Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 11:26   #121
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
SailfastTri, I'm with you on this one! You are lifting the windward hull, starting to bury the leeward bow and approaching the point of no return (if not beyond, depending upon where in a sequence the photo was taken). I'd turn off to leeward while releasing the jib sheet and then try to sort things out for the purpose of reefing.

I must say, however, that this cat is decidedly more high-performance than mine (and hence more likely to experience a significant increase in apparent wind with a turn to windward); further the freeboard (and in particular, the height of the bows) is much lower than on my boat. While it is possible that in my most frightening experience (referred to above), my leeward hull at the peak of the onset of the squall was similarly elevated, I doubt it. What is certain is that my leeward bow was in nowhere near as precarious a state. In those circumstances, by heading up gradually to windward until the sheeted out main luffed I was able to then move the traveller to leeward, head off slightly (only to the point that the jib started drawing properly), reef the still luffing main while still sailing to windward on the jib, sheet in the main then let out the jib, adjust the sheet leads forward, reef the jib, sheet it in and carry on. Not exactly 'no muss', but pretty efficient and safe with a crew of two (and yes, my partner had started the diesels for insurance).

But for that boat as depicted in that photo - no way!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:30   #122

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
That's a really cool image, and it looks like a nice boat. Blue Skye, if that boat in your image got hit with a strong gust (at the point in time that picture was taken) and rounded-up it would not be the best move. Period.
Definitely downwind. Both daggerboards are up.

If that guy driving has any sense, he would be seriously thinking about
reefing. IMHO, he's closer to the edge than he knows. If he needed to head up a little to avoid another boat or other object, he'd be flying the windward hull. The leeward bow is lower than the windward stern by quite a bit which if it hit a wave just right would contribute to a "stuff". That would instantly greatly increase the apparent wind which would further exacerbate the danger of a diagonal pitchpole over the leeward bow.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 14:56   #123

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
dagger boards

light conditions up heavy down this reduces the strain on the rudders!!

Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:22   #124
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thiis is true Bill, although fully deployed boards reduce side slip and can actually increase your risk of a capsize if you are suddenly and massively overpowered.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 20:29   #125

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Definitely downwind. Both daggerboards are up.

If that guy driving has any sense, he would be seriously thinking about
reefing. IMHO, he's closer to the edge than he knows. If he needed to head up a little to avoid another boat or other object, he'd be flying the windward hull. The leeward bow is lower than the windward stern by quite a bit which if it hit a wave just right would contribute to a "stuff". That would instantly greatly increase the apparent wind which would further exacerbate the danger of a diagonal pitchpole over the leeward bow.

Steve B.
I suspect he knows exactly how close to the edge he is. If I'm not mistaken that is the "Green Flash" owned and raced by Dave Calvert of Calvert Sails.

Calvert Sails - Multihull Performance Sails for Racing and Cruising

He made a great main and asymm for my Catana 48.

Mark.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 21:07   #126

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
A good (late) friend of mine who owned a Formula 40 tri found out too late where the edge was when he capsized in November in the PNW.

Later he said, something like, "I've been there several times, but I had no idea I was that close!"

I witnessed one of his close encounters while racing on another tri during a summer race on Lake Washington. He totally smoked everyone, arriving at the start line after all the other entrants were long gone. By the time we were on the 3rd leg of an evening beer can race, he had passed everyone, even passing a boat pulling a guy on a water ski.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, multihull