Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Gideon: did you at one time have a +/- 11 meter cat? What is your take on the Jaz 37
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Gee that doesnt sound like much either

I must have just had an overly generous sailplan, but I always considered Simpson cats were fairly conservative.

Here are the specs in the pics, we started with the 9m ground effect (pic 1), widened her beam to 21 ft, added a couple of feet in length and went the bigger mast section like on the Sinewave (pic 2) and upped the sail area like the Sinewave and Backslash.(the Backslash would be a wild boat if a good one was built)

The heady he had allowed for was a non overlapping headsail, but we added considerably to that to get the numbers up close to the 60ish m2 for a 31ftx21ft weighing around 2200kg.

Would explain why we had to think fairly seriously about a tuck in the main and a heady change in 15 knots, but she sailed like a dream in 5 knots of wind

Dave
The design might have been conservative to start with, but it does sound like you modified the design and sailplan pretty extensively.

The Mango I raced on was built to the plan, except that the mast section was heavier as it was bought second-hand. Sail area was stock. (The newer Mango design is a foot longer.)

We were reefing at around 20 - 25 kts. The boat sailed well enough to leave a Fusion for dead, I'd expect your boat would have been a fair bit faster, especially in light stuff.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

www.moxieyachts.com is up.
Old 12-10-2008, 19:32   #19

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Wow

That Moxie 61 is pretty interesting looking.
I wonder what kind of headroom it has? How about the 37?
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 23:55   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Gideon: did you at one time have a +/- 11 meter cat? What is your take on the Jaz 37
Hallo Sandy

yes we did produce the FastCat 395 , 12.10 in length that was made in the mould of the Maxim 380 only different rudders , keels and produced in Epoxy thru resin infusion with a total weight of 5500 kilo instead of 8500 .
Unfortunately this cat was shipped on board a steamer and caught fire in a storm and burned to rubble.

I think the Jaz 37 is a very nice cat , a real weekender and knowing Uwe Jasperson it is well produced quality cat.
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 05:05   #21

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post

I think the Jaz 37 is a very nice cat , a real weekender and knowing Uwe Jasperson it is well produced quality cat.
Greetings

Gideon
I spoke with Uwe at the boat show and discovered he was the production manager at Voyage when our cat was built.

AS far as the Moxie, I stepped on board and got off without going in the cockpit even. The roof is too short to enter the cockpit without stepping around the post and has a line to step/trip over in that direction. My wife went on board and came off not impressed to say the least. The boat does look different, better in person than on the photos.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 13:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just got back from sailing the Moxie 37. What a remarkable cat!
The weather forecast wasn't very exciting this morning; temps in the high seventies, and winds no more that 5 knots, but I crawled out of be in the early pre-noon hours and got to Performance Catamarans (Gemini) at the appointed time. Unfortunately, the appointer didn't tell the Jaspersens about me, or a magazine writer, or a photo shoot appointment. Accustomed as I am to noble sanguinity, I waited and watched the Demo Days Circus. There wasn't anything else there that I wanted to ride, except for the two tris, and those aren't on my shopping list. But Uwe and company did show up and I had them to myself.
I mentioned that I was impressed with the quality of construction and finish of this boat, hull #1. But when we got the sails up, two things happened for (My) first time: I wasn't bored with 5 knots of wind, and I SAILED AT TWICE THE SPEED OF THE WIND ON A CATAMARAN WITH TWO BATHROOMS.
I came armed with my own GPS and anemometer, and they are both accurate. Uwe hoisted his brand new Code Zero in less that 3 knots of wind, and we saw a steady 5 to 6 knots of boat speed in slack water, for more than 10 minutes. The boat steered like it was on tracks. I left the helm to grab my phone, and since it was still on heading, I let it go to see how long it would track, admittedly with well trimmed sails. It took four minutes for me to get bored with that.
we cracked off below a broad reach and nudged right up to FASTER THAN APPARENT WIND SPEED. That's something I thought only sport cats and A class cats did. And that was with both boards down, so they have to be only modestly asymmetrical, even though there is an obvious hollow in the 'bottom' camber. Go figure.
We came up to perhaps 70 degrees apparent with the 1200 foot square Code Zero, which was a beautiful shape. We didn't fly the screecher, but we did hoist the chute, a beautiful solid blue with a truly easy to use sock, using the same sheets. It sailed up to about 80 degrees off the wind
So here's the final word: [drum roll] Will it go to weather? Yes. With the jib She tacked repeatedly in less than 90 degrees. On the jib alone, you need only turn the wheel, release the mast control line on one side, and tighten it on the other. With the mast centered, you would only have to push the tack button on your autopilot. Tacking the Code Zero is a bit more complicated, but we did it several times on the first trip. We went out again with several writers and met the photo boat. Needless to say, we blew a few tacks. All I can say is "It wasn't me at the helm!" Well, maybe for one of them I was. After all, its a cat.
This boat is light, (7200 pound) fast, simple, and strong. Its also very expensive, at $390,000 US. Another 40K could get you a MaineCat. It is NOT a boat to load up with lots of stuff and a bunch of electrical capacity. It is a boat that should be treated as a thoroughbred, and needs nothing more than a small navigation system to take you anywhere coast-wise or in the islands at a very brisk clip. It has good storage which must not be filled up. But beware of megabuck 60 foot racing machines. They HATE being passed by people lounging on their cabin roof.

p.s. Uwe really doesn't like outboard engines. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my 10,000 pound 36 foot cat is faster with two 8hp yamahas, than his with two 14 hp diesel saildrives. But so what, with a boat that tacks that tight, I wouldn't HAVE to run my engines to get back up the river.
Old 27-10-2008, 09:21   #23

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Any other info available on the Moxie 61?
It looks like an amazing boat! I've googled all over the place... not much found.
Anyone?
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:04   #24

Solarbri,

The Moxie 61 is a VPLP design and hull #1 is under construction at Jaz Marine. Go to the Moxie Yachts web site for renderings and specs. The boat will be built with carbon hulls and should offer a level of performance comparable to the Gun Boat in a more contemporary design.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:45   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Goto:
Moxie Yachts
Click on: M61

Moxie Yachts started work on the M61 in 2008 in its Cape Town yard, Jaz Marine. After female moulds were built in the spring of 2008, hull layup started in the summer and is continuing through the fall. Launch of the M61 Hull #1 is scheduled for year-end 2009.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 07:22   #26

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Helm location

What struck me was the helm location which is forward of the main salon and almost directly beneath the mast. As I am a constant sail watcher I found it difficult to crook my head straight up to view my main. Did anyone else experience this?
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 22:19   #27

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
Re: Moxieyachts stillborn?

[QUOTE=vegas;211435]My understanding is the boat started as an Island Hopper 34 and was extended to 37 and briefly sold as a Gunboat 37. There were some issues with that design."

I know this is an old thread...but does anyone know what issues were with this original Island Hopper 37???? as it is for sale in Florida....

cheers
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote