind Generator, dinghy, ONWA GPS Wifi Dongle (6).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	220438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat. Wind Generator, dinghy, ONWA GPS Wifi Dongle (3).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	220439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat at Yaringa, great piccy,.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	220440  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 20:20   #55

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Quote:
C'mon.

I take back my words then. I swallow them. I did not want to sound 'personal'. I am not a native speaker. Where I grew up, we were brought up 'tough'. Not necessarily civilized, in the English meaning of this word. Imagine a big black Nigerian: we talk loud and live large. This is where our masculinity finds its best expression. But we are soft at heart indeed, just what you hear when you ask any suburban youth about their misbehaving Stafford.

I speak some other languages and each has its own boundaries on what is funny, permissible or no longer so. And I did notice at CF some of my language is found offensive, when I never meant to offend; much as I tried to express what I was saying in a colorful, dramatic even, manner. Social Media is full of such fake drama. Drama 'sells' the posts.

So, I ask, wait: I BEG you, PLS disregard my earlier post, and let's return to sailing.

Exactly.

Like - why is a cunningham not required in a cruising sail?

barnakiel
That's fine man.Looking at your post here you know what you are talking about. We are on the same page.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hull, multihull