Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 21:53   #91

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Motion In The Ocean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Alright, now I get it. You have your bias, and frequently show it and that's OK. Meanwhile I have my bias, but for me to show it, or even mention facts that support that position isn't OK.
It's the way you do it 44, that's the problem. You obviously are a very knowledgeable guy regarding Cats both sailing and construction of, I read your posts and learn from them. If I had a cat question your the guy I'd ask as I respect your earnt knowledge.

Talking about your preferred ride and explaining, even debating the reasons why is more than OK, it's healthy but aggression and rudeness isn't.

I understand your annoyance regarding some of the ignorance BUT it's not just you that ignorance is aimed at. I have a fin keeled, spade rudder, production boat that has an inmast furler, you don't think I hear stupid things? Just the other night a cat owner commented on how he could never have a bolt on keel, the hilarious thing is a beneteau owner the same night said cats are dangerous!

In reality the ignorance makes up a miniscule percentage of cruisers conversations, therefore who cares.

BTW, I've read Jim's posts for years, I have found them very well reasoned, and balanced, I have not heard him speak in a prejudice way against catamarans. Many years of experience combined with intelligence makes him a great source of information.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 00:22   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's the way you do it 44, that's the problem. .
Pot, meet kettle.
"You weren't just stating facts, you were underhandly implying something more and you know it. You cry prejudice yet don't check your own.?"

44 provided facts and you don't like them? All your reply had to do was provide counter facts. His facts, your facts, seems simple.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 01:34   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
"You weren't just stating facts, you were underhandly implying something more and you know it. You cry prejudice yet don't check your own.?"

44 provided facts and you don't like them? All your reply had to do was provide counter facts. His facts, your facts, seems simple.
That's your take on it.
Old 21-06-2018, 04:07   #94

Quote:

Talking about your preferred ride and explaining, even debating the reasons why is more than OK, it's healthy but aggression and rudeness isn't.
Ok, curiosity has got me. What on earth did you find aggressive or rude about my post concerning the trip to Vanuatu?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:58   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ok, curiosity has got me. What on earth did you find aggressive or rude about my post concerning the trip to Vanuatu?
Hi 44, first up I'd like to say I shouldn't of even commented. This is a very good forum yet stupid squabbling like this is far to prevalent, sometimes I think of it as "conflict forum". Sadly for me I also contribute at times to the unnecessary conflict, as I just did. There's many members that show much better restraint.

Regarding your question, I didn't find your post rude or aggressive, I found it indirectly implying something more, as both Jim and myself have pointed out in previous posts, I don't question the "facts" as you say, I question your intent regarding the post. I now have 14 international boats anchored around me, 12 are monos, all yachts are run by couples, no wives flying in.

The accusations of our biases gets tiring. I for one want a large cat in the future BUT that doesn't blind me to what I consider weaknesses that cats have, or let's say qualities I'd prefer they didn't have. These should be able to be discussed with out fear of a ridicule or accusations of bias. All in all I think large cats are the best cruising platforms and are a proven one.

In regards to my comment regarding rudeness and aggression, there's several multihull people here that take the debate past healthy, they attack the man and not the ball, it's regular and unnecessary and this is what I'm referring to with my "rude and aggressive comment" It's to a point that many others including people like Steady often finish any multi hull comment with something along the lines of " this isn't intended to be an attack on catamarans" it's almost like we are apologising in advance in order not to offend, it shouldn't be like this.

I understand your frustration, there are stupid uneducated statements made everyday BUT not just about cats.

I'm going to do my best to not engage in future if I feel it's going to be anything but respectful debate , I'm all for that.

I hope the above is recieved as it is intended, not as an attack but as an answer to your question.
Old 21-06-2018, 15:42   #96

Quote:

In regards to my comment regarding rudeness and aggression, there's several multihull people here that take the debate past healthy, they attack the man and not the ball, ...
You mean like you did?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 16:28   #97

C’mon fellas, enough already.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 16:59   #98

Boat: SOLD

Why not add a new sección in the forum : "catamaran versus monohull", so all this bull...it has its own place? That way the rest of us can enjoy reading and discussing like adults that have something in common
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 17:03   #99
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Why not add a new sección in the forum : "catamaran versus monohull", so all this bull...it has its own place? That way the rest of us can enjoy reading and discussing like adults that have something in common

You just added fuel to the fire, is that your idea of an adult conversation?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote