Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 09:25   #1

Multihull experience wanted

Hi, my wife and I (mono hull sailors) are considering buying a Cruising Cat and before doing so would like some sailing experience in handling of same. Happy to pay a reasonable contribution..I hold a Brit' Yacht Master's Cert'. My wife whom is a Cardiac Nurse (also a great cook) holds RYA Day Skipper and Powerboat level 2....While we are non-smokers, we do enjoy a social drink.
Preference to sail with another couple in a warm climate, we are currently UK based with availability late Jan 2013 on?

Cheers.
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 10:56   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Multihull experience wanted

As one who sailed monohulls for many years and then purchased a cruising cat and single handed her for thousands of miles I have to ask- what is the difference between sailing a monohull and sailing a cat? And what do you expect to learn by crewing on another persons boat if you are already competent on a monohull?

The only real difference I could find was in the absolute joy of docking with twin engines. Other than that (and it took me two minutes to master it- stop using the rudder under 3 kts and concentrate on the engines) there really isn't any difference. Sure the cat is faster off of the wind and sometimes it doesn't like to come about. But these differences can be experienced on a beach cat or figured out in an afternoon sail with a cruising cat and in any case aren't life threatening.

I guess the only possible life threatening issue is when to reduce sail or change course to avoid the rare possibility of turning turtle. I never came close with my cat. That knowledge comes from sailing many miles with your specific cat.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 11:14   #3

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Multihull experience wanted

A cruising cat is very expensive. It makes perfect sense to experience live-aboard on one before making that kind of investment.

Some mono sailors find they don't like the way a cat moves or handles.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 11:23   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We made the change and love the Cat though not quite ready to move aboard get we hope to in two years. Many cats handle differently just as many monos handle differently. Its funny when people think its all black and white cats handle one way monos another.... Best wishes!!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull, wanted