Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2020, 16:32   #16

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Moving anchor roller on a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8escape View Post
I too, am contemplating by anchor set up on a 38' cat. Currently no windlass or bow roller is on the boat. I will have a 4' A frame bowsprit and want to keep my tramps clean and uncluttered (no catwalk).

Thinking of leading rode under tramp to the crossbar and deploying from underside. This should allow easier bridle attachment and avoid hull chafe when droping/weighing. Is anyone aware of a bow-roller designed to install under a crossbar? Or is that a custom fabrication.
i believe most bow rollers on cats are custom fabrication

btw : we are very happy with our chain above the tramp, for all sorts of reasons. ease of inspecting anchor swivel / shackle etc is one

cheers,
Old 20-09-2020, 17:42   #17

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8escape View Post
I too, am contemplating by anchor set up on a 38' cat. Currently no windlass or bow roller is on the boat. I will have a 4' A frame bowsprit and want to keep my tramps clean and uncluttered (no catwalk).

Thinking of leading rode under tramp to the crossbar and deploying from underside. This should allow easier bridle attachment and avoid hull chafe when droping/weighing. Is anyone aware of a bow-roller designed to install under a crossbar? Or is that a custom fabrication.

Likely a custom design and fabrication. If possible two rollers that will hold your anchor securely and high up out of the water. Shouldn’t be too expensive built in aluminium plate.

As pointed out earlier, if you intend to mount an A-frame or bow pole for a screecher, gennaker, asymmetric, etc and assuming you have an aluminium front beam, then the beam will need to be supported against compression from the A-frame/pole by at least a strut from your main beam. Turning the strut into a catwalk will provide several additional benefits.

Depending on the length of the run from the roller assembly to the windlass or cleat or whatever you have back at the main beam, you will need to support the rode to keep it from drooping. This will be particularly important for chain rode. If no catwalk this will be quite difficult.

We have a catwalk and the bow roller is built into and under the catwalk immediately behind our front beam. The chain goes on top of the catwalk and the anchor windlass is also located on the catwalk immediately in front of the main beam. Benefits are easy access to chain and anchor when up, clean front beam with no anchor or chain above, in front or under the beam, anchor rode can be seen through the trampolines from the helm, hard catwalk provides firm footed access to forestay and front beam, we store our passarelle on the catwalk, anchor is held high without interfering with sails or footing.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 19:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Robertson & Caine 4600 Cat

That’s old school, reinventing the wheel
SAMPATICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 19:48   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If your installing a bowsprit it would probably be advisable to install some form of compression strut from the crossbeam to the forward edge of the bridgedeck, otherwise your crossbeam may buckle under the loads.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Tags
anchor